PDA

View Full Version : Rewire a Lee Pot?

Mike W1
01-02-2010, 09:32 PM
My 2 old 10 pounders don't have polarized plugs and needless to say don't have a ground either.

Should a guy just replace both cords with a 3-wire or would just hooking a ground up to the "chassis" suffice?

What gauge wire should the cords be?

Spudgunr
01-02-2010, 09:48 PM
I'm not terribly sure why you would worry about it? Unless your current cords are worn out and need replacing anyway, but I really don't think I'd worry too much about it. Heating elements don't need to be polarized.

Mike W1
01-03-2010, 12:18 AM
Reason I've been thinking about it was an earlier post on here where a guy was getting shocked. Seems like his element went bad or something. May just add the ground for protection and peace of mind.

canebreaker
01-03-2010, 01:38 AM
If it gets to that point, it should trip a breaker.

Take it apart, find where it's grounding and add more insulation

lwknight
01-03-2010, 01:59 AM
The way that my 2 (both old and new) are wired with no insulation around the element would not matter which way its polarized. Most things have a ground to chasis but the Lee pot does not.
You cannot ground either side of the element but you can add a 3rd wire to ground the chasis just for extra safety.

DukeInFlorida
01-03-2010, 10:06 AM
Grounding your chassis PRESUMES that your outlet is wired right.

If your outlet is wired wrong, then you COULD be setting yourself up for a shock.

I'd skip the grounding, it's not needed. If your Lee pot starts arcing, call Lee, and tell them of the issue. They'll replace it very fast (versus risking lawsuits).

The10mmKid
01-03-2010, 10:27 AM
Mike,
Yes, use a 3-wire cord and ground it inside the aluminum control box.

The ground wire always needs to be the same size as the power wire. (exceptions are for higher current services)

I agree, is it really necessary. I'm always wearing gloves and I dare not touch the pot anywhere w/o the gloves. I'd get burned before getting shocked.

'da Kid

Mike W1
01-03-2010, 10:42 AM
Well the consensus is to skip grounding it. I'm not having any trouble with either pot and my outlets are wired properly. Wear gloves and generally have rubber boots on (usually only cast in the winter) so guess I'm safe as can be. Thanks for all the input!

montana_charlie
01-03-2010, 01:36 PM
After spending all that time worrying about yourself and your Lee pot, do you worry about your wife...and all those electrical appliances in her kitchen?
CM

Mike W1
01-03-2010, 02:17 PM
After spending all that time worrying about yourself and your Lee pot, do you worry about your wife...and all those electrical appliances in her kitchen?
CM

Probably should but I don't! Remember a night years ago when the wife and daughter rushed into the living room announcing a fire in the microwave wondering what to do about it. Seemed only logical to use the fire extinguisher we had for just such things to me so I did. Never figured out why it wasn't as logical for them though.

As noted earlier I'd never thought about the "potential" problem of an ungrounded pot until I read a post about it and I was thinking it was on here.

Anyhow I spent part of yesterday casting my slugs for the 45 and am just about to go out and do a few more once the shop warms up. We only hit -15 last night so gotta wait out the wood stove a bit longer.

Catshooter
01-03-2010, 04:29 PM
None of Lee's pots are set up with grounded cords. They must all be what is called "double insulated" or they would be grounded. You can change the cord out to a grounded if you like, just be sure to do as good a job installing the cord as they do. Entering the chassis properly is the hard part.

canebreaker,

That isn't the case. Many electrical leaks are great enough, and close enough to the breaker to cause it to trip, but I've seen quite a few over the years that wouldn't do the job. An electrical flow under 20 amps can easily kill a person and never bother the breaker.

Cat

TAWILDCATT
01-06-2010, 12:21 PM
the eliment on a lee pot is a steel tube with the heater inside.all insolated.
the cord is 2 prong.one wire goes to the switch and other goes to eliment. if you ground it ,and the hot wire wears you have trouble.if you dont know what your doing dont fidddle.

Mike W1
01-06-2010, 02:29 PM
A feedback from Lee on my questions to them. FWIW

To: "Mike Wilson" <mwil@butler-bremer.com>
Subject: Re: Wiring?
Date: Wednesday, January 06, 2010 8:56 AM

Mr. Wilson:

The third wire ground is not required by law in the United
States. In a foreign country, that third wire ground is required by law.

Thank You,
Lee Precision

At 08:29 PM 1/5/2010, you wrote:
>Sir:
>
>Now I guess I'd have to wonder why a 220V export model would need a
>third wire ground when our domestic 110v models don't?????
>
>----- Original Message -----
>From: <mailto:info@leeprecision.com>Lee Precision
>To: <mailto:mwil@butler-bremer.com>Mike Wilson
>Sent: Monday, January 04, 2010 3:56 PM
>Subject: Re: Wiring?
>
>Mr. Wilson:
>
>Our Export Models (220v) do have a third wire ground. Each of our
>pots are checked individually 100% for leakage. Each of them is
>plugged in and looked over to make sure everything is properly working.
>
>Thank You,
>Lee Precision
>
>At 07:02 PM 1/3/2010, you wrote:
>>I have often wondered why my (3 of them) Production Pots are not
>>equipped with a third wire ground. Seems like if something went
>>wrong with the unit it might be of at least some protection from
>>electrical shock.
>>

kyle623
01-06-2010, 02:41 PM
unless I read wrong, a 220 pot would have to be a three wire as 220 v is a 3 wire design anyway, where a 110 volt pot only needs 2 wires. I've never seen anything 220v with only 2 wires. I have an old lee production pot, not the IV and it still works fine. never been shocked yet.

Matt3357
01-06-2010, 03:58 PM
Kyle,

You can have 220v single phase which would be just like 110v single phase, except 220v. Most everything the common person would run into with 220v would be 3 phase (2 - 110v lines and a common) the reason you use 3 phase in residential is to get 110v on each leg and 3 phase wire does not need to be as large so it is cheaper than single phase 220 for industrial use. But 330 uses a 220 and a 110 and 440 uses 2 - 220's. Oh and Euro Regs are insane on everything including electrical connections.

Matt

kyle623
01-06-2010, 06:08 PM
we were talking residential use. but your point is valid Matt

Wally
01-06-2010, 06:16 PM
I use mine with a Ground Fault outlet (same as used in most bathrooms). You can make up one by palcing one in a regular junction box, mounted on a board and connect with an extension cord (you remove the female plug and attach the wires to the GF outlet.

Shiloh
01-06-2010, 07:06 PM
You can get any parts you need for a LEE pot from LEE.

See the icon at the top of the page for LEE

Shiloh

Catshooter
01-06-2010, 07:21 PM
Kyle,

You can have 220v single phase which would be just like 110v single phase, except 220v. This is correct.[COLOR="red"]Most everything the common person would run into with 220v would be 3 phase (2 - 110v lines and a common) [COLOR="red"]This is not. the reason you use 3 phase in residential is to get 110v on each leg and 3 phase wire does not need to be as large so it is cheaper than single phase 220 for industrial use. This is also not correct.But 330 uses a 220 and a 110I doubt this highly. and 440 uses 2 - 220's. It's not '440' in most of the US anymore, it's 480. And it doesn't use two lines of 240 either. Voltages do not add in the lineial fashion you are suggesting. Esp in three phase.Oh and Euro Regs are insane on everything including electrical connections.

Matt

Three phase means there are three ungrounded individual phases, each one is out of phase with the others. They are usually 120 degrees apart. The common is not a phase.

Three phase in a residential setting in the USA is very uncommon.

The leading reason to use three phase as opposed to single in industrial establishments is ecomomy. Also they tend to use motors, and motors over 10 hp are allmost never single phase. Just like motors over 450 hp aren't 480 volt. Not anymore.

I know people aren't on this forum to learn the electrical trade, but you might want to be a bit more careful in posting incorrect info.

Cat

ANeat
01-06-2010, 07:31 PM
Kyle,

You can have 220v single phase which would be just like 110v single phase, except 220v. Most everything the common person would run into with 220v would be 3 phase (2 - 110v lines and a common) the reason you use 3 phase in residential is to get 110v on each leg and 3 phase wire does not need to be as large so it is cheaper than single phase 220 for industrial use. But 330 uses a 220 and a 110 and 440 uses 2 - 220's. Oh and Euro Regs are insane on everything including electrical connections.

Matt

Wow:holysheep

deltaenterprizes
01-06-2010, 08:17 PM
None of Lee's pots are set up with grounded cords. They must all be what is called "double insulated" or they would be grounded. You can change the cord out to a grounded if you like, just be sure to do as good a job installing the cord as they do. Entering the chassis properly is the hard part.

canebreaker,

That isn't the case. Many electrical leaks are great enough, and close enough to the breaker to cause it to trip, but I've seen quite a few over the years that wouldn't do the job. An electrical flow under 20 amps can easily kill a person and never bother the breaker.

Cat

Amen Brother!

jsizemore
01-06-2010, 08:37 PM
Cat, THANK YOU!!!

Mike W1, there's nothing wrong with being safe. If your one of those guys that wear gloves, eye protection and breathing apparatus then I'm surpised you don't already have a grounded cord and plug on your pot already. I went to Lowe's and bought an extension cord for an air conditioner and a 3/8" Romex connector. I opened the hole up on the back of my Lee pot to accept the Romex connector and cut the female plug off the extension cord which made the cord about 5' long. I attached the ground to one of the internal mounting screws. The pot should only pull about 7 amps and the cord is rated for 20. The reason I went with the heavier cord is the insulating material is rated for a higher temp then most of the appliance cords readily available at most home centers. I know it's overkill, but that's the reason we're doing this anyway. It's a few dollars more but it will last your lifetime as long as no critter decides to chew on it. Give 'em a boolit to chew on instead. Mike W1, there is NOTHING wrong with being SAFE.

deltaenterprizes
01-06-2010, 08:44 PM
[QUOTE=Matt3357;769694]Kyle,

Three phase is just what it says, three phases of power not three wires. There is no such thing as 330VAC. I think there a few errors in your expalnation.

Catshooter
01-06-2010, 08:44 PM
jsizemore,

That's a good way to do it. It might have cost you a buck or two more, but ask Lloyd Smale if it's worth it. Wasn't it him that had his casting shed burn to the ground just a little while ago?

In the US electricity is common, it's everywhere, most of us interact with it many times a day and never give it a second thought. It's so easy to get complacent. Electricity kills. You don't want to live life terrified of it, just respectful. It's very unforgiving, and kinda quick too!

delta,

There are more than a few errors in his explanation.

Cat

jsizemore
01-06-2010, 09:01 PM
I was a Machinist Mate in the USN and we ran the mechanical end of the generators. Our superiors told us the other end was magic. They also told us that 1/10 of an amp could kill ya'. I saw a fella that found a hole in his insulated gloves while working on a ground mounted transformer. He was bright red and swelled up like a cooked sausage. He was steaming a little too. He came crawling out of the transformer on his own. The bang when he grounded sounded like a 38 special going off.

deltaenterprizes
01-06-2010, 09:11 PM
There is a great little green book that is sold at Home Depot named "Wiring Simplified" that explains residential and some light industrial wiring and is about $8, well worth the money. It won't make you an electrician but will give a lot of basic knowlege.