PDA

View Full Version : Adding machine PP?

rockrat
12-31-2009, 12:31 PM
Saw the post on cash register tape. I have a half dozen of 30yr old adding machine tape I inherited. Seems thicker than the tape at the stores nowadays and wondering if anyone has tried the stuff?

lwknight
12-31-2009, 11:42 PM
How thick is the Addy tape? I don't have any around to check out.
As best I can remember, its not all that different from C.R. tape. maybe coarser.

rockrat
01-03-2010, 05:05 PM
It is .0022" by my 'mike

lwknight
01-03-2010, 06:54 PM
I just found some that my wife had in her desk. It is about 0.003 and seems to get thicker when wet. I will paper up some boolits to tinker with. I'm thinking that I may never get it through the sizer.
It would be great if I had under sized casts to start with.
I'll find out soon enough.

lwknight
01-04-2010, 01:23 AM
OK, I just rolled some boolits in adding maching paper. They patched up from .429 to .437
They went through the sizer with no problems. I did make wax paper with 2 and 2 were applied wet only. There was no difference between alox treated paper and plian paper except that the waxed paper sized 0.0005 smaller than the plain paper. I had .431 and .4315 from the .429 sizer die.

The cash register tape came out .431 both treated and non treated.

Zeek
01-09-2010, 02:36 PM
The real trick is to use just enough lube to get your PPCBoo to pass through your sizer die easily and seat smoothly. If you end up with too much lube down in the pores of the PPatch before sizing, it will act like an (incompressible) liquid, thereby preventing your PPatch from compressing enough to be really tough. Instead, the CBoo (your bullet's core) will size down while your PPatch remains somewhat uncollapsed.

The result? Your PPatch will be loose on your CBoo core, once the PPCBoo emerges from the sizer die. It will not shoot for sour owl sweat. When it comes to the lube, "easy does it!"
Zeek