PDA

View Full Version : The road to perdition .......

Jack Stanley
01-02-2010, 09:51 PM
Well , some may think of the whole reloading and casting of projectile thing as the pathway to perdition . Depending on whose bench we look at here it's a path , road , four lane interstate or in some cases an autobahn .

One of the fellas I know was picking my carcass for information about reloading a couple years ago did get a loading kit and got a start . Being so cheap he squeaks walking and has the ability to make a Lincoln penny scream for liberty , he started asking about casting . Like the loading info , I told him what little I knew and gave him a handful of cast bullets for his hornet rifle to fool with . Apparently that was like salt on the tomato for him and he started getting casting stuff . Looking for more info about molds ( and talking my ear off while I'm inspecting bullets ) I invited him to come over and warm up the lead pot and look at a few molds .

Today , he showed up bearing gifts of lead and ready to see about "cheap" bullets . I started him off showing him the reject pile of bullets and let him figure out why I was gonna melt them back down , he could see the flaws and understood . Next , I showed him the reject pile that was gonna get shot at close range targets at thirty yards , he was surprised I called them rejects . Then he got to look at the bullets that I was gonna use for anything else and all he said was wow!

By that time the scrap was melted and I was warming up a mold . We went through the basics explaining the how and why of everything from fluxing and adding metal to inspecting the hot slugs while the mold is cooling . After I had about fifteen pounds of bullets in the pile , I put him in the drivers chair and talked him through it . He was rather shakey and uncertain at the start but the mold was warm enough that it was very forgiving of the student driver . He added another couple pounds to the pile and we called it quits ...... something about his wife was expecting him an hour earlier [smilie=f:

So as he was getting ready to leave I gave hime several hundred lubed and sized bullets for his revolver and the pile of bullets we had just cast . Rather surprised and appreciative at the same time I also added some extra credit to his "homework" I also gave hime the pile of rejects and a load recipe to run through his 1917 rifle . Never expecting all of this he offered to pay for everything and I just said " Nahhhh ..... ya gotta do your own homework !! "

I dunno ........... do ya think I set the hook deep enough ?

Jack

outdoorfan
01-02-2010, 10:06 PM
LOL!!! Ya GOT him!:bigsmyl2:

phishfood
01-02-2010, 10:21 PM
Won't'cha be MY neighbor?:D

Seriously, good on you setting up a new caster. I am new to this myself, and figuring stuff out as I go. It sure would be nice to have a hands and eyes on mentor, though I must say that people on this forum run a pretty close second.

swheeler
01-02-2010, 10:23 PM
You are a pusher! Got another junkie hooked, good job!

Edubya
01-02-2010, 10:59 PM
And I thought that I was amongst a group that had moral character. Geez, you let that man leave with wobbly knees and a heart beating so hard that you might have killed him! OTOH, now you will have competition for all of that silvery metal that you've been mining all alone for so many years. UNINTENDED CONSEQUENCES!:-?
EW

Jack Stanley
01-03-2010, 10:38 AM
Wobbly knees ? yep ! that started as soon as he picked up the bullets . Increased heart beat ? well ...... maybe not untill he'd carried them up a flight of stairs and out to his truck . Right off the bat he tried to forget his "homework" which included the loan of my .310" sizer die . Not to worry though , I let him think he was gonna leave it and I carried that up the stairs for him .

As for moral character , he's already been out to the range after a heavy rain a couple times and learned what a muffin tin is for . I used up three of the six ingots he brought without him knowing I'd slipped them in the pot to add some hocus and pocus to the bullets I gave him . The remaining three I have in an isolation cell to insure it doesn't "contaminate" my bunker stash and have all of it going to his place :pI ( in my best heavy German accent ) " I vill learn vaht cahlibers he hahs und I vill make heem cahst zem ze next time !!! " Gee ..... I can't imagine that I could possibly be a bad influence to him :smile:

Jack

jimb16
01-03-2010, 01:13 PM
Hooked him? Heck you even got him filleted!