PDA

View Full Version : .223 Seating Die ???

August
12-31-2009, 08:10 PM
I seated some long bullets today with my standard Hornady seating die and got some nasty rings on the ogive for my troubles.

I'm thinking about a Reding precision micrometer seating die. Can anyone advise me about a good seating die that will seat bullets without distorting them?

Or, should I get out the dremel or call Hornady ????

Thanks for any advice.

BTW I was using Hornady bullets and loads from the Hornady manual, so it should have been straight forward, IMHO. But, it wasn't.

Thanks again.

c3d4b2
12-31-2009, 10:24 PM
You did not mention what tye of bullets you are using so this may help or it may not......

I would recommend the Forster bench rest seater over the Redding. Both operate using the same principle, but the Foster is priced less. I use Forster dies for 223 with jacketed bullets and have not had any issues with Sierra, Horny or Nossler 80 grain bullets. I have also used RCBS dies with out issues.

1hole
12-31-2009, 10:39 PM
Assume you mean you have a shallow circle cut around the bullet nose by the seater punch? If so, it's common but means nothing on targets.

If it really bothers you use a Demel red rubber cone point tool on low speed and polish a soft radius on the mouth of your seater plug. Push it straight in so it's working all around the cavity at the same time; nothing to it.

WILCO
12-31-2009, 10:42 PM
Never had a problem.

Firebricker
01-01-2010, 03:01 PM
August, I use the same Hornady die on .223 with no problems but differant bullets. If you want to try mine to see if it's your die that's causing it I can lend you mine for a couple weeks if you want to check it out. FB