PDA

View Full Version : Wheell weight prices/

Shooter6br
01-01-2010, 09:51 AM
i can buy some wheel weights 1970's age. What would be a fair price to offer? Rick

Fugowii
01-01-2010, 09:57 AM
i can buy some wheel weights 1970's age. What would be a fair price to offer? Rick

$20-$30 / Five Gallon Bucket (Full)

jnovotny
01-01-2010, 10:06 AM
Start out as little as you want to pay for them. You can always go higher, and not feel as if you paid too much.

badgeredd
01-01-2010, 10:13 AM
$30 is pretty much the going price....but lead prices are sneaking up so one has to be careful not to upset the seller if you really want them. What age they are really has no bearing on what they will bring on todays market.

Edd

bbs70
01-01-2010, 11:09 AM
When I'm lucky to find ww, I buy them by the lb.
I use an electronic scale.
I dump their bucket into my bucket, that way I can see what other stuff is in their bucket besides ww.
This way I can also deduct the weight of my bucket so I don't have to pay extra for the weight of their bucket.

I also find the person with the ww appreciates the use of the scale, that way he knows he is getting a fair price for his ww.
Which (to me at least) goes a long way in keeping the seller happy and more likely to save the ww for you.

As stated, offer the lowest price you want to pay, you can always go up.
I check with the scrap yards and see how much they pay for scrap lead and how much they sell it for, then I adjust my offering price.

fredj338
01-01-2010, 02:17 PM
$30 is pretty much the going price....but lead prices are sneaking up so one has to be careful not to upset the seller if you really want them. What age they are really has no bearing on what they will bring on todays market.

Edd

I agree. The only thing about 1970s ww, there will probably be no zinc or steel ww in there. I would be happy to pay $30/100# + bucket. That will yeald you about 80# of alloy +. That is only 37c / #. Pretty cheap bullets.:mrgreen:

Shooter6br
01-01-2010, 02:46 PM
Found two local sources The first has the 1970 wheel weights. The second has 45 lbs he used for sinkers .I dont konw what the metal is May be pure lead He wants $50 Any thoughts?

Shooter6br
01-01-2010, 02:51 PM
here it is

chris in va
01-01-2010, 09:56 PM
Question is, can you really use that pure lead?

lylejb
01-01-2010, 10:39 PM
$50 for 45lbs of
dont konw what the metal is

That's about $1.10 / lb, with no certain outcome. That doesn't sound so good to me.

Keep in mind, rotometals sells 55 lb pigs of 99.9% lead for $89 delivered. That's $1.62 / lb and you know exactly what it is.

I would call the scrap places around your area, and ask what their buy and sell prices are per pound. I would offer scrap price, maybe a little more, but no more than you could buy scrap for.

I haven't paid $1/ lb for lead yet, and hope I don't have to. Much of the time you could find someone in the swap & sell section with ingots for sale for less than that.

My .02 worth

lwknight
01-01-2010, 11:12 PM
My local scrapyard is currently paying $0.45 per pound. The jerks will not sell at any price.

Shooter6br
01-02-2010, 02:12 AM
My thoughts also I dont know what the metal is .I think the wheel weights are at least a know alloy (give or Take)

AriM
01-02-2010, 03:09 AM
pretty soon WW will only be a few cents (per pound) less than foundry grade alloy....something here just doesn't add up....people willing to pay for scrap, is what has driven prices up....junk man thinks hey can get $0.45 a pound....sells it to the foundry, foundry buys it because they know some guy will pay $1.80 a pound for decent clean alloy....and the cycle goes on and on....there are charts which track the current availability of warehoused lead....go find them and see how much lead is on the market right now....once you see how much there is, you will realize that the prices aren't an issue of supply/demand....it's just the "free market"....if everyone stopped buying lead at these prices, you watch how fast it would go back to $0.18 a pound....panic buying is ruining the firearms and ammunition markets....that includes lead/powder/primers/brass....and the fat cats are sitting behind the wheel of their Bently and laughing at us....meh....I guess I can't say much...I still buy everything I mentioned above

lylejb
01-02-2010, 03:15 AM
My thoughts also I dont know what the metal is .I think the wheel weights are at least a know alloy (give or Take)

+1 on that.

It looks to me, like the first ones on the scale are factory ingots, likely pure lead. See if you can scratch them with your thumbnail. As for the brownish white round bar, who knows. Is it lead pipe? Is it something someone poured years ago?? who knows.

Honestly, I have nothing against trying out some "mystery metal" if it were cheep enough / free. But I wouldn't pay that much for it. Lead isn't that hard to come by yet. Many times I've seen ingots for sale in our own swapping and selling area for less than that.

Lead Fred
01-02-2010, 03:20 AM
Yesterday they outlawed lead WW here.

Now folks think they are gold

lwknight
01-02-2010, 04:45 AM
The panic buying of lead by american comsumers is a very small thing in the world scope.
China is the largest new user of lead and they are buying a lot of it. A few months ago China cancelledall their steel,copper and lead orders. Copper fell from $3.95 to $0.95 and lead was up to $1.50 and fell to $0.50. Now all base metal prices are getting back up to where they were 10 months ago.

We boolit casters are not a drop in the bucket to affect the market price.

Rio Grande
01-02-2010, 07:12 AM
I called a scrap metal buyer here in Houston last week, asked what they paid for lead. They are only offering 30 cents a pound!

Shooter6br
01-02-2010, 10:19 AM
Well when the EPA calls CO2 a hazardous gas Anything is possible.

cbrick
01-02-2010, 03:23 PM
What age they are really has no bearing on what they will bring on todays market. Edd

Well, that may not be entirely true to boolit casters, possibly true in the much larger world of scrap metal prices.

Current WW's should average 2-3% antimony but in days gone by WW had around 10% antimony, nearly lino percentage. It was in the late 70's and early 80's that mfg's started dropping the percentage of antimony a bit at a time until it got to what we have today . . . 2-3%.

If those weights really are from the 70's they could be cut 50/50 with say stick-on weights (or pure) and you would still have a higher antimony percentage than todays weights. This would be a great find for a boolit caster, buy all of those weights you can get.

Rick

badgeredd
01-02-2010, 03:32 PM
here it is

Personally, I wouldn't pay any more than $0.20 a pound and I'd be darn sure that at least half of it was usable. $50 is WAY to much since you can get pig lead from our vendor/sponsor for about the same price per quantity and you know what you're getting. Mystery alloy can turn out to a real waste of funds in my experience. I'd pass on the unknown stuff.

Edd

snowwolfe
01-02-2010, 09:13 PM
2 years from now we will be paying $2 a pound and consider it a good deal. Better buy what you can while the gettin is good.

mold maker
01-02-2010, 11:03 PM
Let me know of any WW near me and I'll guarantee they will disappear fast. Get you heads away from the past and read the big sign on the wall.
WW that are usable are fast becoming dreams. The last melt I did was over 20%zinc/iron/rubber weights. On top of that was the usual trash such as valve stems, cores, and dirt.
When you add shipping to online or evilbay prices, for metal that you only have someone else's word for the content, it can get really expensive.
Get what you can in raw form and make sure to put some aside for hard times, cause they are certainly coming.
The fear of Obama may be the catalyst that drove all the prices in our hobby skyward, but there will always be another name to take his place. Nothing will ever be the same as our memories.
I can remember $.13/gal gasoline, but I'll never get any more at that price.
Remember when most print shops had Linotype?
Remember when all plumbers had a lead furnace and 5# lead cookies?
Remember when lots of machine bearings were made of babbitt?
Remember when ALL WW were lead/antimony that we got for free?
All that was the case when I started casting, less than 45 years ago, but it will never be that way again.

Shooter6br
01-02-2010, 11:19 PM
I rember getting a Remington 514 with Green Stamps! A Rem 700 BDL 134 bucks. 10cents for a bottle of Mountain Dew. I am 53 yrsd young.

snowwolfe
01-03-2010, 12:18 AM
I think the biggest factor affecting wheel weights was the decision by the California lawmakers to make them illegal.
Other states will soon follow and even if they don't companies who make wheel weights will grow tired of making different ones for the Ca crowd. They will simply start making only California spec wheel weights so they don't lose that market.

$.13 a gallon!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am 56 and never seen it lower than $19.9, lol.

lwknight
01-03-2010, 12:22 AM
Gasoline was not cheap when it was $0.23 per gallon. 1 hour of minimum wage would get you about 30 miles down the road. Now 1 hour of minimun wage will get you about 60-75 miles down the road.

cbrick
01-03-2010, 12:42 AM
I think the biggest factor affecting wheel weights was the decision by the California lawmakers to make them illegal.
Other states will soon follow and even if they don't companies who make wheel weights will grow tired of making different ones for the Ca crowd. They will simply start making only California spec wheel weights so they don't lose that market.

Newsflash snowwolfe,

California was not the first state to ban lead WW, just the most recent but what the h*ll, might just as well blame them as anyone huh?

Rick

snowwolfe
01-03-2010, 03:12 AM
Newsflash snowwolfe,

California was not the first state to ban lead WW, just the most recent but what the h*ll, might just as well blame them as anyone huh?

Rick

Wasnt blaming anyone. But am curious, what other states have banned them and when were they first banned?
I ask because California was the first state I have heard of.

cbrick
01-03-2010, 03:33 AM
Michigan 3-4 years ago, not sure of others. All of europe a few ago years ago.

Rick

9.3X62AL
01-03-2010, 11:02 AM
I was lucky enough to score a 15-gallon drum about 2/3 full of WWs from the 1960s a couple years ago. BHn tested at 13! I'm about 3/4 the way through that stockpile at present, and have 2 other metal lots I'll work through next.

I'm about done trying to score wheelweight metal the old-fashioned way. CA tire stores have largely been indoctrinated into the TreeHuggingCondorSaver consciousness-raising bullwarp, and if I hear that airhead mantra one more time I'll lose lunch.

When Rotometals first placed their ads here, I thought their prices were obscene. Now, I'm not so sure. No smelting required. No waste stream. No mystery metal. No driving around all over the place, getting less and less metal/more and more annoyed. They deliver it. They WANT to sell it, aren't afraid of doing so, and don't treat the transaction like some damn dope deal.

I think they'll get my business next time I want metal. Paradigm shifts are what they are, and we better get used to it.

Shooter6br
01-03-2010, 01:11 PM
I can get 95 lbs of wheel weights (1970 vintage) These are of course with clips so actual weight is less .Question what would be a fair price to offer? I can buy wheel weights from a sponser here for $1.95 a pound .No clips but have to ship. The seller is about at least 6 gals of gas away $15 . .50 cents a pound to high or low? Thanks Rick(ps) what would the yeild be of alloy with the clips removed

Muddy Creek Sam
01-03-2010, 01:35 PM
80 to 85%

lwknight
01-03-2010, 02:23 PM
Shooterbr, Those 70s vintage WWs might have $0.70 per pound worth antimony in them.
$1.00 would be a steal and if they are the newer 3% WWs its still not that bad.

fourdollarbill
01-03-2010, 02:25 PM
I can still buy it for $15 for a 5 gallon bucket around here. Also it is hard to find a bucket full.

cbrick
01-03-2010, 02:27 PM
I hear ya Al, I've been getting a bit more in the last couple of weeks than I had for quite some time. I think shops here are starting to realize that they can't re-use them now no matter how badly they may want to.

If I can get another 400-500 pounds cleaned up and in ingots added to what I currently have I should never have to worry about it for the rest of my shooting life. If I cannot get that much more within a reasonable time I'll check with Rotometals and just buy that much more.

Rick

fredj338
01-03-2010, 04:00 PM
Found two local sources The first has the 1970 wheel weights. The second has 45 lbs he used for sinkers .I dont konw what the metal is May be pure lead He wants $50 Any thoughts?
I won't pay $1/# for scrap. You can get cert alloy for $1.65/# delivered to your house & ready to cast.

fredj338
01-03-2010, 04:05 PM

$.13 a gallon!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am 56 and never seen it lower than $19.9, lol.
This **** actually started in Europe some 6-7 yrs ago. All Euro cars coming into the states have no lead ww. Kalif enviro kooks jumped on the band wagon as have the other western states. It will be a national ban before PBO leaves office, just watch & see. SO I collect what I can & am still using commercial cast for plinking bullets. I am saving the lead for LHP & big bore bullets.

badgeredd
01-10-2010, 01:56 PM
[QUOTE=cbrick;765777]Michigan 3-4 years ago, not sure of others. All of europe a few ago years ago.

Rick[/QUOTE

I have to question that. I live in MI and have three tire shops I go to that are still using NEW lead WW.

Edd

fatelk
01-10-2010, 05:09 PM
I can still buy it for $15 for a 5 gallon bucket around here

I wish I could find it for even double that here in Oregon. I just paid $15 for a much smaller bucket, from a fairly large chain store no less, because they were the only ones who would sell me any. The bucket weighed about 40 pounds, but after tossing all the steel and zinc weights, I ended up with 26 pounds of lead ingots. That's the most expensive lead I've ever bought.

I think I'll go back for more next week. 50 to 75 cents a pound will probably sound like quite a bargain in years to come.

lylejb
01-10-2010, 06:11 PM
That sounds like Les Schawb In canby!!

This summer, they wanted $20 for a 2 gal bucket.

Stick_man
01-10-2010, 06:24 PM

This summer, they wanted $20 for a 2 gal bucket.

Sounds like Les Schwab around these parts as well. They were willing to give me a few weights (<2 lbs) for free, but to buy a 2 gallon bucket would have set me back over $20. They said they have a contract to sell them back to their provider and that is how much they get in credit from them. Sounds to me like they are way overpaying for their new ones. I think I'd be looking for a new provider.

jack19512
01-10-2010, 06:26 PM
I still get my wheel weights for free but my best supplier has informed me they are switching to the new weights but the old weights will still be coming in for a while on the cars that still have them. I have more than enough to last me the rest of my life but will still collect them as long as I can.

Depdog
01-10-2010, 07:04 PM
Local Scrap Yard will sell WW for .56 a pound when they have them. They only give about .08 a pound for them.

I am lucky and get them from my County Maintence Shop as well as about 5 shops here close to me. I hit em once a week and empty their buckets. Gets me about 4 gallons a week.

Glenn

lwknight
01-10-2010, 07:31 PM
Depdog, the scrapyards around Fort Worth are paying $0.56 per pound for lead and $0.45 for WWs. If I had that opportunity I would buy all that they had.

fatelk
01-10-2010, 08:07 PM
And Les Schwab it was, though not in Canby. They told me the same thing: they are supposed to sell/credit them back to their supplier, but they could sell them to me for the same price. They must have lowered it some. I think I will go back for more, but I'll ask the guy filling the bucket if he could heap it up good this time. That might make it more worth it.

I don't cast a lot, and shoot even less, but I can sure foresee looking back on this time wishing I had stocked up more while it was still "cheap", just like I'm looking back now to the time when it was free.

AriM
01-10-2010, 09:37 PM
The panic buying of lead by american comsumers is a very small thing in the world scope.
China is the largest new user of lead and they are buying a lot of it. A few months ago China cancelledall their steel,copper and lead orders. Copper fell from $3.95 to $0.95 and lead was up to $1.50 and fell to $0.50. Now all base metal prices are getting back up to where they were 10 months ago.

We boolit casters are not a drop in the bucket to affect the market price.

although we boolit casters may not have a large affect....bullet manufacturing does....for military, LE and consumer markets....again it's not an issue of supply and demand it's an issue of willingness to pay obscene prices....I would ask you to do some more statistical research, to see what kind of stock is available....and how that stock has varied in proportion to spot price (over the years).....right now the ratio is WAYYYY off.....:castmine:

AriM
01-10-2010, 09:39 PM
2 years from now we will be paying $2 a pound and consider it a good deal. Better buy what you can while the gettin is good.

that will only happen if you are willing to pay it....if no one is willing to pay that price, the market will correct....

Ithaca1911
01-10-2010, 09:59 PM
Michigan 3-4 years ago, not sure of others. All of europe a few ago years ago.

Rick

hey, we got enough problems with the bull(&*^ around here, please don't blame us for problems we ain't got.

if lead WW are illegal here, there ain't a tire shop in my region that knows it. they're all using new lead WW.

lwknight
01-10-2010, 10:01 PM
although we boolit casters may not have a large affect....bullet manufacturing does....for military, LE and consumer markets....again it's not an issue of supply and demand it's an issue of willingness to pay obscene prices....I would ask you to do some more statistical research, to see what kind of stock is available....and how that stock has varied in proportion to spot price (over the years).....right now the ratio is WAYYYY off.....

Currently there is about 149,000 tonnes of lead registered on the London Metal Exchange market. NY warehouse does not list lead but copper and aluminum are about %15 of what London is.
Only a few weeks ago there was only 59,000 tonnes of lead.
Copper, Aluminum and Zinc are just under 500,000 tonnes.

Even though the stockpile of lead is up, the price is still climbing on futures contracts.

Depdog
01-10-2010, 10:34 PM
Well as long as I can still get em for free I am gonna keep gettin em and wont pay for them untill I cant.

Hope my luch holds out for a year or two. That way I should be able to stockpile a couple of tons for myself.

Glenn

lead Foot
01-10-2010, 10:38 PM
The guy at the scrap yard said the price of lead had gone up a lot . I payed $1 per kg ~ 50c per pound for wheel weights. He wants $2 per kg for good lead :( Out of 20kgs I got 17kgs of ingots. I was better off with the wheel weights. Though I sorted the zink out I still took a lot home. So if you buy a bucket of wheel weights there seems to be more and more zinc. As time goes on the reverse with happen ~ more zinc that lead.
Lead foot;

Changeling
01-14-2010, 02:52 PM
Lead is one of the most common metals mined.

cbrick
01-14-2010, 03:27 PM
hey, we got enough problems with the bull(&*^ around here, please don't blame us for problems we ain't got.

if lead WW are illegal here, there ain't a tire shop in my region that knows it. they're all using new lead WW.

Wasn't blaming anyone, went by a news report. Guess I should know better than to trust the media for anything.

If that's wrong . . . my apologies.

Rick

cbrick
01-14-2010, 03:40 PM
I just re-read this thread, I have sympathy for those that are forced to pay some ridiculous prices for WW.

Only one time have I paid for WW, $10.00 for one very full bucket. If I figure out my WW costs based on what I have vs. the $10.00 paid for all of it, not counting gas to go get it, propane or my time I have 0.0066666666666667 cents per pound invested. Aren't calculators wonderful? :coffeecom

Rick

lwknight
01-14-2010, 03:55 PM
I located a scrap yard that has 1500 pounds of soft lead and would sell it for $0.80 per pound. I fooled around and got there late and found out that I missed it by about 1 hour.

There was a barrel of WWs that he wanted $0.65 per pound for. I got thinking about and decided that I could smelt it and sell off enough locally to profit a couple hundred pounds for myself.

I bought the whole barrel (1270 pounds) at 65 cents per pound. When I started trying to sort out the clippies from the stickies it was getting hard to find WWs for all the Linotype bar, letters, cuttings and spacers. I got about 50 pounds of WWs out of the barrel and the rest was all Linotype.:bigsmyl2:

Now what the heck am I going to do with 1200 pounds of lino and no lead to mix?

johnlaw484
01-14-2010, 04:04 PM
Send it to me. It will :cbpour:

mfraser264
01-14-2010, 05:05 PM
Just picked up a 3 gallon bucket of WW for $25.00. Checked at the scrap yard and they were paying $.34/lb. This scrap yard will not sell lead so appreciate the yards that will. I am grabbing all I can until zinc makes the salvage useless. Talking with my tire store they are still using lead and until pushed in into zinc weights, it's lead.

Better yet, I had 91 pounds of range lead laying around. Took that to the scrap yard at
$.28/lb and it paid for my bucket of WW lead. We need means to track the "China market" as thay are the biggest purchaser and until they back off, lead will stay high.

I am amazed at how many people don't understand why China is purchasing lead. Lead is used in auto batteries, bullet and reactors. How many reactors does China have under constrcution?

Gathering other scrap metal has been funding my lead. The other day my father and unloaded a little steel of various sorts from a 20 yard container into my truck in 15 minutes. Recieved $35.75 cash(another bucket of lead). Mics. steel around here is $196.00 per 2246 pounds.

I have few simple ideas for easy scrap money, email me and I'll give you a few hints.

lwknight
01-14-2010, 11:05 PM
Well... If you need some lino to mix with that range lead, I know where you can get some.

Bob Krack
01-14-2010, 11:20 PM
I see your complaint was real.

Cast the lino into ingots and trade for WW or softer lead. Oughta be worth 2 to 1 in trade value (or close to it)

Bob

lwknight
01-15-2010, 02:33 PM
I will be casting the lino into ingots of about 9 pounds 3X5X2 more less.
I did find about 400 pounds of WWs at the bottom of the barrel so I really ended up (I'm guessing) with over 600 lb lino.
Shipping is a killer for trading purposes.

Depdog
01-15-2010, 03:04 PM
I'M still pretty new to casting. I might be interested in getting some Lino from you to make alloy if your interested. I gotta read up on adding lino and or tin to my WW

Glenn

sargenv
01-15-2010, 03:21 PM
Shipping is not so bad with flat rate boxes ;) though your mailman might build up their biceps :D

Ed K
01-18-2010, 09:34 AM
I am amazed at how many people don't understand why China is purchasing lead. Lead is used in auto batteries, bullet and reactors. How many reactors does China have under constrcution?

Don't forget children's toys!

b2948kevin
11-15-2012, 11:58 PM
Any recent prices on wheel weights? I have a supplier at 65 cents per pound, but not sure how that compares right now.

I have had to buy scrapped diving weights for $1 per pound up here for lack of any other sources about 6 months ago. Since joining this forum, I see that there are better sources :).

ronbo40s&w
11-16-2012, 02:43 PM
I recently paid .35/# for a bucket of them. I have a guy who will sell me large sorted ones for .75/#. Hope that helps.

God Bless!

Ron

ronbo40s&w
11-16-2012, 02:45 PM
fwiw, with some rounding at the counter it was $38/113#=33.6 cents/#

b2948kevin
11-16-2012, 02:54 PM
Awesome, thanks for the information. Where did you source this? I can't get any tire shops to sell these to me, and have had to resort to Craigslist to find anything at all.

Do you have a tire/scrap shop that sells them?

Vinne
11-16-2012, 11:38 PM
They get stupid with the price down south. I went to some tire shops and they want $30 a bucket!!! That's $3 a lb, by the time I melt down and remove the clips then make shot I just as well buy the shot and save all the work.

sw282
11-17-2012, 12:53 AM
Vinne--$3 a pound for a $30 bucket would be the size of a soup can. Here in South Carolina our wheel weight buckets are a little bigger at around 3 to 5 gallons. They go for around $30 also. 0urs usually weigh a hundred plus pounds. That computes to around 30 cents a pound.

vmthtr
12-03-2012, 08:39 AM
Local salvage yard here want 1@# unsorted. Told him I could get clean allow for about same price shipped to my house and he said to buy that.

bjeffv
12-03-2012, 06:35 PM
Local scrap yards in my area are giving .35 per pound raw wheel weights. Tire shops are getting $30-40 per full five gallon bucket from casters in need. its getting way harder to get a hold of scrap lead.

bjeffv
12-03-2012, 06:37 PM
Local salvage yard here want 1@# unsorted. Told him I could get clean allow for about same price shipped to my house and he said to buy that.

I am thinking that many scrap yards are predicting a sharp spike in metal prices. two years ago the price per pound of raw wheel weights was .05, now its .35. They are also taking in once fired brass for 1.89 per pound (so save that cracked brass).

I'll Make Mine
12-03-2012, 10:51 PM
Local scrap yards in my area are giving .35 per pound raw wheel weights. Tire shops are getting $30-40 per full five gallon bucket from casters in need. its getting way harder to get a hold of scrap lead.

I paid $35 for a bucket of scrap wheel weights a few weeks ago (got an independent tire shop just a couple blocks up where I'm a regular customer). I've got 37 pounds of ingots already smelted, at least that much metal remaining in the "sorted" bin, and a bit over a third of the original bucket yet to sort. I'm pretty sure I'll have over 100 lbs of alloy (looking like 75% clip-on, remainder the softer stick-on) by the time I'm through sorting and smelting, for a total outlay including fuel for my camp stove well under $50.

With my local scrap yard asking 90 cents a pound for scrap lead, unless it's already smelted and in ingots, it's not worth paying that (for me). I should call, though; if it's ingots, and known composition, and they'll sell in fifty pound lots or smaller (because I rarely have more than $50 to spend at one time)...

RG1911
12-14-2012, 04:46 PM
After visiting about 10 places Monday, I came away with *about* 90-100 pounds of scrap wheel weights for about $34. I paid a bit more at one place because I was trying to establish an on-going deal.

The big stores, such as Walmart and Sears, will absolutely not sell you their used wheel weights. Many of the slightly smaller chains have made deals to have some company pick up their scrap every other day or so and won't sell. The scrap yards won't sell to an individual.

So I scrounge WW any chance I get and if I pay more than 30 cents a pound some times, I'm just glad I was able to get it. It's still less expensive in the long run than store-bought boolits.

Richard

Rocket Man
12-17-2012, 02:10 PM
New wheel wt lead with 4% antimony was selling for about 90 cents per lb. Dirty wheel wt lead with clips, valve stems, grease, oil, bubble gum, papers, spit, tabacco, I refuse to pay more than 1/2 what lead costs new. If you want new lead call Wiley Sanders in Georgia they will deliver a 20 ton truck load to your shop door in 55 lb bars.

mbeil53
12-17-2012, 04:16 PM
Well, I guess I got lucky. I spent a couple of hours last week going around my neighborhood going to garages and small tire shops. I now have 4 locations that will save the wheel weights for me. Free!!

DustBowel
12-18-2012, 06:37 PM
I went to my local scrap yard last Saturday got 200# for 100.00 yealed 170#, it was all large WW weights. Think maybe I'll go back for more.

RG1911
12-19-2012, 12:31 PM
Found a local scrap place that said they have lots of wheel weights, but they want 80 cents a pound. Ouch. If it were nicely sorted, perhaps, but with zinc and iron weights, I've been running 15 percent rejects on the wheel weights I've been able to buy.

The number of places that used to sell me scrap wheel weights has diminished hugely. Either corporate policy, or there's a friend of a friend, or they have a deal with some scrap scrounger, or ...

Bother!

Richard

bslim
12-20-2012, 10:45 AM
I just picked up a pail of WW's yesterday from my favorite tire shop. The pail was no quite full to the brim and asfter sorting I ended up with 30% zinc/steel/tire stems etc. I still have to smelt it all down into ingots and I'll loose more on the clips. Still cost me $30 for the pail, so the writing is on the wall, no matter what area you live in.

Nose Dive
12-21-2012, 11:24 AM
Mmmmm... I got a bucket full of weights last week for a cold case of "light". Was able to sift through it all a pull out a few nonlead items, but all in all, felt the trade was fair. Buddy at the tire shop keeps them for me. Might try making a friend or two here and there and see if a 'barter' is cheaper than a 'buy'. Plus... City Engnieer hollers a me when he demo's old sewer lines in old part of city.... I don't mind the mud and crud, his boys leave the 'gasket's laying about and, another one of those boxes of 12oz. containers full of what they like makes all happy. Bit smelly sometimes. Nasty lead for sure...takes a bit of time to slow smelt the water and nastyis out of the subject matter, but, all comes out in the end. (no pun intended). Haven't had to purchase lead in a while, but don't shoot that much any more. Fella on the board sells good, clean NUCLEAR waste lead. Ships it to your door and is indeed qualtiy stuff.

Nose Dive.

Cheap, Fast, Good. Kindly pick two.

tbj555
12-22-2012, 10:16 PM
Im in illinois and scrap yards get $.85 per # but we have a local smelter that I can buy pure lead for market price of $1.03 per #. So I have give up on ww not worth it.

dg31872
12-22-2012, 10:32 PM
Took a tire into our local family tire store, and saw that his wheel weight barrel was better than half full. I asked him "how much?" He told me whatever the scrap metal place would pay him, he would take. I asked him to call and check the price please. I looked in the barrel, and on the top it was all lead weights, looked good to me. He called me back and said the scrap place was paying 5 cents per pound for wheel weights, and that was good enough for him. I had to pause to catch my breath, and in as calm a voice as I could muster, I asked him to double-check that number. He called me again and said the price is a nickle per pound. I told him that sounded fair to me if he was happy, and reminded him that last year I paid him 40 cents per pound for 800 pounds. He's a man of his word and said it is mine for a nickle. Told him to put my name on it, and that I would pick it up the day after Christmas. Santa came early this year!

badbob454
12-23-2012, 04:55 AM
my scrap lead guy buys for 30-40cents a pound sells for 70 cents a pound for clean scrap he sells clip on lead wheelweights for 40 cents a pound ..

sw282
12-23-2012, 08:57 AM
At a nickel a pound l dont think l would have left without that bucket

RG1911
12-27-2012, 11:39 AM
I found a couple places in my area that have sold me scrap wheel weights for 20 and 30 cents a pound. One recycle place will sell them for 80 cents per pound. That seems pretty pricey unless they've separated out the iron and zinc. (I'm running close to 15-percent rejects on the weights I've bought, so it might be worth the 80 cents/pound if it's all usable.) None of the big places -- Walmart, Firestone, Sears, Midas -- will sell to individuals anymore.

Richard

Richard

cwa11is
01-06-2013, 03:06 AM
All of the little tire shops here won't even sell them to me. They say they re-use them and are quite rude about it. One little scrap yard will sell me lead for 80cents #. That's pretty high, but I can dig through the barrel and the last time I got 50-60# of ww, 30-40# roofing lead, and 4-5# of pewter for $80. I figure the tin was worth the lead gouging.