PDA

View Full Version : A real hollow point

georgewxxx
01-02-2010, 07:31 PM
http://sodcity.dakotabranch.com/main.php?g2_itemId=12602

I've has this Hensley & Gibbs mould for several years now, but never did much more than poke holes in paper targets. It's been tried in most all my .30 cal guns with the exception of my 30 carbines. Shooting it at a slow velocity in my 308 Kimber at 100yds got 2" for 10 shots using 22gr 4198. I'm usually a 5 shot man and try for as high a velocity as I can and still get fair(3-4") groups using open sights.

There's got to be a few more of those moulds out there as H&G cataloged them for quite a few years. If you can read the old articles by Ness, other makers must have made them also. Saw one go on Ebay 2 years ago but I doubt very many people knew what the were looking at. ...Geo

stubshaft
01-02-2010, 08:14 PM
Good looking mould!

I have never come across one in over 40+ years of reloading. It would seem to get banged round in a Garand but the targets in the articles show other wise.

Thanks for sharing. It looks like a great boolit for a 300 Whisper or any 30 for that matter. I now have to keep an eye out for one.

beagle
01-02-2010, 10:05 PM
The darn thing shot well in my Number 1 Ruger .30/06. I was really surprised as I wasn't expecting accuracy from the ones that George sent me. They don't ricochet either./beagle

georgewxxx
01-03-2010, 10:00 AM
I'm going to fire several of them in differencing velocities into snowbanks to see if they indeed blow up. They're plenty soft when sizing and trying to close that gaping hole like Ness did to see if it changes it's aerodynamics enough to be worthwhile......Geo

zuke
01-03-2010, 01:51 PM
Would that cavity be big enough for a .22 blank....[smilie=1:

georgewxxx
01-03-2010, 03:49 PM
Would that cavity be big enough for a .22 blank....[smilie=1:

No! A large rifle primer won't go in either. Small rifle & pistol will, but I had my fun doing that with explosive .30 incendiary fmj bullets I bought years ago, blowing large holes in rail road ties we used for corner posts out in the pasture.

thehouseproduct
08-19-2011, 10:32 PM
Group buy discussion started.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?p=1370312

Rangefinder
08-20-2011, 01:33 AM
No! A large rifle primer won't go in either. Small rifle & pistol will, but I had my fun doing that with explosive .30 incendiary fmj bullets I bought years ago, blowing large holes in rail road ties we used for corner posts out in the pasture.

LOL Now you're reminding me of.... ME. It didn't take me long to figure out what a magnum primer in the front of a Hydro-Shok could do with a little magnesium in the cavity... ;) Oh, such fun those days were--to bad they can lock you up and throw away the key for it these days... :D