PDA

View Full Version : Federal primers-OK in Lee Safety Prime?

rwt101
12-31-2009, 12:35 PM
I use the Lee safety prime in my reloading. I have used CCI-Winchester and Magtech primers in it with no problem. I have never used Federal. I need primers and found some Federal small pistol primers and was wondering what your thoughts would be on using them. I know that Lee said not to use them in the auto prime.
Bob T

docone31
12-31-2009, 12:55 PM
I do not use Auto Prime, I use the Safety Prime.
I have used them all. No biggee.
I believe you get a better feel for seating the primer.

TAWILDCATT
01-03-2010, 07:42 PM
the warning is because someone blew a tray full and sued Lee.if your a hammer hand it could happen I have reloaded since 1937 and never had a primer go.I ease them in,I dont slam them.

jameslovesjammie
01-04-2010, 03:53 AM
On the Lee, there is nothing to separate the primer that is in contact with the ram from the primers in the flip tray. The reason they don't want you to use them in this particular device is that the if you get a primer half way in and half way out and give it a good squeeze, you could press the anvil of the primer and ignite it. This in turn causes a chain reaction of the other primers going off. The softer the primer cup, the easier this is to do. That is why they recommend against Federal, as they are the softest primers.

The only other hand primer I have used is the RCBS, which has "gate" that closes when you squeeze the handle, separating the primer in the ram from the primers in the tray. If one did go off, the closed gate would keep it from detonating the tray.

All this being said, we have worn out 2 of the Lee tools and have almost exclusively used Federal primers. Were we lucky? I don't know. Would I really fret and worry about it? Probably not. Just wear safety glasses no matter what primer or priming tool you use.

The Double D
01-04-2010, 12:15 PM
the warning is because someone blew a tray full and sued Lee.if your a hammer hand it could happen I have reloaded since 1937 and never had a primer go.I ease them in,I dont slam them.

I have only reloaded since 1970 and I have had a primer tray full go off and it wasn't hammer hand and I didn't sue and it was a CCI primer.

Back in the early 70's before advertisers dictated editorial policy the problem with the Lee priming tool blowing primers was widely reported in the gun mags.

And if there wasn't an issue Lee wouldn't put out a warning.

The problem is a good design with faulty execution. The plastic throat gets a ring scraped in it by the primer and will evntually tip the primer. You will feel the primer catch as you start to seat. It you don't catch it in time the primer will "snap" in and get crushed. Most of the time, nothing will happen...but one time!

All it needs is a better material for the throat and you would have the finest tool made for priming.

WILCO
01-04-2010, 12:22 PM
I do not use Auto Prime, I use the Safety Prime.

I believe you get a better feel for seating the primer.

Ditto for me.

Hardcast416taylor
01-04-2010, 03:03 PM
Friend of mine had a primer pop using the LEE tool. Turns out he was trying to seat a CCI primer into a miltary case WITHOUT removing the crimp ring being removed first at the primer pocket.Robert