PDA

View Full Version : Pan/Funnel for Balance beam scale

NuJudge
01-01-2010, 09:36 AM
I discovered again that the absolute fastest way to find a misplaced item is to buy a replacement: Several nights ago I could not find the pan from my Lyman balance beam scale. After looking for it for awhile, I went online and bought a replacement. Going back to my reloading bench, I immediately found the lost pan.

Things get worse.

The replacement pan arrived in due course:
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productnumber=118739

It is clearly marked to only use it on electronic scales, not balance beam scales. My question is why?

CDD

3006guns
01-01-2010, 10:00 AM
Probably because the pan's weight is computed as part of the scale's balance "zero". Using a heavier or lighter pan would make a balance scale difficult to zero.

I received an RCBS 5-10 scale for Christmas years ago and the inevitable happened....the scale pan got tossed with the wrappings. I took it to a local gun shop and the guy removed the cup under the pan support, took out a few small BB shot until it balanced and zero'd. I used that scale for many years with no pan and it worked beautifully.

Shiloh
01-01-2010, 11:22 AM
I suppose I should experiment, but why wouldn't it work on a balance beam scale? There are external adjustments on them that include raising or lowering the base to zero it.

Shiloh

Gar
01-01-2010, 12:58 PM
It'll work. If the screw adjustment won't balance the scale, just remove (or add) some weight from the pan support like 3006guns said.
I've got several different scales from different manufacturers, all have been balanced to use the same powder pan, less confusion and screw ups that way.

c3d4b2
01-01-2010, 03:15 PM
The balance beams are set up as a fulcrum and lever. The balance beam measures are set up so the pan hangs level and the weight is centered under the connection to the beam. Could it be that the extra material in the funnel would cause the pan to not hang level and would cause the scale to loose it's accuracy if the charge is not under the connection to the beam?

1hole
01-01-2010, 07:48 PM
Huh?

It's only the total weight difference between the pan designs, as aluded to by Gar and 3006.

All that matters is that the beam be balanced at zero when the pan's empty. Balance your beam with the little weights under the screw-on cover in the pan hanger and all will be well.

It IS possible that the new pan might be too heavy to balance even with all of the extra hanger weights removed and the cover and screw left off. If that's so, simply trim off enough of the new pans plastic to allow you to level/zero it with the left end elevating screw. That interesting new pan may be a helpful improvement over the original pan and a powder funnel.

GP100man
01-03-2010, 10:41 PM
I recieved a ohaus scale that had been in storage & it was completely disassembled all the way plum!!!

Well everything was there except the pan & while RCBS did send me one I had to get it to zero & used the method that Gar described & it checks perfect against all my other scales!!

So i would balance it as described & roll on.

as long as the hook for the stirrup is hooked correctly it does`nt matter where the weight is in the pan, in my exp.

If in doubt weigh some items & write the weight on em & I`ll check em against the 3 scales I have.

Seems like I read somewhere that lined notebook paper a 5/16 square weighs .1 grs.

340six
01-04-2010, 08:12 PM
I have that same pam from midway. I set my digital scale then placed it on the scale and zeroed it. It works great for what it is made for a digital scale.
I should have bought 3-4 of them lol.
My rcbs balance scale is used now to check the digital ones output.
It is truly a balance and even has some shot/bb's on the part that the pan goes on

fourdollarbill
01-05-2010, 09:37 AM
Worst case scenario you can use a dab of glue on either side of the beam to find zero.

buck1
01-09-2010, 10:06 AM
I got one of those to. My scale zeros and charges are the same from both pans.
I decided it was a "may not work on all scales type of thing".
Due to being heavy or light. Its a great little pan.....buck

Green Frog
01-09-2010, 12:33 PM
No personal experience with the combination of components mentioned initially, but I have re-zeroed a beam balance with a changed pan and I have used that great little pan and funnel combo (the one from Lyman.) [smilie=w: I can see absolutely no reason why the combination should not be able to be made to work, but as folks have said, it may take a little manipulation of the balance weights under the stirrup for the pan... that's what they are there for. I believe it should give you a pretty useful setup when you are done with it, so please keep us posted! :coffeecom

Froggie