PDA

View Full Version : 460V followed me home

HCL
01-01-2010, 01:36 PM
I really dont know what happened, must have been some type of majic potion used on me? I was just browsing and enjoying the sights of all the shinny pistols next thing I knew I was the owner of a S&W 460V. :bigsmyl2:
I have been wanting one for a while so finaly made the jump. I scoured the area for boolit moulds but only one I could find to my satisfaction was the Lyman 452651, I am looking for a mould that drops around 380-400grs but no luck, anyone got any ideas?
Headed to the woods this weekend so will put this thing through its paces, I figured with a 5" barrel I can still perform the following with the muzzle flash:
start campfire
signal aircraft
signal space shuttle
blind any attacking critters
See very multi purpose, practical pistol..
Mike

dk17hmr
01-01-2010, 02:43 PM
Size down some 458's. I do it quite a bit in my 454. I ussally run them in the lube-sizer at .459 than either a .454 lyman die or a lee .453 push through.

HCL
01-01-2010, 04:29 PM
Thanks never thought of that, doesnt smear lead into the lube groves sizing down .004??

Bucks Owin
01-01-2010, 07:56 PM
Congratulations! I'd be interested in some actual velocity figures in that 5" barrel.....Dennis

Whitworth
01-01-2010, 08:40 PM
But there are plenty of moulds for lighter bullets -- say in the 350 and 360 grain range. That is the route I would go with a .45 caliber handgun no matter how long the case. I did some field testing with a .460 XVR a while back and I shot a couple hogs with CorBon's 395 grain WFN. Recoil was stiff at 1,525 fps, but I think you reach a point of diminishing returns when you go over 360 grains in a .45. But, that's just me........

exile
01-01-2010, 08:55 PM
Congratulations, a friend of mine has the 5" model and it has the best balance I have ever seen in a handgun. I was going to buy one, but I did not have a .357, and ended up with a five-inch 686 with a non-fluted cylinder instead.

He has shot his so much he had to send it back to S & W for a new frame. I think you will like the gun. I wish tthey would come out with an identical model in .500 S & W. Don't know why they don't. Have fun.

exile

Whitworth
01-01-2010, 09:59 PM
Why did it need a new frame? That's not good testimony to its strength......:shock:

Heavy lead
01-01-2010, 10:04 PM
?Gas cutting?!

HCL
01-01-2010, 11:16 PM
Thanks ,really looking forward to shooting this thing. Could not stand having a new mould and pistola so cooked up a handfull tonight to try out this weekend. The mould lists as 325gr but naked WW I got a real consistant 330 (after the culls) with lube and GC 338grs so i may not look for a heavier mould.
I did run a 45-405(458) through the sizer for kicks and the lube grooves disapeared, I may play with that later, right now got to play with this mould. Besides the balistics for a 330gr boolit on paper are pretty impressive, will drag the crono with me tomorrow but will probally be too cold, susposta be around zero and warm up to the teens during the day, sometimes this crono wont read when really cold.
I was surprised at the balance of the pistol for the size, very natural.
Will let yall know Sunday night when I return...
Mike

HCL
01-04-2010, 02:08 AM
Well as I suspected the crono did not want to play in the cold, but still had a really good time. I neglected to take any paper targets as space on my sled was limited (ok, I forgot) anyhow ended up shooting sticks and cut firewood. Spent several hours tumbling fire wood down the river. (yes the river is froze).
This thing is great, and incredibly accurate. I can see that my 629 wont get used near as much now. To me felt recoil was less/differant than my 629, much less snap and more of a hard push, very comfortable to shoot. Way nicer to shoot than my 329pd. I had it in a shoulder hoslter, probally good thing as if it was in a hip holster, with the weight of this thing I would have had to stop my snowmachine every couple miles and pull my pants back up.
Overall I am very happy and wish I would have gotten one much earlier.
That 452651 performed really well, I still think a 400gr mould is in the cards, down the road.. The 395gr Corbon (store bought)(sorry needed the brass) were my favorite out of the 330gr and the 200gr Hornady flex tip thingies. The 395gr boolits would roll the wood (appox 24"L x 14"dia) down the river with authority...
Too much fun...
Now time to make boolits and work on loads....[smilie=w:
Mike

azrednek
01-04-2010, 03:04 AM
HCL when do we get some pictures??

I have a 460 on my short list after I hit the lottery. I've never shot the 460. I did get to shoot a 500 at a recent Sportsman's Expo at a shooting range north of Phoenix. After I shot the long barreled 50 cal I went to the Ruger booth and shot a 4 and 5/8's inch barreled 454. I learned to really appreciate S&W's muzzle break and design. The short barreled Ruger had considerably more muzzle flip and the over all recoil felt just as violent. Unfortunately before I could get in line to shoot S&W's 460 they ran out of ammo.

After 5 rds of 50 and 6 rds of 454. If I had got to shoot the 460 I was flinching so badly I couldn't have have hit jack diddly shoot. I did shoot Ruger's new LCP and their DAO plastic revolver afterward. Even with the pip squeak 380 I was still flinching from launching the cannons.

exile
01-04-2010, 04:42 AM
If I remember correctly, it was due to the design of the firing pin and the area around it. Someone who knows more than I will have to chime in. The new frame had a different design and he states he has not had any more problems. He shoots the snot out of it with full power loads every weekend so his results may not be typical. That is my recollection at least. His experience would not stop me from buying a .460 at all. I would love to have one. :coffeecom

exile

9.3X62AL
01-04-2010, 09:25 AM
I've run some of the RCBS 300 grain boolits meant for the 45-70 in my 45 Colt, sized as follows--I attach gas check and size/lube in .459" die first. I re-run the boolits through a .454" die. The lube grooves filled in the .459" die don't collapse in the .454" die noticeably. These boolits shot pretty well, although a little high when run at 1000-1100 FPS. A taller front sight would be in order.

HCL
01-10-2010, 10:45 PM
Well after reading all the posts about WFN/WLN and such, and the performance of the Corbon (store bought), once again this place has caused me to buy something. :mrgreen:
Ordered a LBT mold today for a 395gr boolit. I am really excited and cant wait to cook some up when it gets here....
I have played with the 452651 some more and it is very accurate, but want a little more weight for the scary critters.
Have the camera charging, hopefully get some pictures on tonight...
Mike

c.r.
01-11-2010, 12:17 AM
I went to the Ruger booth and shot a 4 and 5/8's inch barreled 454. .

azrednek..........what model was the Ruger 4-5/8" built on? the barrel length makes me think a single action. and you mentioned six shots.......maybe a 6 shot SBH in .454? or a Bisley?

With Ruger having one available, does this suggest they will possibly be offering the 454 on a SA platform?

~c.r.

Whitworth
01-11-2010, 07:58 AM
azrednek..........what model was the Ruger 4-5/8" built on? the barrel length makes me think a single action. and you mentioned six shots.......maybe a 5 shot SBH in .454? or a Bisley?

With Ruger having one available, does this suggest they will possibly be offering the 454 on a SA platform?

~c.r.

You beat me to it! I was going to ask the same question. The only .454 that Ruger has brought into production is the Super Redhawk and aside from the 2.5-inch barreled Alaskan, the remainder come with a 7.5 or a 9.5-inch barrel.......

Bucks Owin
01-11-2010, 04:42 PM
You beat me to it! I was going to ask the same question. The only .454 that Ruger has brought into production is the Super Redhawk and aside from the 2.5-inch barreled Alaskan, the remainder come with a 7.5 or a 9.5-inch barrel....... I think if Ruger was going to chamber the Casull in a 6 shot SBH, they would have already done it long ago. What I'd like to see is a FIVE shot SBH. THEN all us sixg...oops, FIVEgun fans could go to work with some serious horsepower! The world NEEDS a SBH .45 cal and BIGGER!!! JMO, Dennis (I bet the .480 ammo sales would triple too...[smilie=1:)

azrednek
01-18-2010, 10:29 AM
azrednek..........what model was the Ruger 4-5/8" built on? the barrel length makes me think a single action. and you mentioned six shots.......maybe a 6 shot SBH in .454? or a Bisley?

~c.r.

Sorry I'm late responding. The Ruger I shot was a blued, heavy framed double action revolver. Sorry I don't know the model number. I didn't ask to shoot a specific model. I just asked if they had 454 or 460.

HCL
02-07-2010, 04:50 AM
LBT mold came in and I am quite pleased. With GC and lube it is 416grs. Looking for around 1600fps which should be plenty under max, but plenty for anything I would want it for. The 395grs boolits at 1600fps were not bad at all, actually more pleasant than the 200gr zingers!
Will head to the range next weekend to give it a try.
Mike