PDA

View Full Version : Gun Safes

Beekeeper
01-01-2010, 12:01 PM
I have a neighbor down the road who asked me this question and I thought I would pass it on and maybe get some ideas.

He has a gun safe that is so crowded that he sometimes cannot get the door closed.
At age 81 doesn't want to buy a bigger one but wants to maintain the security of his guns.

Some one told him about a lazy susan type affair that will allow for more rifles to be stored in the same amount of space.
I have looked everywhere I could think of and thought I might tap the brain trust here.

Has anyone ever heard of such an item?
Know of any plans for building such an animal?
He doesn't have a lot of disposible cash so I thought if I could find plans I would build one for him and maybe one for myself as my safe is filling up fast.

Thanks for any help.

Jim

imashooter2
01-01-2010, 12:13 PM
http://www.gun-racks.com/all_rotary_gun_racks

Beekeeper
01-01-2010, 12:48 PM
Thanks imashooter2,
Seems to be a straight forward kind of project.
Will check the local woodworking store for the lazy susan base tomorrow.

Will be kind of cool to be able to make something for him.
Has been a great friend since the wife and I moved here.
Only one really!!

Thanks again
Jim

Doc Highwall
01-01-2010, 01:09 PM
I was at the Kittery Trading Post in Maine a while back and they had a safe that was round with the lazy susan built in and a small door, I thought it was a great idea.

BruceB
01-02-2010, 09:53 AM
My wife gave me one of the 22-gun rotary models for Christmas. They're pricey, but worth every nickel due to the quality of the construction and finish.

Now, I want another one for the rest of the stuff around the place. My friendly local steel fabricator is building a steel box to hold TWO of these 30" rotary racks....I've never found a "real" gunsafe large enough for my tastes (or needs). It'll suffice for the sort of problems encountered in these parts.

Cactus Farmer
01-02-2010, 10:35 AM
Let's see,22 guns per rack,125+ guns,although some are pistols, I'd need 4-5 of these 22 gun racks and a LARGE steel box to house the team. Anyone got a used bank vault that's movable and inexpencive as I spent my $$$ on the rotary racks......

andremajic
01-02-2010, 02:23 PM
Ooh, I like the idea of epoxying rare earth magnets underneath the felt to hold the handguns in place.

I can hear it now... "For some reason, my gun always wants to point north!"

:D

Storydude
01-02-2010, 06:13 PM
Let's see,22 guns per rack,125+ guns,although some are pistols, I'd need 4-5 of these 22 gun racks and a LARGE steel box to house the team. Anyone got a used bank vault that's movable and inexpencive as I spent my $$$ on the rotary racks......

You need to look Vault doors and reinforced room. I know Midway sells a Vault door for ~3K or look Craigslist locally and ry and find an old business safe or vault doors.

JudgeBAC
01-02-2010, 07:00 PM
Check this out:

http://www.rhinovault.com/

legend
01-02-2010, 08:45 PM
I had the same problem;as i stood looking at it i saw all the longuns were pointing up....

I removed all guns and stacked them one up--one down--one up etc

Now they all fit..AND i have room for more!!! YIPPIE

I hope this helps someone.

imashooter2
01-03-2010, 01:53 AM
The best feature of the lazy Susan is being able to get whatever rifle you want out without emptying the safe or bouncing it off the firearms in front of it.