PDA

View Full Version : Tag Soup

Blammer
01-01-2010, 12:45 PM
Well another year has come and gone for deer hunting for me.

Dispite my best efforts, I'll be eating tag soup this year.

Fortunately a friend I went hunting with gave me some of his venison he got while we were out hunting. (He got two in that morning and I got zero.) Thanks for the venison Geezer56, it will be savoured!

On the bright side, I took both kids out 'hiking/squirrel hunting' and we were fortunate enough to get one. Great thing about squirrels, some are really dumb or curious or both. Now my kids (6 and 8yrs old) want to go 'hiking/hunting' more! :)

How did you fair?

fishhawk
01-01-2010, 01:17 PM
first time in probley 20 years the wife or i didn't get a deer. where we hunted was a buck only area of wis. this year didn't have any show up in the food plot archery season when i was there, and gun season the same doe and 2 fawns would show up about the same time every day. so guess it was a good thing i got moose in oct. steve k

Gee_Wizz01
01-01-2010, 01:17 PM
I struck out deer hunting because I got too picky! I saw more bucks this year than I have ever seen before, but I was looking for a trophy. I let several real nice eight pointers walk by, earlier in the season, but later in the season I saw nothing. I did get a nice 150lb hog and a coyote. I still consider this a good year, anytime you can sit out in the woods is a good time.

G

adkpete
01-01-2010, 01:54 PM
We call it "track soup" up here. and that's all I got

Bullshop
01-01-2010, 02:06 PM
Two moose this, HUH, last year (09).
Still have 6 caribou tags. P U is still in the shop getting transfer case fixed but when its out we hope to, God willing, fill a couple of them.
We have a newly designed 375 cal 375 gn boolit to test.
Happy new year!!!
May this one bring the signs from heaven!!! KEEP WATCHIN!!!

geezer56
01-01-2010, 09:35 PM
Hi blammer, it just gets worse. I killed the big 8 pt I called you about, down in Alabama. Then I was going to pick my son up from his stand, ran over one. Severely messed up the front of my Jeep, killed the doe. Got seven this year, all told. But the last one was the most expensive.

Blammer
01-01-2010, 10:05 PM
geezer56, OUCH! sorry to hear that.

Well it weren't for a lack of being picky I didn't get one. I mostly hunt for the meat, unfortunately when does were not in season is when I saw them.

runfiverun
01-01-2010, 10:53 PM
dawn got herself one this year.
first deer hunt, first deer,with cast in her argie too.
i didn't even bother to buy a tag.
she got in on another on a landowners tag down on the utah/idaho border with my brother.
i give up.....

dale2242
01-02-2010, 09:31 AM
Sorry to hear about your failure to connect with the deer last season, DJ. I hear the tag soup is not so bad if you add enough seasoning. Use the same recipe you would use for antler soup....dale

Leadforbrains
01-02-2010, 11:51 AM
Me and my son got only one doe a piece this past year. We did much better the year before with five deer and 3 hogs.

swheeler
01-02-2010, 04:55 PM
I filled 3 tags, 2 head shots one heart shot, but have two tags left over for soup! yum-yum. Terrible year for hunting here, but good for sun tanning! Al Gore must be right.

MT Gianni
01-02-2010, 04:57 PM
I filled an antelope tag and a b tag anterless wt. My buck tag went in the soup pot.

gon2shoot
01-02-2010, 07:28 PM
Saute in butter, then transfer to a white wine sauce. Also works well with crow (dont ask how I know).

hoosierlogger
01-02-2010, 07:36 PM
I got a button buck during archery (I thought it was a doe, or otherwise I wouldnt have stuck it). I got a nice 5X5 on opening day of Firearms season. Probably about 15 squirrels, and 5 or 6 dozen frog legs. Gonna head out tomorrow morning and try for some bunnies.

HollowPoint
01-02-2010, 08:33 PM
I've found that liberal amounts of tobasco sauce will render even "Tag Soup" a delicacy.:coffee:

I know because it's been more than four years since I filled a tag. Of course it would have been helpful
to have gotten drawn for these hunts.

Here in Arizona, it seems like a guy would have better luck winning the Big-Money Lottery than being draw for the hunt we put in for. At least in my case anyway.

I have some buddies from work that seem to get draw nearly every time they put in for a hunt.
Go figure.

HollowPoint.

OBXPilgrim
01-02-2010, 11:29 PM
I ended up with 4 - 3 does & a buck...during bow season. I wouldn't have taken that many, but 2 were for my brother - he's not been having a good year, & he's down with knee replacement surgery right now. He's got plenty of venison in the freezer though.

Gun season, I was ready to go. New cast loads for 44 mag & 444, but I didn't see a thing; not even the bears that pestered us during bow season.

mroliver77
01-03-2010, 01:41 PM
I havent been well for 6-8 weeks and only got out for dear a couple times. Ravine out behind is usually a haven from all the push type hunters and we nab one or two out of there usually. Dang nephew and his buddy decided to push it every day and the deer stayed clear after that for a while. Mebbe take one with nuisance permit.
Jay

gray wolf
01-03-2010, 03:32 PM
Well alls well that ends well I guess. Hoof chowder here for the wife and I.
Then day after the season ended We got a 140 pound Doe from the town cop Broken neck.
X-mas eve got called out for a Young bull Moose ==broken front legs. Got half of that one.
So yes the Lord is good and we thanked him for the meet.

GW.

RugerFan
01-03-2010, 03:34 PM
My boy & I took 6 hogs and 3 deer (2 bucks, one doe). Still one weekend of deer season, so maybe more will find it's way into my freezer.

trickyasafox
01-03-2010, 03:46 PM
I got 2 (buck and a doe) and my dad got 4 (3 does 1 buck- I signed over my extra doe tag to him)

Thumbcocker
01-03-2010, 05:30 PM
I got two small bucks. One archery and one with the "utility" SBH. I hunted my butt off and was darned glad to get what I got. Lota of folks didn't get anything. Weather sucked a lot of the time and lots of standing corn. Then there was the trespasser from up north who I caught squirrel hunting while I was bow hunting. TWICE!

Adk Mike
01-03-2010, 05:32 PM
I also got two a Spike buck and a doe. Tough year here I was lucky. Many people got none. people that usaully get at least one. Looks like it was a huge winter kill from 08/09

sundog
01-03-2010, 05:36 PM
well, in my best tin foil hat response to low deer harvests, maybe it's the protection and reintroduction of predator species that is having an affect. And who do you suppose is in strong favor of those programs? Back door attempt to stop/curb hunting? Ah, the conspiracy theories abound, eh?

10 ga
01-21-2010, 01:51 AM
Got a limit of deer, that is a "Tangier Limit"! That is when you either run out of ammo or whaterer youre huntin is all dead. Bein as I used my ML all season it was easy to not have ammo loaded fast enough. SOOoooo I don't have to eat "tag soup". Is that tastier than minner soup, or blood worm soup, or squid soup, or night crawler soup, or for the guys ice fishing maggot or meal worm soup? Now I've made myself hungry. Best to all, 10 ga