PDA

View Full Version : Ammo scarcity is STILL an amazement to me

Buckshot
12-31-2009, 03:43 AM
...........On Monday my neighbor (Ralf) had invited me to go shoot some trap with him, his son and 2 of his son's friends today (Wednesday). Of course I said sure thing. I'm no shotgun guy as shooting trap with an old 12ga Lefever double barrel doesn't appear to be 'Quite the thing'[smilie=l: However I had fun, so there! All my on hand shotgun shells are the partial boxes, onesies and twosies, and a handfull of these and a handfull of that. You know, a half box of old paper high base #4's, a bagfull of some old Peter's Blue Magics, a box or 2 of Federal ribbed field loads, etc & etc.

I figured on Tuesday I'd hit K Mart and if they didn't have what I was looking for (those 10 box cartons of Winchester promotional 12 ga I've seen) I'd head on down to Wally World (as much as I hate doing that). K Mart was a waste of time. All they had for ANY ammo was maybe 6 boxes of 20 ga, but it didn't surprise me as they'd never carried guns at all, and had never had much ammo.

So at Wally World I walked up to the ammo counter and the glass fronted case behind the counter might as well have been empty. Maybe 20 boxes of 22RF, 5-6 single boxes (Total) of 30-'06, 7mm mag, 30-30, 308............. And that was IT. They didn't have those 10 carton boxes of any shotshells, but did have those 4 carton sleeves of 20ga only.

There were 2 guys about my age (mid 50's) buying 22RF ammo. They were talking to the clerk (who probably worked in automotive). Questions like "Where's all the ammo" and "How come we can only buy 6 boxes"? They might as well have been talking to a brick. After they each got thier 6 boxes I asked if he knew if they might have some 12ga someplace else around the area? I knew better, but nothing beats a try but a failure and it turned out the latter. They had ONE TYPE of 12 ga on hand and luckily they were target loads. I bought 5 boxes. Four to shoot and one to add to my eclectic stash[smilie=1:

I mentioned the reason for the ammo situation, but this worthy couldn't have cared less. I don't know why I bothered except I thought he might be one of the benighted and besides, I felt confrontational :drinks: Anyway, it is still an amazement to me. I'll admit to being out of touch with retail ammo as I've only bought 22RF in the past several years so I'm not affected by it. I thought that since it was on the way home I'd stop in at Big 5 Sporting goods to see what they had. Their ammo is usually fairly steep and I already had my 12ga, but what the heck.

Their ammo shelves were pretty well stocked except for not having much 22RF and I figured out why they had some centerfire ammo when I saw that the price tag under the Winchester 308 that said $42 Holy Smoke!!!! At the end of the counter they had 2 cases of 20ga, a case of 16ga, and a case of 12ga field loads but none were priced and I had no real interest in shotshells at this point anyway. I'm glad all I needed was a few shotshells and if I'd had more time I could have reloaded myself a couple hundred 12 ga target loads. I have a BIG box of once fired Blue Magics out in the tool shed, and unopened bag of wads, a couple grand of 209's and maybe 50lbs of 7-1/2 shot.

..............Buckshot

357maximum
12-31-2009, 04:31 AM
This whole ammo thing amazes me also. The only thing I have really slowed down on shooting wise is 22RF.....I do not have a factory for that in my house....I do for everything else though.;-) Luckily I am a packrat and I have not had to buy much in the last 16months or so.

The local walmart has alot of 12/20 gauge promo loads here BTW. Not sure of price..did not look. My 3 buddies all named MEC see that I have what I need.

It would be a great time to go out and buy a 2nd hand superdooperearsplittenloudenboomer if one is interested in such things. ...there are a bunch of them on the used/consignement racks....must be the $80 dollar a box mastadon ammo prices I guess.

EMC45
12-31-2009, 06:28 AM
Got an old MEC mailed to me from a kind gentleman off of another forum. He was about to throw it away!! I paid shipping. It was missing parts so I made do with what I had. It worked great for what I did with it. I then had a shooting buddy at work tell me he had a shotgun reloader given to him and asked if I wanted it! Sure says I and I cannibalized it for my needed parts and changed some things on it with parts I had on hand and it loads 20ga. now and my other MEC is loading 12ga. now with the much needed parts canabalized from the other free MEC. Always swore I would never load shotshells. With this scare and hiked up prices I am a shotshell reloading fool!

Boz330
12-31-2009, 09:25 AM
Shot shells are plentiful and cheap at the local Wally World, but you can't find a 22 to save your butt. During dove season the 100 packs of 12 & 20 gauge were $20.97 and they are still $22.97 now and plenty of them. I can't load them that cheap.:groner:
Fortunately I stocked up on the necessary things the day after the election 08. Could use some 22s but in my single shot Martini they last pretty good and I probably have 3000 or so left.
I needed a couple powders for some testing that I didn't have and a buddy gave me several cans. One of the cans had a price tag still on it, $3.15,:shock: I wonder how old that is.

Bob

Rocky Raab
12-31-2009, 11:51 AM
Shotgun shells and supplies seem to be existing in a parallel universe, for sure. Except for the huge (and temporary) hump in shot prices a while back, there seems to be no constriction in the shotshell pipeline at all.

The good news is that metals spot prices have very recently slid down to almost the level they were before the big spike three years ago. The bad news is that bullet and cartridge companies buy their raw materials metals on long-term contracts at set prices, so we might not see a dip in factory ammo or components prices for quite some time yet. (Today's high prices are because those companies are still paying the prices they agreed to back when metals were astronomical).

Remember that the ancient toast "May you live in interesting times" was more of a curse than a good wish. These times are nothing if not "interesting."

runfiverun
12-31-2009, 11:53 AM
shot is getting harder for some shops to get lately.
the bags i have been seeing are at the 40.00 mark, the two sportsmans i have been to lately have both had ammo available shotshells were about 8.50 for rem and win. and estates were iirc 6.00.

500bfrman
12-31-2009, 12:03 PM
If today's prices are because the companies had to pay a couple years ago. why were they charging us so much a couple years ago? shouldn't they have been using the cheap stuff still then?

rockrat
12-31-2009, 12:04 PM
Shotshell loads here are plentiful at WallyWorld. How well stocked your store is, sometimes reflects the Manager.
At our store in town, sometimes the shelves aren't well stocked, and they don't carry some things, but the store 20 miles North always has their shelves stocked and neat and carries products ours doesn't. One of the best run Wally Worlds I have ever been in.
Here ,you get the atmosphere that they are doing you a favor by being open, but up North, they are glad to see you.