PDA

View Full Version : Stupid me....

dk17hmr
05-26-2006, 10:45 PM
I have some 200 grain SWC Speer cast bullets, I didnt cast these but I bought them at a gun show. I was having trouble with them feeding in my 1911 .45 ACP they are sized and everything at the factory. Well last night I was thinkin to myself "self you never crimped those bullets" so today I crimp 40 or so of them and walked out to my range (300 yards away from the house here) and fired every bullet I grab which was 3 full 8 round mags and about 5 extras, with out a failure.

Problem solved!

DK

Four Fingers of Death
05-27-2006, 02:14 AM
Dontya just hate that!

44man
05-27-2006, 08:22 AM
Much better then what my friend did! He overcrimped before going to a shoot and none would chamber.

Four Fingers of Death
05-27-2006, 08:38 AM
I fell for that one once. They chambered, but with difficulty. I now remove the chamber or Bbl and drop the first few rounds into the chamber to check they fit. Over the years I have acquired extra dies and leave the seating dies set up for a particular boolit.

Marshal Kane
05-31-2006, 10:23 PM
Well last night I was thinkin to myself "self you never crimped those bullets" DKGotta always remember to taper crimp the .45 ACP or the expanded casemouths will cause all kinds of chambering problems. Some revolver cartridges with very light target loads and wadcutter bullets shoot very well without a crimp however they still need to have the expanded casemouths straightened out. Glad you found your problem.

Baldy
06-06-2006, 09:26 PM
Hey dk17hmr you stole my thunder as I thought I was the only one to do things like that. Oh well. Dillion makes a guage for 45's. All you do is drop the bullet in it and if it falls in free and doesn't stick out the other end it's a shooter. They cost about $10.00. Just a thought from experience.:drinks:

Shoot fast make one Hole..:Fire:

44woody
06-19-2006, 12:00 PM
Guys they are called a case gauge not one bullet goes into my guns with out first going through one of those first they save you alot of trouble at the range it is a good habit to get into when reloading :castmine: 44Woody