PDA

View Full Version : wilson case trimmer

12-31-2009, 01:41 PM
i just bought a wilson case trimmer. i did not get the micro adj. one. i wish i had. with the corse threads on the case stop it is very hard to make a .001 adj. has any one put on a fine thread case stop? it also looks like if the bushing that the case stop bolt goes throu was 3/4" long instead of 1/2" it would be better. has any one changed one?

catmandu
01-02-2010, 03:23 PM
Here is a link to using the Wilson Case Trimmer that shows how to use a bench caliper to correctly adjust in small incriments.

http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting2005/squeezeplay/index.asp

It is also a PDF file for download and saving.

Hope it helps,

Paul in WNY

Char-Gar
01-03-2010, 08:50 AM
I have been using a Wilson trimmer for 50+ years and have never felt the need to make .001 adjustments. The two important aspect of case trimming (rifle) is (1) keep the necks short enough so they don't jam into the chamber throat of the rifle and (2) keep the case necks uniform in length and square on the hends.

I keep one trimmed case as a gage and when I need to trim some more, I use that previously trimmed case to adjust the trimmer. Works for me!

Trying to adjust the case trimmer by .001" is truly majoring on the minor.

Shiloh
01-03-2010, 11:06 AM
I also use Chargar's method of a template piece of brass.

The Wilson trimmer is the most accurate trimmer I own. Set the machine a little long and measure your case after each turn of the cutter. When you get where you want, use that piece of brass as your template.

Once it is set, all brass is the exact same length.

SHiloh

stephen perry
01-03-2010, 11:40 AM
I have have my original Wilson case trimmer that I bought in 1975. What I have found might help. You can buy a trimmer holder that will allow you to mount the trimmer in a vise and a case holder hold down device that mounts to the trimmer making trimming allot easier. Most use a case of the length they want to trim to. When trimming do not put additional pressure on the handle when you feel you have reached your trim length. You can actually cut the case shorter with too much pressure on handle. Second you need to tap the case when when it's in the case holder to make sure when the cutter begins to cut that it doesn't spin inside the holder. This requires tapping the case to release after trimming. One last item don't forget to use the deburring tool to take the sharp edge inside and outside the case after trimming.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR :brokenima

cheese1566
01-03-2010, 12:32 PM
I use pre-trimmed case for a guide too. I use a label maker to designate a case already trimmed to length.

Check with Sinclair Intl for a complete assortment of goodies for it. I studied their catalog for hours in my "office" and copied some ideas into my homebrew trimmer station. Mine is actually a C-H model from the 1960's. The dowels hold the shellholders and labeled case gauges, the knock pad is hard poly, and the base was from scrap U-channel.