PDA

View Full Version : New NT brass and small primer

340six
12-31-2009, 07:28 PM
I see some makes of new bullets are selling new non toxic brass and wonder how it will fare with age?
Also normaly large primer brass are now small primer brass in Speer 45acp
is this a move to get production cost down and have one type :brokenima

bohokii
01-01-2010, 02:40 AM
heck i dont even know why they made large pistol primers i say phase them out like they did with the dome primers

Bullshop Junior
01-01-2010, 02:49 AM
Are you sure that the Speer brass is ACP? 45 GAP brass has a small primer pocket.

runfiverun
01-01-2010, 08:37 AM
win nt brass has small primer pockets too.
there are some changes afoot to the newer brass coming out.
i understand federal is doing some new stuff like staked primer pockets on their 40's
and crimped primer pockets on some of ther 30-06 stuff you might be picking up at the range.

340six
01-01-2010, 12:54 PM
Are you sure that the Speer brass is ACP? 45 GAP brass has a small primer pocket.

90% sure.
Plus there are some for sale every week at gunbroker.com{but bet now that I typed it there are none lol

ReloaderFred
01-05-2010, 06:11 PM
Federal, Speer and Winchester have been making small pistol primed .45 brass for several years now. They have also enlarged the flash holes.

Without going into a long dissertation about the reasons, just let me say that it was the result of the demands for non-toxic priming by the military, police and indoor ranges. The non-toxic priming compound has faster brisance (velocity) than lead styphnate does. The first NT primers backed out and locked up guns. They tried crimping them in, but that was only a partial solution. They then enlarged the flash holes, and that helped a lot. They then found that with the NT, and even standard primers, small pistol primers worked just fine is setting off the small amount of powder in a .45 acp case. Hence, the change to SP primers in NT loadings.

Just separate the SP primed brass from the LP primed brass and load in batches. You won't be able to tell the difference on target, unless you're a top ranked 50 yard bullseye shooter. The larger flash hole also doesn't make any difference.

It's not some kind of conspiracy at all, just the natural alteration caused by newer technology.

Hope this helps.

Fred