PDA

View Full Version : Forster Case Trimmer - Motorize?

FISH4BUGS
01-03-2010, 05:20 PM
I have 2500+ Cavim 90 and 91 308's and some 3000+ WCC 94 223's to size, trim and swage. I cannot even think how it would be possible to trim those with my Forster Trimmer. I will need to trim after every firing. Shooting the 223 in an M16 leads to lots of brass that needs trimming. The 308 is in a bolt rifle so that won't be too bad....I don't need thousands of those.
Has anyone ever motorized one? How did you do it? How did it work?
I like the time in the man cave with the heater and the radio going (what else do you do in winter in NH?) but facing some 40+ hours of trimming MANUALLY doesn't seem to be a good use of my time. I am done with about 400 308's but my shoulders and wrists are killing me as it is.
I am reluctant to get a Dillon Rapid Trim but if that is what it takes that is what it takes.

Larry Gibson
01-03-2010, 05:39 PM
Forster sells an adaptor to use an electric screw driver in lieu of the handle. They are inexpensive and well worth it, even for small trimming jobs. In particular is when using the Forster HP tool to HP cast bullets.

If you really want to save the time, hassle and work of trimming 7.62 and 5.56 cases and also avoid the associated incipient case head seperation invest in RCBS X-dies (the regular one, not the SB, work fine for gas guns). Using those you may have to trim once and then never again. I get 20+ firings without trimming cases used in my M1A/M14s and my ARs.

Larry Gibson

Bulletlube
01-03-2010, 08:16 PM
I use a 1/4 drive electric drill hung from a chain so I don't bend the shaft from the weight of the drill.

jhrosier
01-03-2010, 09:20 PM
Turn the Forster cutter at low speed and make absolutely sure to lube the cutter shaft or it will sieze up.

IIRC, Forster also makes a power case trimmer designed for heavy use. It requires a drill press.

Jack

jmorris
01-04-2010, 12:05 PM
I hooked a gear reduced motor to my Forster case trimmer it's great for small lots and turning necks but I couldn't imagine doing thousands of cases with it.

On the other hand it only takes about an hour to size and trim 1800 cases with my dillon.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o213/jmorrismetal/trimmer.jpg

lead-1
01-05-2010, 12:20 AM
A few years back I had several thousand 7.62x51, 30-06 and .223/5.56 brass to trim and a friend of mine had a couple thousand also. I did 1000 by hand and I'll tell you what, my forarms were so tight that I thought they would burst. I said what can I do cheap, because I had enough? I took an extension for cordless screwdrivers and tapped right into it 1/4x20 thread, even though that isn't many threads inside the female hex it is more than enough to hold this project. I had an old cordless screwdriver that wouldn't hold a charge long enough to walk over to the screw, it was a 3.6 volt so I looked at a 6 volt lantern battery and though it is more volts it is about the same amps and what was I out if it didn't work, it was already junk and I'm a pack rat so? I then measured out a rest to hold the driver at the right height with a piece of wood and a couple wire ties to hold them together, this driver had two bare contacts on the outside for it to rest in a charger so I soldered a wire on each one and put an aligator clip on the wires to hook it to the battery. A set screw on the drivers chuck holds the bit that threads onto the Forster Trimmer shaft and away we go. After a couple hundred pieces of brass I thought this is slow, so what the hey, if one is good then two is better right. I put a second battery in the mix by connecting (+) to (+) and (-) to (-), same volts and a little more amps, it increased the speed quite a bit and all was happy, push the button and we're off, between me and my friend we did at least 10,000 pieces of brass. We used like six batteries, but these batteries were at least 5 years old and not the best of quality.
Hint: a 6 volt battery charger with a trickle setting saves on batteries just leave one battery in there as a buffer.

http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/9458/trim4w.th.jpg (http://img14.imageshack.us/i/trim4w.jpg/)