PDA

View Full Version : Dura cote

Bullshop Junior
01-02-2010, 02:20 AM
For any one that is thinking about doing a Dura cote on a gun, Don't. I got a marlin 94 that had it on it, and it is coming off fast. Most of it is off of the receiver, and is coming off of the barrel in several places. Just about any where it gets touched a lot. I don;t like the stuff, and would consider it a waste of money.

HeavyMetal
01-02-2010, 03:22 AM
Any Idea how it was applied?

I did a ruger 22 auto a few years back and have had no issue with the finish but it don't take a rocket scientist to figure guns in Alaska might get handled a tad rougher than my safe Queens!

Lead Fred
01-02-2010, 03:25 AM
Ive Duracoated several rifles.

When you apply it correctly. Which starts by not reading the instructions, and talking to the experts.

All surfaces have to me sandblasted, then P111 cleaned.

Sprayed, baked, and set away for 30 days.

It becomes hard as nails, and will never come off, ever.

Even my semis show zero wear after two years.

largom
01-02-2010, 08:41 AM
Have two Mod. 98 Mausers that I duro Coated 2 yrs. ago. Still look great. I would suspect your gun had an application problem.

Larry

scb
01-02-2010, 04:31 PM
If it wasn't applied correctly it's not really the products fault. Kinda like repainting an engine without degreasing it first, then complaining when the paint falls off.

johnlaw484
01-03-2010, 10:48 AM
I have had no issues with Dura Cote or Gun Cote. Both seem to be a good product for their purpose.

Beekeeper
01-06-2010, 08:13 PM
Bullshop Jr,
Daniel,
I have been doing some experiments with duracoat since I had a screwup failure like you did.
After wasting about $40.00 worth of duracoat using the directions I found the problem I had was not getting everything clean.
The last time I made a test I did the following.
I scrubbed all metal parts with MEK and a scrubbing pad. Followed that with a wipe of acetone and a wipe of laquer thinner.
Finally I sprayed everything down with acetone using my air brush.
This time it took and very well.

The spray that dura cote tells you to use doesn't seem to do the job any time I tried it either by itsself or in conjunction with other cleaners.

Hope my tests and info are of some use to you.

Jim

PS the temps have a lot to do with it.
Minimum of 60 degrees to paint Temp of metal as well as temp of dura cote and temps of at least 60 during the curing process.

Jim