PDA

View Full Version : Dillon Powder Die for cast in 7.62x39?

Daryl
12-31-2009, 07:25 AM
Hi,

The standard powder die that comes with the 7.62x39 conversion kit from Dillon is the "AK" powder die. The case mouth fits inside this die as the powder drops as opposed to strait-walled powder dies that expand the case mouth (i.e. "bell"). With our cast for the SKS at .312+ they do not start in the case and I have to hold or, basically, set the bullet on the case mouth and guide it into the seating die. Many times it will sit on the case ok.

I tried the 32 pistol powder die but, since it is for a short case, it is longer - therefore I can't adjust the powder die up high enough to accommodate the longer rifle case.

Anyone else noticed this? If so, what solutions have you tried?

Thanks

Calamity Jake
12-31-2009, 11:56 PM
All dillon powder dies for bottle neck brass fits over the neck and does not flair the mouth.
You can inside chamfer the case mouth to help in guiding the boolit into the case + adding another case prep step with a Lyman "M" die helps also.

48bpcr
01-01-2010, 08:02 AM
I bought the powder 2 inserts for the 30 carbine and modifyed them. I use one for 30-30 and the other for 30-40. I'm sure you could do the same for 7.62X39

cajun shooter
01-01-2010, 11:48 AM
Have you contacted and talked with any of the Dillon staff about your problem?

Tazman1602
01-01-2010, 11:56 AM
Email Dillon, they have never failed to return an email to me with a solution within 24 hours -- of course it's the holiday weekend so Mon-Tues would be your best bet on an answer.

Daryl
01-02-2010, 12:19 PM
I did after the post. They suggested the .30 carbine. I thought of contacting them after I made the post. I guess I did not think of it at first because I got the conversion kit from them and, without thinking that most people don't reload cast in that cartridge, I assumed that was the one they used.

So, it is a powder drop funnel "C" that goes with the .30 carbine. I'll pick that up and try it.

Thanks

Have you contacted and talked with any of the Dillon staff about your problem?