PDA

View Full Version : .433 lead balls not round

legend
01-02-2010, 09:30 PM
HI,i have a 433rb mold i was casting some to use in my contender in 44mag(44special cases) and they were ok,but,the seam between mold blocks was bugging me to no end and the sprue bump was kinda tall.the mold alignment pins need adjusting i think.

i had just emptyed my dillon case tumbler,and it was empty,so,i thought i would bounce some rb .433s around in it for a while and see what lead balls in an empty tumbler might do to make them a little "rounder".

the balls were out of round by a couple thousandths only so i gave it a try...
now mind you this was just lead balls in the dillon tool,no rat turds,cement blocks,pea gravel,or fish scales some of you guys use.

i put the lid on and started it up,good god it was loud!

so i went upstairs and made supper,i left it an hour.
when an hour was up i went down and took them out.

i was very pleased with how they looked,and all that bouncing around had made them MUCH "ROUNDER" also! they now were .433 all around,except for the sprue nub which was now much shorter and rounded off.they had been .432--.437 and now had been beaten into submition and are .433 just like they should be!!

YIPPEE now i am a happy camper(when you are old it dosent take much)

so i hope you can find a like use for this method,as it beats rolling between steel plates. i used about 4-5 pounds of the lead balls.

beagle
01-02-2010, 09:57 PM
If that fails, slightly "bump" them in a lubricator/sizer using a RN TP. That will give you a slightly pointy RB with a flat base but the sprue cut as well as the roundness is corrected./beagle

legend
01-03-2010, 04:37 AM
thanks john,thats a great thought.