PDA

View Full Version : Sights on the Ruger's.

Changeling
01-01-2010, 03:55 PM
I'm not saying this to complain but I was just wondering if the open sights on the BH/SBH/whatever are the best or is there something a lot better, just wondering.

jhrosier
01-01-2010, 04:45 PM
I put a Millet target rear sight on one of mine and the sight picture is much better.

Jack

outdoorfan
01-01-2010, 04:55 PM
I can't stand the front sight (red ramp) on those guns. I like the Hy-Viz ones much better. But I like this brass one the best: http://www.beartoothbullets.com/tech_notes/archive_tech_notes.htm/59

Takes some time to make it, but I now have that sight on three hand guns. Shows up fantastically in all lighting conditions.

For a rear sight, I like the Bowen Rough Country.

dubber123
01-01-2010, 06:33 PM
The Bowen rear mentioned is a very nice, well machined sight. It's kinda pricey, but ya get what you pay for... The Millets are a vast upgrade to Rugers interpretation of a rear sight, and easier on the wallet. Changing the front can be more problematic.

Bucks Owin
01-01-2010, 07:32 PM
I've pondered putting a "One Ragged Hole" aperture rear sight on a Blackhawk just to see if it helps group size with my fading eyes. That said, I've fired many a great group with the stock Ruger sights when light conditions are right...FWIW, Dennis (I also powder the front sight with lampblack or smoke it with a bic lighter. Helps sharpen up the sight picture quite a bit..:wink: )

RFP
01-01-2010, 08:31 PM
I put a"One Ragged Hole" on my SRH but groups were no better than with factory sights.

ole 5 hole group
01-01-2010, 08:36 PM
I've pondered putting a "One Ragged Hole" aperture rear sight on a Blackhawk just to see if it helps group size with my fading eyes. That said, I've fired many a great group with the stock Ruger sights when light conditions are right...FWIW, Dennis (I also powder the front sight with lampblack or smoke it with a bic lighter. Helps sharpen up the sight picture quite a bit..:wink: )

I don't know about the ragged hole sight improving your groups but they won't hurt them - you will get on target faster. I like them on my BFR's. They look pretty skimpy and stick up there a ways but so far I haven't dropped my revolver to find out how durable they are.

outdoorfan
01-01-2010, 09:36 PM
I tried the One-Ragged-Hole a few years back on my .480, and it came right back off. I couldn't get the elevation right. I kept hitting "high" if I recall.

Edit: I was hitting high from the way I looked through the sight, not from the elevation adjustment. Bottom line was it didn't work for me.

yondering
01-01-2010, 10:06 PM
Just don't order them straight from "One Ragged Hole". I'm in the process of having Paypal refund my money, after placing an order in November, and getting no response to emails or phone calls.

kingstrider
01-01-2010, 10:43 PM
Does anybody have a link or part number for the Millet sight?

ole 5 hole group
01-01-2010, 10:52 PM
Just don't order them straight from "One Ragged Hole". I'm in the process of having Paypal refund my money, after placing an order in November, and getting no response to emails or phone calls.

That has been a problem - on some sites they reported the owner to be either ill or injured - he hasn't cashed anyone's checks or charged credit cards, so he's well above board financially. You might still be able to get the sights from Warren Custom Outdoor - if you call and he doesn't answer, leave a message and he'll get back to you normally the same day. I've had no shooting problems with mine - I use a Hi-Viz front sight and that combo is fast on a moving target. I can still miss as good as I ever could - but with the ragged hole I can see the target real well with very ole eyes. A red dot would be a lot better but these weigh a lot less and don't bother the holsters either and I like 'em.

Check with Brownell's for the Millett rear sight or Millett http://www.millettsights.com/controller.php/cat09/revolver

44man
01-02-2010, 11:09 AM
Ruger sights were not the best since they started to make their own. I had to use them for production IHMSA and made them work just fine but had to keep a bunch of elevation screws on hand.
Buy a better gun with a millet sight and it was production but Ruger would not offer it from the factory. Many arguments with IHMSA were to no avail. Here comes a guy with money shooting a Freedom or other high class revolver with wonderful sights and a lowly Ruger shooter had to compete with them. Well, I did and I beat them all because I had good vision.
What made it easy for me was the undercut front sight on the silhouette Ruger. Put a ramp on any revolver and it doesn't work for me. I hate the S&W or any front sight with a silly plastic insert.
The Ruger rear sight works if the front sight is sharp, no shine or glare and you can see the top and light gap at the sides.
If you have trouble with sights, look at the front sight first.
Then smoke the sights so there is no glare. But don't smoke a plastic insert----IT MELTS! :bigsmyl2:

kingstrider
01-02-2010, 11:25 AM
Check with Brownell's for the Millett rear sight or Millett http://www.millettsights.com/controller.php/cat09/revolver

Already found this but there are three shown including white outline, silhouette and target. Is there a recommendation for one over the other?

jhrosier
01-02-2010, 01:14 PM
...... But don't smoke a plastic insert----IT MELTS! :bigsmyl2:

That might not be a bad thing.
I was thinking of melting out the insert and replacing it with a mix of JB weld and lampblack or something that would give a non reflective surface.
I don't understand why the gun makers insist on putting that chunk of reflective plastic on the front sight anyhow. It doen't work and never has.

Jack

44man
01-02-2010, 03:27 PM
That might not be a bad thing.
I was thinking of melting out the insert and replacing it with a mix of JB weld and lampblack or something that would give a non reflective surface.
I don't understand why the gun makers insist on putting that chunk of reflective plastic on the front sight anyhow. It doen't work and never has.

Jack
It worked pretty good without that plastic but I had to sell the gun so I bought a new sight.

Changeling
01-02-2010, 03:32 PM
Ruger sights were not the best since they started to make their own. I had to use them for production IHMSA and made them work just fine but had to keep a bunch of elevation screws on hand.
Buy a better gun with a millet sight and it was production but Ruger would not offer it from the factory. Many arguments with IHMSA were to no avail. Here comes a guy with money shooting a Freedom or other high class revolver with wonderful sights and a lowly Ruger shooter had to compete with them. Well, I did and I beat them all because I had good vision.
What made it easy for me was the undercut front sight on the silhouette Ruger. Put a ramp on any revolver and it doesn't work for me. I hate the S&W or any front sight with a silly plastic insert.
The Ruger rear sight works if the front sight is sharp, no shine or glare and you can see the top and light gap at the sides.
If you have trouble with sights, look at the front sight first.
Then smoke the sights so there is no glare. But don't smoke a plastic insert----IT MELTS! :bigsmyl2:

I got talked into a red plastic insert in my 44 Mag. It was definitely a mistake, light hitting it wrong will cause blur. You live and learn, sometimes the hard way. That is one of the reason I asked the question.

So are the Millet sights really worth the coin, or should I look elsewhere? I don't intend to keep a supply of screws handy. One screw behind the gun is enough, LOL.

44man
01-02-2010, 04:49 PM
I got talked into a red plastic insert in my 44 Mag. It was definitely a mistake, light hitting it wrong will cause blur. You live and learn, sometimes the hard way. That is one of the reason I asked the question.

So are the Millet sights really worth the coin, or should I look elsewhere? I don't intend to keep a supply of screws handy. One screw behind the gun is enough, LOL.
Yes they are but make sure you get the right front sight. Undercut is the best for target or hunting. The others were made to go into and out of holsters.
A good rear sight is best if you constantly adjust elevation for all ranges like an IHMSA shoot but if you sight at one range and never have to adjust much except for a load change, the Ruger rear sight is OK.

targetshootr
01-02-2010, 05:04 PM
You could also get a steel Micro sight like on the new flat tops. They're much better, imo, even though the tang is rounded.

winelover
01-02-2010, 05:21 PM
My Redhawk sports the express type optional sights---gold bead front, Vee notch rear. Faster sight acquisition IMO.

Winelover :Fire:

Muskwa
01-02-2010, 05:36 PM
I read somewhere that the "One Ragged Hole" company had gone out of business.
Hopefully some other outfit will fill the void, they are supposed to work well, but I've never tried one. Peep sight work were well on rifles once you get used to them, I rather use them any day than regular open sights.

Muskwa

Changeling
01-02-2010, 05:49 PM
Yes they are but make sure you get the right front sight. Undercut is the best for target or hunting. The others were made to go into and out of holsters.
A good rear sight is best if you constantly adjust elevation for all ranges like an IHMSA shoot but if you sight at one range and never have to adjust much except for a load change, the Ruger rear sight is OK.

Jim I went to there website but I didn't see undercut front sights, seems everything was ramp type. I'll go back and look again.

Went back, but they just seem to have ramp front sights. I think I will stick with the Ruger sights for awhil to see how things go.
I looked up the "Bowen Rough Country" but it was about $90.00 for the rear only. I'm sure it is a nice sight, but $90.00 plus shipping is nice also.

44man
01-02-2010, 09:32 PM
Jim I went to there website but I didn't see undercut front sights, seems everything was ramp type. I'll go back and look again.

Went back, but they just seem to have ramp front sights. I think I will stick with the Ruger sights for awhil to see how things go.
I looked up the "Bowen Rough Country" but it was about $90.00 for the rear only. I'm sure it is a nice sight, but $90.00 plus shipping is nice also.
Go to Ruger for the front, they are cheap. You need to get the right height for your gun.
If your front sight is screwed on that is, most are so just get the same height as the one you have.