PDA

View Full Version : gun show find..."96 swede

mike in co
01-02-2010, 09:14 PM
i have been looking for a second swede, so i could drill and tap one for a scope. so the search has been for 38's or a nice shooter grade. no luck for the last 2 years. last show was a very nice '96, but $400...
today i saw a nice '96. all matching numbers, no import marks...$300...too much....
it came back later in the day...a little change in both buyer and seller....all the money i made on some new 20rd ar/alloy follower mags and on the sale of a 22 rifle....reinvested in the swede.

i need to go do some research on reading the disc. 1924 carl g...bore is shinney with crisp sharp lands.
nice overall.....
and no this will not get drilled and tapped, my other rifle is a mismatch '96 and it will get the d&t.

mike in co

Jack Stanley
01-02-2010, 10:01 PM
Nice catch Mike !! I had one years ago that just loved the Norma hundred and sixty grain round nose loads . It did equally well with reloads using the Hornady one sixty grain and a heavy cast bullet I had for it .

You're gonna love it 8-)

Jack

Dutchman
01-02-2010, 10:15 PM
Put any questions here and I'll try and answer them.

Get some pictures up! Some of us thrive on the cheap thrills of other people's joy:).

Dutch

mike in co
01-02-2010, 10:16 PM
ok...disk is marked 6.50 with a bore condition of 1.

got a little copper in the bore, working on that.

i have some vintage norma 139 silver open base
hrndy 140 sst
sie 140 match king

too light for the 9 twist ?
mike in co
( the drill and tap rifle is a 1916, mismatch except for bolt/recvr. marked 6.51/no bore condition mark/0 marked over shoot at 100 meters, ohh and has a paper unit/soldier info tag, and rifle number)

Dutchman
01-02-2010, 10:20 PM
Its a 1:7.9 twist.

139 gr is what the m/41 ammo is. Sniper ammo originally.

I'm rather fond of Hornady 160 gr round nose as its the only bullet we have that mimics the original patron m/94. It can be very impressive in use.

Sounds like you got a real nice bore. 6.50mm is fairly tight. Typical of "used little".

Dutch

mike in co
01-02-2010, 11:13 PM
Put any questions here and I'll try and answer them.

Get some pictures up! Some of us thrive on the cheap thrills of other people's joy:).

Dutch

dutch,
i just read some of your stuff on gunboards...thanks

mike in co

higgins
01-03-2010, 12:43 PM
I recently looked at a 96 Swede that the seller had tagged as a naval rifle. I didn't see any unusual markings on it, so asked him what identified it as a naval rifle. First he says that he doesn't really know anything about these guns, but "someone told him" that something on the stock disc identified it as such. I told him that that particular disc had no indication of anything other than the usual information. I suspect that if I seemed a bit more gullible he would have told me that the "torped" or "torpedam" on the disc had something to do with torpedoes or torpedo boats. I also suspect he left it tagged as a naval rifle after "someone told him otherwise".

StarMetal
01-03-2010, 12:53 PM
I recently looked at a 96 Swede that the seller had tagged as a naval rifle. I didn't see any unusual markings on it, so asked him what identified it as a naval rifle. First he says that he doesn't really know anything about these guns, but "someone told him" that something on the stock disc identified it as such. I told him that that particular disc had no indication of anything other than the usual information. I suspect that if I seemed a bit more gullible he would have told me that the "torped" or "torpedam" on the disc had something to do with torpedoes or torpedo boats. I also suspect he left it tagged as a naval rifle after "someone told him otherwise".

Navy The Swedish Navy often used;
Kgl fl Kungliga flottan the Royal Fleet
The Navy used to be organized in four districts;
MDO Ostkustens Marindistrikt Naval Command East
MDS Sydkustens Marindistrikt Naval Command South
MDN Norrlandskustens Marindistrikt Naval Command North
MDV Västkustens Marindistrikt Naval Command West

The Coast Artillery (that belonged to the Navy) sometimes used;
SK Stockholms Kustartilleriförsvar the Coastal Artillery at Stockholm
(posted at KA1 in Vaxholm)
BK Blekinges Kustartilleriförsvar the Coastal Artillery in Blekinge
(posted at KA2 in Karlkrona)
GK Gotlands Kustartilleriförsvar the Coastal Artillery on Gotland
(posted at KA3 at Fårösund)
GbK Göteborgs Kustartilleriförsvar the Coastal Artillery at Göteborg
(posted at KA4 in Göteborg)
HK Hemsö Kustartilleriförsvar the Coastal Artillery at Hemsö
(posted at KA4H in Härnösand)
(HK was later changed to NK
and KA4H was changed to KA5)
It seems like the Coast Artillery also used the KA1 - KA5 denotations.

The Navy also used numerous other markings, like:
ÖVG Örlogsvarvet Göteborg the Navy dockyard in Göteborg

'Torped' is a boat-tailed, pointed bullet.

Joe

swheeler
01-03-2010, 02:15 PM
Good find Mike, enjoy. I still can't get used to prices though my mismatched 96 was 59.00, heck I remember selling 2 M38 to Glenn O in Kalispell in 89 for 140.00? for both, they were matching, OBERNDORFS if I remember correctly

StarMetal
01-03-2010, 02:59 PM
Good find Mike, enjoy. I still can't get used to prices though my mismatched 96 was 59.00, heck I remember selling 2 M38 to Glenn O in Kalispell in 89 for 140.00? for both, they were matching, OBERNDORFS if I remember correctly

Scot, Look at the Japs. Was a time you couldn't give them away. Now they are commanding prices as high as the Swedes.

The prices today reflect nothing about how good a rifle is, but rather greed.

Joe

mooman76
01-03-2010, 03:15 PM
I got a hankering for a Swed a few years ago after reading an articl on them in a gun rag. I saw one or a couple rather at a gun. The guy had a $195 on it. I couldn't see the bore so I tried to get the guy to lower his price. He wouldn't an said I was getting a deal to start with. I sort of agreed but still was a little leary of the barrel. I never have understood why someone selling a gun won't take the time to run a bore brush/patch down the barrel. It seems like it would improve the selling point allot. Anyway I took a chance and I'm not sorry I did. The bore cleaned out fine with no pitting at all. Like a mirror and it shoots good to. I probably would have went more on the price if I knew the bore looked that good.

scrapcan
01-03-2010, 04:12 PM
Mike,

You should go to Dutchman's site and have a look at the swede info he has for all of us. You also need to try out one of his scout mounts w. a nice pistol scope. I am sold on the one I bought from him and it takes about 10 minutes to return it to full collector value.

swheeler
01-03-2010, 05:09 PM
Scot, Look at the Japs. Was a time you couldn't give them away. Now they are commanding prices as high as the Swedes.

The prices today reflect nothing about how good a rifle is, but rather greed.

Joe

Agreed Joe. Look at the K31's mine was 89.00 and I tried to Jew him down too. The first 1909 Arg I bought for 85.00 all matching, even the cleaning rod, of course I threw everything away except the action. sheeeeeeeeez

mike in co
01-03-2010, 08:37 PM
Mike,

You should go to Dutchman's site and have a look at the swede info he has for all of us. You also need to try out one of his scout mounts w. a nice pistol scope. I am sold on the one I bought from him and it takes about 10 minutes to return it to full collector value.

i agree it might be an option. i have tried soem other mounts, and they seem to move( i KNOW i did not miss....well not by that much).i have seen some of dutchman's work and i am impressed.

you leave me in a quandry....

thanks
mike in co