PDA

View Full Version : My new toy

KTN
05-27-2006, 02:27 PM
Here´s my new toy.I have been planning to buy lathe for at least 10 years,and I finally got it,and my little playhouse for it.Here´s also my first work on lathe,.501" sizer die.

Kaj

MT Gianni
05-27-2006, 05:42 PM
Congratulations, Looks great. Gianni.

versifier
05-27-2006, 05:44 PM
Don't talk to me. I'm jealous. :mrgreen:

redneckdan
05-27-2006, 05:58 PM
hell, I don't have a work shop yet, let alone a lathe:roll:

HTRN
05-27-2006, 06:13 PM
hell, I don't have a work shop yet, let alone a lathe:roll:

I have, the lathe, the mill, the Drill press, the "Electric Tombstone", et al, I just don't have enough space.

A word of advice to all: There is no such thing as too big a workshop!

HTRN

redneckdan
05-27-2006, 07:29 PM
A word of advice to all: There is no such thing as too big a workshop!

HTRN

Once I get out of college and get a place of my own, I'd like to build a shop. I'm figurin on a building at least 50'x100', remote from the house. Don't want the family complaining about vibrations when I fire the lathe up.:-D

Frank46
05-28-2006, 04:40 AM
Now, lemme see. First off you'll need catalogs from, enco, travers tools, manhattan supply corp, grizzley, mcmaster-carr and maybe others. Then there are the subscriptions to at least two home shop machinist magazines. Then by the time your eyes have become glossy from reading the catalogs you WILL have a serious case of the GIMMEE"S. Or I want that. Welcome to the club. Frank

kenjuudo
05-28-2006, 05:56 AM
:bigsmyl2: AARGGG!!!!! Get that T-handle out of that chuck:bigsmyl2:

Buckshot
05-28-2006, 08:00 AM

..................Heh, heh, heh! Spoken like one who has prolly seen a few launched!

Nice looking unit! What is that, a 13x36, er a 3.25cm x 9cm :-). When I got my lathe (11x36 Logan) I got several chucks with it. Since I didn't have a phase converter for a week or so (and I couldn't stay away from it) I took that as a good time to find out about what the insides of those chucks looked like. Plus I could clean and oil'em. I can tell you if you do the same that you only need to LIGHTLY oil them and use a bit of grease on the scroll. I have a couple T shirts with an oil racing stripe up the left side. Also an oil stripe across the ceiling of the garage and down the opposite wall!

It looks like a gap bed, I don't know who made the lathe but I'd be real carefull about ever using the gap. It just may not go back the same! Anyway, now the expensive part comes. That's buying tooling! You married? Does your wife work? If so maybe you can schedule parcel delivery for when she's not there, HA!

If she is there you should act very casual and uninterested when she says, "Oh honey, you got a package from some tool company". Best if you say, "Oh really? Hmmm, I don't recall ordering anything." Then you get this thoughtfull look on your face and say, "Oh yeah, NOW I remember. Heck, I forgot all about that".

Let it set there for a few hours. Contain yourself! You've waited what, 2-3 days already, so what's another hour or 2? Then after awile come pick it up and mention you might as well take it out to the shop. Once in the santum of your shop you can open it and dance around like a sugered up 3 year old. Been there, done that!

This is what has worked out real well for me, below:

http://www.fototime.com/0E0BCC832ABA9CC/standard.jpg

I made a frame out of 1x1 inch steel tube and attached it to the back of the lathe's cabinet. I scrwewed on shelf bracket standards. For shelving I bought a 4' x10" vinyl covered wire shelf and cut it into 3 pieces for shelves. That way you can handily park a lot of stuff you need all the time and can keep it off the top of the headstock. Down at the tailsock end the wire makes it handy to stick the morse tapers through for your centers and drill chucks, etc, and etc.

That's a good looking die you made. You're on your way! You can go show your wife stuff you've made maybe 2-3 times. She'll be happy because you're obviously happy, but she could care less what that metal thing is you're holding. If you try and go beyond the 2-3 new creations you'll begin to be met with elevating degrees of boredom. I don't care if you're in Finland or on the moon, 99.9% of women are the same and that's what will happen. That is unless your wife teaches Kindergarten. If so she'll know how to deal with excited 4 year olds, HA!

......................Buckshot

redneckdan
05-28-2006, 10:31 AM

I got slapped in my machine class once fer that. However, I never turn the machine on without first checking the chuck. One of the machine shops I worked at on campus has springs over the square shaft, okay idea, pain in the ass to use.:roll:

HTRN
05-28-2006, 12:18 PM
Once I get out of college and get a place of my own, I'd like to build a shop. I'm figurin on a building at least 50'x100', remote from the house. Don't want the family complaining about vibrations when I fire the lathe up.:-D

Wait till you have to heat a building that big - there's a reason Airconditioning is fairly uncommon in Machine shops, it costs a bloody fortune.

While I would like a 50' x 100' building, it's not likely - building costs being what they are. More likely is a 20' x 50', as among other things, it can be built 2 story - 20 feet is the maximum free span of the common dimensional lumber(2x12's specifically). 5000 square feet is huge for a home shop, It's actually larger than the first commercial machine shop I worked in, and that place has 5 Haas VMC's. The real call for a home shop that big is automotive, although it is nice for, erm, "larger" lathes (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/HTRN/Machine%20Shop/biglathe.jpg).

I want a dedicated shop building not to tinker, but because I'm tired of working for others. I've even investigated renting space, but at around $900/month for 1000 sq. feet, It's just not possible.

And oh, since we're posting photo's of our toys:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/HTRN/Machine%20Shop/Mill.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/HTRN/Machine%20Shop/garage.jpg

And hopefully soon:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/HTRN/Machine%20Shop/BruteCNCmill2.jpg

HTRN

HTRN

redneckdan
05-28-2006, 12:32 PM
the reason I want a big shop is because of how many hobbies I have. The main ones are vintage snowmobiles, 4x4 trucks, boolitcasting, gunsmithing, and the list goes on. Once I get a bench and work area set up for each hobby, I'd eat up 5000 square feet right quick. As far as heat, it would be wood heat. I'm also half tempted to look into below ground level building. Maybe build into the side of a hill. Decent natural cooling/heating and it keeps you out of site of those evil black helicopters.[smilie=1:

HTRN
05-28-2006, 03:56 PM
You're going to find that Wood heat for a building that big isn't really practical. A better idea is a Geothermal Heat pump. Wood heat is good for direct radiation, but you'd need so many heat sources to cover a building that big.

And forget below grade - I've moved enough machinery into and out of basements to know what a hassle that is. Level with grade and a forklift is the way to go. Even with all your hobbies, you're going to find that's a really large building for it - outside of the trucks, most of your interests don't take up much real estate.

HTRN

redneckdan
05-28-2006, 06:14 PM
And forget below grade - I've moved enough machinery into and out of basements to know what a hassle that is. Level with grade and a forklift is the way to go.
HTRN

Not actually below grade I guess. I'm envisioning something where the building is built into the side of a hill. So I could have a big roll up door, and drive straight into the building. I was cruising the internet this afternoon and found info about building this way. People sink 12' culverts into the hill side and build their homes completely underground. I am probably over estimating my space needs, but I got at least another 5 years before I can start seriously thinking about that.

HTRN
05-28-2006, 06:25 PM
Not actually below grade I guess. I'm envisioning something where the building is built into the side of a hill. So I could have a big roll up door, and drive straight into the building. I was cruising the internet this afternoon and found info about building this way. People sink 12' culverts into the hill side and build their homes completely underground. I am probably over estimating my space needs, but I got at least another 5 years before I can start seriously thinking about that.

I think what you're going to find is that what you like, what you need, and what you can actually afford are three entirely seperate things. That 20x50 building I mentioned is probably going to cost $40K and I'd be doing all the work, which is why when I buy another house, I'm going to try and find one either with a barn or out building already on it. easier, in both time, money and headaches to renovate then build from scratch(for the most part).

And whatever you get, get a forklift, or at least a gantry crane - it makes life so much easier moving heavy stuff.

HTRN

redneckdan
05-28-2006, 08:39 PM
I think what you're going to find is that what you like, what you need, and what you can actually afford are three entirely seperate things. HTRN

I think you are right.:roll:

wills
05-28-2006, 10:13 PM
Cost estimates on buildings,

http://www.steelmasterusa.com/
Building Construction Cost Per Square Foot

Materials Labor Total
Traditional (wood, masonry, etc.) $20 to $35 $10 to $20 $30 to $55
SteelMaster® Building Kits $4 to $12 $3 to $4 (or FREE!) $7 to $16

crazy mark
05-28-2006, 11:20 PM
I've seen lathes and drill presses that had a safety switch that the chuck key had to be in before the machine would start. Mark

KTN
05-29-2006, 02:13 PM

:oops: ....And I was hoping nobody would notice[smilie=1:.Good thing theres a safety switch on the chuck cover.
Lathe is CZ-910,chuck diameter is 160mm=6.3",max.lenght is 914mm=36".Tooling is next on my list,then milling machine and then..............................
Since I´m not married and don´t have any expensive hobbies,I can spend my money on guns,shooting,reloading,boolit casting and machinery,and as we ALL know,reloading and boolit casting are great ways to SAVE money:mrgreen: .

Kaj