PDA

View Full Version : Can I use this wax for lube ?

gray wolf
01-01-2010, 10:24 AM
I have been using Microcrystaline wax for my pistol bullets with a little Jojoba oil and it works great. The wax is pure white and not as hard as Bees wax. I still need a little heat for the sizer.
I would like to know-- if I softened this up with a little more Jojoba oil would it work in my white Muzzy loader with the 470 grain trash cans?
I can't seem to find an answer to this. Most times people say that because it is a petro based wax that it would turn to tar like crusty hard fowling.
I put some in a metal jar lid and burned it off with a propane torch-- I did not get any residue. The metal lid just turned dark gray, but there was no ash or black crud on the lid.
What say you folks on the microcrystaline wax for a front stuffer bullet lube??

Thank you

GW.

wiljen
01-01-2010, 10:55 AM
Send me some and I'll send you an equal weight in beeswax and solve your dilemma. That work? (up to maybe 3 or 4 lbs).

gray wolf
01-01-2010, 11:01 AM
Not sure if that is a yes it's ok-- or you just need wax--or your still celebrating LOL.
Is there a definetive answer out there.
GW.

Charlie Sometimes
01-01-2010, 11:10 AM
I think it is a petroleum based wax- like paraffin.
I would stick with softer, all natural ingredients for the BP lubes.
There are some here that experiment a lot on BP lube ingredients.
Search for previous links on BP lubes and see what pops.
Be patient, more helpful suggestions are to follow from those, once they get around to it.
Holidays, and all, you know!

mooman76
01-01-2010, 11:19 AM
I think it's the mixture of the lube with the powder residue that causes the tar like substance. You could try it and see or just use a bees wax mix instead. A lot of people use bees wax mixed with something.

gray wolf
01-01-2010, 01:33 PM
Thanks men --
I will hold off for more answers.

GW.

felix
01-01-2010, 01:43 PM
That's why folks go to school, or experiment in lieu of school. Your choice. ... felix

357maximum
01-04-2010, 02:46 PM
I use a soft microcrystalline wax mix alot for conicals...never had an issue. Try it you will not be dissapointed. I have mixed mine with a dizzying array of natural and artificial softeners they all seem to work well. Neatsfoot oil, crisco, lard, tallow, vaseline etc etc have all seemed to work with the microwax.

I think it was the old heavy greases that got such rumors started, and it just keeps getting regurgitated by mouth and by print. I have never had an issue with petroleum jelly, paraffin, or micro wax in my bp guns on a conical or a patch....much adoodoo about nothing IMHO.

I would bet that alot of them NATURAL LUBE$ the $ell contain mineral oil,vaseline and such.

StarMetal
01-04-2010, 04:37 PM
I got the micro-crystalline wax to make up some of 357maximums latest lube and I was going to substitute it in my beeswax/soap lube, but can't bring myself to do it. That's not to say anything bad at all about MC wax, just I'm not sure I can improve my lube....but I want to experiment.

Just because it's a petroleum based product doesn't mean it acts like all other petroleum products. Think about this, most petroleum products are considered carcinogens, but yet Vasolene is used on wounds and burns.

Joe

gray wolf
01-07-2010, 10:57 AM
I use it for my 45 acp with a little Jojoba oil and it works great--accuracy is great and the leading is about a no issue. nice and white takes a color well and stay's on the bullets.
I got 130* and 140 or so *'s.
I think I will give it a try for the BP conicals out of my White 504 ultra-mag.

Thank you for the replys

GW.