PDA

View Full Version : Keep getting brass smears from my new sizer die

NavyRedneck
01-03-2010, 06:32 PM
I have a brand new set of Lee deluxe dies for .223. I started by washing, drying, and then tumbling the brass. I had 700 set aside that I needed to trim so I've been sizing them. I applied Lee sizing lube by cutting it down with Isopropyl alcohol and spraying the case and neck but only on one side. I then let them dry.

After 300 or so cases I had brass smears so I took the die apart and cleaned it up with crocus cloth. After 10 more cases it's back. I try and try but can't get all the smears from inside the die. Is it possible the die is already scratched? I've also tried Hoppe's solvent to clean up the die but that hasn't helped either.

iron mule
01-03-2010, 06:47 PM
my guess is that you need to relube the cases // or better yet lube them on a pad // what may have happened is that the alchol cut the lube too thin and when it evaporated there was not enough left on the case
mule

35remington
01-03-2010, 07:26 PM
Problems:

1) Spraying the case on only one side

2) Excessive thinning of the lube

Lube all of the case. Try the lube straight, uncut, and see if your problems don't go away.

As I see it, the choices you've made are causing your problems. Self inflicted problems should be the easiest to cure.

I'd advise against "cleaning up" the die with crocus cloth. The die isn't the issue...it's your technique. "Cleaning up" the die may make it out of round, depending upon just how much "cleaning up" you did. It's doubtful this improved things in any way.

Johnch
01-03-2010, 08:06 PM
Also
Is it posible that the brass isn't entering the dies straight

I had crud in a shell holder that caused the rim to not fully go into the shell holder
Causing me nothing but problems
Or the shell holder might not be inserted into the ram all the way

Dosn't have to be much

John

1hole
01-03-2010, 09:00 PM
Dirty shell holders can make things worse but the basic problem here is improper case lubing.

Don't understand the logic of cutting any kind of case lube and then only applying to "one side". ????

Well, I guess I only apply it to one side too; the outside! :mrgreen:

Bullshop Junior
01-03-2010, 09:35 PM
You need a better case lube. The spray on stuff will evaporate.

You need BULLSIZE!!

01-03-2010, 10:37 PM
NavyRedneck,

I'm surprised cases weren't getting stuck in the die.

Use Lee's lube straight and apply to the entire body, using your fingers. (Directions say that it can be diluted with water, but ignore it.) Don't get any on the neck. A little will go a long way.

After sizing, wipe the brass with a slightly damp cloth followed by a clean, dry cloth.

Don't forget to clean the inside of the die, when you are done.

Bullshop Junior
01-04-2010, 05:32 PM
NavyRedneck,

I'm surprised cases weren't getting stuck in the die.

Use Lee's lube straight and apply to the entire body, using your fingers. (Directions say that it can be diluted with water, but ignore it.) Don't get any on the neck. A little will go a long way.

After sizing, wipe the brass with a slightly damp cloth followed by a clean, dry cloth.

Don't forget to clean the inside of the die, when you are done.
I have learned to ignore all of lees directions. :mrgreen:

jmorris
01-04-2010, 07:40 PM
This one reminds me of the homemade flux/media/polish threads you are at the cheapest parts of reloading. The only problem is trying to skimp on these critical parts can be very frustrating (if you don’t believe me try the kitty litter media trick once). Save your money on cast bullets, wheel weights and pick up brass and use what’s proven for the rest (I like Dillon lube, 2-4 squirts per 300 .223 cases) it will make you a happy reloader. If the surface finish you put inside the die is rough you will just make it worse. Either way any problems can be fixed by the factory, many times, at no cost other than shipping and time down, but it makes doing it “right” seem cheap sometimes.

340six
01-04-2010, 07:47 PM
Go to the drug store and get some lanolin and alky mix up some lube spray both sides and use it soon after spraying. $0.02

340six
01-04-2010, 08:09 PM
Anything is better than a stuck case. So what if it has a smear at leasy it went ine and out and sized the brass.

fourdollarbill
01-05-2010, 09:32 AM
If your using a 4 or 5 hole Lee progressive press the die plate alignment could off a hair. I had this happen a few times. I tried 3 plates and two were good. The third plate alignment was off and tilted the brass as it went in. I still use it for the less accurate plinkers.

mike in co
01-05-2010, 01:26 PM
LETS START BY GETTING THE CASES PROPERLY LUBED.

take a baggie...bigger is better one gallon, bread bag. put in 200-300 cases, spray probably 2 solid squirts, shake the bag, turn it over. roll it...dump the brass in a container. let sit for a few min, and go to work.

mike in co