PDA

View Full Version : H&A .45 caliber , headed my way.

buckweet
01-01-2010, 07:55 PM
well... looks like i won a hopkins and allen , .45 caliber underhammer off gunbroker.

it's a start, im looking forward to this.

weet [smilie=s:

buckweet
01-01-2010, 09:04 PM
what ? no atta boy ? no congrats ? lol !!

comments anyone ?

buckweet
01-01-2010, 09:07 PM
support group ?

hello ?

ha.

Potsy
01-01-2010, 10:00 PM
I saw a little H&A .50 at the last gun show I was at. As usual, the guy who was selling it at the table was nowhere around; I didn't really have the scratch anyway so I went on.
Neat little guns. Maybe I'll get around to building a little underhammer someday.

two dogs
01-01-2010, 10:21 PM
nice gun i was watching that gun,but being laid off for winter i didnt jump.love to know how it shoots for you. keep us posted.

Charlie Sometimes
01-01-2010, 10:35 PM
You had to mention that it was on GB.
Now I got to start watching that again! :groaner:

I've been watching at gun shows- got a nice T/C 45 Hawken cheap in November.
I never see underhammers, though.
I passed up a real nice Lyman Great Plains Rifle in 50 caliber, and a T/C 50 caliber Stainless Steel (not Cougar), too.

Enjoy that H&A, and let me know how it shoots!

357maximum
01-03-2010, 03:16 PM
Buckweet ...you do realize you are screwed right?

The H&A underhammer guns have a tendency to get in your blood and the only treatment for the ailment is to buy/make more of them.

I went from having ZERO of them sweet little gems to several of them in less than a years time......you are beyond hope....get your checkbook out.:wink:

I have a 50 roundballer rifle, and three other barrels to fit that reciever in various stages of completion. Killed a doe with the .50 Green Mountain RB barrel this fall in fact.

I have 1- 50 caliber pistol with a .32 barrel being completed for it shortly.

I have one original 45 H&A boot pistol on the way.

I have a brass rifle frame being made right now.

I had no underhammers a little over a year ago.

......YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED:Fire:

buckweet
01-03-2010, 03:56 PM
Buckweet ...you do realize you are screwed right?

The H&A underhammer guns have a tendency to get in your blood and the only treatment for the ailment is to buy/make more of them.

I went from having ZERO of them sweet little gems to several of them in less than a years time......you are beyond hope....get your checkbook out.:wink:

I have a 50 roundballer rifle, and three other barrels to fit that reciever in various stages of completion. Killed a doe with the .50 Green Mountain RB barrel this fall in fact.

I have 1- 50 caliber pistol with a .32 barrel being completed for it shortly.

I have one original 45 H&A boot pistol on the way.

I have a brass rifle frame being made right now.

I had no underhammers a little over a year ago.

......YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED:Fire:

too late, WAAAYYYY TOO LATE !!!

so far ?

1st off, i've read the book by james forsyth......[do NOT read that book.]

my interest level went off the scale. and it does not help hearing the storys from my dad, about his father back in ? around 1906, having a underhammer , that shot better the more powder you put in it.
makes me think ? it may ? have been something like the forsyth rifling.

sooo....

i ordered this H&A off gun broker, [my pop wants that one] see theres more to come ....

then i ordered a .50 caliber Ed Rayl barrl, 1:72 twist.

after all that. i order a brass frame. from john.

then !!! .... now im getting scared.

patti finds a .36 caliber buggy rifle.. also H&A.[she likes it] its in arkansaw, at our old preachers house. what makes me mad, is patti has seen a underhammer, in person, i have yet to hold one. all i've seen is a broken frame.
neighbor , gives me an old frame he found in the woods, years ago.

its also a H&A .. i thinks ? its really sad looking, been laying out there 40 years or more.

barrel blown off 4'' in front of the action, stock and trigger guard missing.

hammer gone.[what i wouldn't give to know the story on that one.]

and now, working on a trade deal for another .50 . H&A.

sooooooooo........ now what ?

ohhh.... i also ordered a lock stock kit from mark, at fire and iron. on backorder.

haven't even held one yet, and we'll have three.

my pop is very interested in hunting with the .45. he's shot his old lyman trade rifle for years, but always wanted a underhammer.
[hes 73] ... oh well... im glad i could help him. he's wanted one for 60 years.

thanks guys , thanks ALOT.

buckweet
01-03-2010, 04:03 PM
OH......one more thing........ im SUPER interested in a .62 caliber, 1:72 or 1:80

sooo.... i called scott... at colerainbarrels.......

SOMEBODY STOP ME !!! ....... ok, haven't ordered it yet....but, saving up as we speak.

this is far worse than BRD, [AR's]

buckweet
01-03-2010, 04:04 PM
ummmmmmm........... i also forgotten... trying for a smooth bore shotgun barrel too..................

mooman76
01-03-2010, 05:59 PM
Ataboy!

Charlie Sometimes
01-03-2010, 07:21 PM
The "fever" is catchy too- just talkin' about it will make you itch! :lol: :razz:

Where you located buckweet?
I gotta know where people have so many that they can afford to throw them away!

buckweet
01-04-2010, 01:10 AM
The "fever" is catchy too- just talkin' about it will make you itch! :lol: :razz:

Where you located buckweet?
I gotta know where people have so many that they can afford to throw them away!

im central missouri.

that frame was soo old and dirty ? dunno ? if it can be salvaged....?

that itch ? im putting gasoline on it ? not helping.

truthfully, my ''G-O-A-L'' ...[read dream rifle]... is for a .62caliber/ thirty4 inch barrel, and forsyth rifling. heck ? maybe even a 42'' barrel ?

no wood on forend, just a long ferrel ''brass'' and wrap that with thin deer/hide. for a hand grip. just lace the deerhide on.

plain jane stock, brass buttstock. may even make my own stock outta some white oak i have out here.

how's that sound ?

Willbird
01-04-2010, 11:34 AM
I have a 45 H&A that was my dads, they came unblued, so he painted it with gloss black spray paint. The barrel was very rough when he got it, requiring the use of .429 RB with a heavy patch to avoid the rifling cutting the patch. He lapped the barrel at some point but I still use .429 RB with a denim patch.

I'm not sure where H&A put the nipple on the gun your getting, on dads old gun the nipple vents right at the breech plug face, so you can use tiny powder charges of you want, I had a H&A boot pistol I bought in the 70's and they had decided to move the breech plug rearward so a 30 grain powder charge was about minimum, I elected to drill and tap deeper to set my boot pistol up like dads rifle.

My dad passed in 86 so the H&A is mine now, it has a 1903a3 rear sight on it, which is a nice addition.

Bill

Charlie Sometimes
01-04-2010, 03:16 PM
Don't get one too long, you'll need to carry a ladder to load it!

I used to shoot with a fella that was right under 5 foot tall, and his rifle was a long barreled Tennessee type in 40 caliber.
He had to lay the butt out about 4 or more feet from him just to get at the muzzle!
We always teased him about his ramrod being taller than he was, or asked him if he needed a step stool to load it.
He was a real good shot, too- but, if you got him tore up he couldn't hit anything!
It was real work for him to hold up the rifle, too- it looked like you could pull the trigger on Monday and wait until Sunday before the ball would come out, from a comparitive size of the rifle to the shooter.

buckweet
01-04-2010, 05:47 PM
I have a 45 H&A that was my dads, they came unblued, so he painted it with gloss black spray paint. The barrel was very rough when he got it, requiring the use of .429 RB with a heavy patch to avoid the rifling cutting the patch. He lapped the barrel at some point but I still use .429 RB with a denim patch.

I'm not sure where H&A put the nipple on the gun your getting, on dads old gun the nipple vents right at the breech plug face, so you can use tiny powder charges of you want, I had a H&A boot pistol I bought in the 70's and they had decided to move the breech plug rearward so a 30 grain powder charge was about minimum, I elected to drill and tap deeper to set my boot pistol up like dads rifle.

My dad passed in 86 so the H&A is mine now, it has a 1903a3 rear sight on it, which is a nice addition.

Bill

hi bill... sorry about your dad,

i not sure where the nipple will be, haven't gotten it yet.
but really looking forward to it.

i also wouldn't mind having a boot pistol in .62

tim

bob208
01-04-2010, 07:27 PM
i have had one for 20 years been shooting it in off hand matchs. it has a 32"x 1 1/16" barrel in .45.

Willbird
01-05-2010, 12:20 AM
The breech plug in the boot pistol I had used a tapered pipe thread, the breech plug itself had a square recess that fit a socket extension, I would expect the rifles to be done the same way. I'm pretty sure my underhammer is stamped "offhand". I do not have and never had a forend for it.

Bill

buckweet
01-05-2010, 01:33 AM
The breech plug in the boot pistol I had used a tapered pipe thread, the breech plug itself had a square recess that fit a socket extension, I would expect the rifles to be done the same way. I'm pretty sure my underhammer is stamped "offhand". I do not have and never had a forend for it.

Bill

ya ? know ?

looking at pictures, im starting to really like the ''no forend'' look.

just looks. classy.

simple/pure/art unto itself,

hey !! im a poet !!

buckweet
01-05-2010, 01:37 AM
[QUOTE=bob208;767643]i have had one for 20 years been shooting it in off hand matchs. it has a 32"x 1 1/16" barrel in .45.[/QUOTE

hummm ? untill mine gets here, i thinks it's exactly like yours.

John Taylor
01-05-2010, 11:24 AM
I have a Whitworth bore barrel in the shop that is 4' long, wounder how that would look on an under hammer? It is a hex bore with 1 in 22" twist. It could use some lapping, I was thinking fire lapping would do.
Also have a short piece for a pistol, about 1'.

Boz330
01-05-2010, 11:38 AM
John, that sounds like the cats meow for the LR project I had in mind. How do you cast boolits for the Whitworth? Is there a mould that comes with the barrel or do you have to swage them?

Bob

John Taylor
01-05-2010, 11:55 AM
John, that sounds like the cats meow for the LR project I had in mind. How do you cast boolits for the Whitworth? Is there a mould that comes with the barrel or do you have to swage them?

Bob

I haven't gotten around to figuring up a mold yet, was thinking of using a piece of the barrel to make a swage. I have had the barrel for about 10 years just collecting dust. Its a fairly light barrel and the bore is about 45 cal. It was made from a 43 cal smooth bore that dixie had on sale about 20 years back. I bought four of them and this is the last one. One of the first barrels I rifled when I made my machine, just to see if I could do it.