PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on a die

waynzwld
01-01-2010, 01:17 PM
This has to do with a jacketed bullet round, but I would like to hear what others think.
I called Lee Precision to ask why they did not offer a Collet die or Factory crimp
die for the 221 Fireball and got into a little disagreement with their engineer.
He said that they do not offer these because of cartridge case length is too short and that the collet die would "lock up" and not release. He continued, that they would make me one, but they would not guarantee it would work and there would be no warranty.
I countered with "a 221 FB max length is 1.400" and a 22 Hornet is 1.403" and you make 4 die Deluxe set with the collet die for the 22 Hornet and it works, but you tell me that 0.003" makes a difference on the collet die not working? He said yes, it will not work.
I was willing to pay to have the collet die made, but he sure made it clear they didn't really want to make it.
What do you think? Can 0.003" make that much difference? Heck, variations in brass stretching are that much on the hornet and I have seen some long and short Hornet cases neck sized with a collet die and there was no problem.

Firebricker
01-01-2010, 02:50 PM
I don't reload either cartridge but it looks like the angle of the shoulder may be the differance between a collet die working on one and not the other. That's just a guess. I would take Lee's word for it though I'm sure they tried it somewhere along the way. FB

waynzwld
01-01-2010, 05:30 PM
221 Fireball pretty much same shoulder as 222 & 223 as 221 FB can be made from either.

1hole
01-01-2010, 07:37 PM
Not all 'engineers" are created the same.

Some of them have no idea how to drive a train!