PDA

View Full Version : 429215 Noe

kbstenberg
12-31-2009, 09:39 PM
I cast my first bullets today to break-in my mould. I left the mould sit on my hotplate about 20 minutes while my lead melted. I started casting in the farthest cavity from the handles an increased to the second cavity after about 5 casts. Even after progressing to all 5 cavities it still took 20 or 30 bullets till the sprue plate was easily cutting all the cavities. And another 20 or 30 bullets till the bullets were dropping without any wrinkles.
After the moulds were warm to casting temp i cast about 150 bullets for measuring an weighing
I am a newby so keep that in mind when looking at my results. My alloy was 75/25 (WW/Pure) plus 1.5% tin
Weight variation for the solid bases 230gr - 7bullets / 229.5gr-7bullets/ 229gr-3bullets / 228.5gr-1bullets / 228gr-2bullets
Weight for the GC bases 225gr-3bullets / 224.5gr-5bullets / 224gr-3bullets / 223.5gr-5bullets / 223gr-3bullets
All cavities seemed round. Unless you figure .0005 is out of round. Bullets measured .431 to 4315
The only problem i did have was that the mould started to stick both opening an closing. At times i would have to use my gloved right hand to squeeze the front of the mould closed an at other times while opening the mould it would bind. Before i cast with it tomorrow i will have to measure the pins
All corners seemed to look good an square. I didn't measure but it looks like the GC has a slite bevel so that the rear edge is slightly larger. It may be an opstical illusion i will have to measure tomorrow also.
I would have to give the boys at NOE a big A+ on this mould. Good work Swede.
Kevin

garandsrus
01-01-2010, 12:05 AM
Make sure you lube the pins....

John

kbstenberg
01-01-2010, 05:44 PM
Thank you. I went back today cast 5-600 more. Put BP on the pins an studs about every 25 casts. Went a lot smoother. Still a miner inc.
The mould did warm up a lot faster today.
Wish it was warm enough to shoot. I'm going to have to wait till March or April.
Kevin

outdoorfan
01-01-2010, 06:06 PM
Wish it was warm enough to shoot. I'm going to have to wait till March or April.
Kevin

Gonna be -25 tonight where I am (Mora), and probably much colder where you are.

Lloyd Smale
01-17-2010, 01:43 PM
like was said use a bit of the lube that came with the mold on the pins. Just dampen a qtip with in and rub a bit on. that and a few hundred bullets and they loosen up just fine.
I cast my first bullets today to break-in my mould. I left the mould sit on my hotplate about 20 minutes while my lead melted. I started casting in the farthest cavity from the handles an increased to the second cavity after about 5 casts. Even after progressing to all 5 cavities it still took 20 or 30 bullets till the sprue plate was easily cutting all the cavities. And another 20 or 30 bullets till the bullets were dropping without any wrinkles.
After the moulds were warm to casting temp i cast about 150 bullets for measuring an weighing
I am a newby so keep that in mind when looking at my results. My alloy was 75/25 (WW/Pure) plus 1.5% tin
Weight variation for the solid bases 230gr - 7bullets / 229.5gr-7bullets/ 229gr-3bullets / 228.5gr-1bullets / 228gr-2bullets
Weight for the GC bases 225gr-3bullets / 224.5gr-5bullets / 224gr-3bullets / 223.5gr-5bullets / 223gr-3bullets
All cavities seemed round. Unless you figure .0005 is out of round. Bullets measured .431 to 4315
The only problem i did have was that the mould started to stick both opening an closing. At times i would have to use my gloved right hand to squeeze the front of the mould closed an at other times while opening the mould it would bind. Before i cast with it tomorrow i will have to measure the pins
All corners seemed to look good an square. I didn't measure but it looks like the GC has a slite bevel so that the rear edge is slightly larger. It may be an opstical illusion i will have to measure tomorrow also.
I would have to give the boys at NOE a big A+ on this mould. Good work Swede.
Kevin

Newtire
01-23-2010, 05:43 PM
I got mine finally casting great after boiling it in soapy water and taking it thru it's 2nd casting session. I set the mould bottom right in the melt for a bit and then let the boolits solidify before knocking off the sprue and now it throws some very nice boolits every single time.

I put the Bullplate on the pins with a Q-tip like Lloyd says and that works great. I also rub just a film across the sides of the top of the block after lubing the pin holes.

Weather here has done nothing but rain for 2 weeks and no power part of jthe time so still no load testing. I'm gonna load some into .444 cases and try them in the Marlin at different speeds. Hopefully in a week or two.