PDA

View Full Version : Winter project

Odinbreaker
01-02-2010, 06:58 PM
I am going to try buying a mule ear lock replacing my vent liner with a 1/4 buy 28 nipple on my TC Penn hunter and convert it to a percussion with out any change to the barrel. They make locks for TC or Lyman may try a Lyman to should be and interesting experiment.

mooman76
01-02-2010, 07:09 PM
I've converted a couple guns with no problems. If you can get a replacement lock of the same basic type(size) it should drop right in. Then it's just lining up the drum and nipple. If you trace the old lock and send that in with the basic information allot of the BP places will match it for you. I know Dixie gunworks will if they can that is. I converted a CVA from cap to flint. I had to make the touch hole liner because I couldn't find one in the right tread size. Just recently I converted a CVA flint to cap.
Sounds like a good project, good luck!

Odinbreaker
01-02-2010, 09:22 PM
The nice thing about the mule ear is it his from the side and you don't have to add a bolster. When you when to change back remove the nipple put in the vent liner and replace the lock. I have two barrels actually 3 that might work.

johnlaw484
01-02-2010, 09:28 PM
You'll love the mule for clearing out the brush in front of you. The darn things are always hanging up on twigs and branches.

Odinbreaker
01-03-2010, 12:04 AM
It will be for target only there is no have cock. I like my flinter for hunting. This is just and experiment.

northmn
01-03-2010, 08:48 AM
You may or may not get line up problems with the nipple. Also mule ears tend to require more wood removal than a traditional lock. A replacement lock may work. It is about as easy to redrill to 5/16X24 and put in a drum, and get a vent liner of that size. 1/4 X 28 drums have given drums a bad name. Experimenting is fun, good luck.

DP

buckweet
01-09-2010, 07:22 PM
You'll love the mule for clearing out the brush in front of you. The darn things are always hanging up on twigs and branches.

really ? how you figger that ?

couldn't be any worse than any thing else ?

just saying ?

357maximum
01-09-2010, 11:41 PM

Please feel free to send any and all unwanted mule ears to my house..thanks
Michael

buckweet
01-10-2010, 12:32 AM
Please feel free to send any and all unwanted mule ears to my house..thanks
Michael

oh no you don't , i gots 1st dibs..... ha.

i'ed just about kill fer a mule ear lock.

:holysheep

mooman76
01-10-2010, 01:33 AM
They are out of stock for now but it's a start.

http://pioneerarms.com/mule_ear_lock.html

buckweet
01-10-2010, 01:58 AM
They are out of stock for now but it's a start.

http://pioneerarms.com/mule_ear_lock.html

:cry: i know... i call them twice a week, they even answer the phone , saying..hello tim... no not yet.

at least ? im on 1st name basis.