PDA

View Full Version : Ruger P89?

dk17hmr
12-31-2009, 02:06 AM
Looks like I am buying a Ruger P89, with 3 mags for $250. My dad bought it used a month or so ago to keep in his Jeep he put maybe 100 rounds through it since he bought it, said there were zero failures. Anyways he bought a Berreta 92 this morning and doesnt want this Ruger, I told him I would give him what he paid for it and when he comes out in April we can take it to my FFL and have it transfered to me....he lives in Michigan and I am living in Wyoming. He is even going to bring me a bucket of brass when he comes. Just need to get dies and bullets.

I had a Taurus 9mm when I was still in Michigan and never really had much use for it. Is this Ruger going to be any better? What do people use 9mm for these days....rabbit hunting? The gun is to bulky for me to CC but maybe just a truck gun? I was thinkin it would make a good nightstand gun for my girlfriend but she shot my 1911 a few weeks ago and wont give it back now.

9.3X62AL
12-31-2009, 02:34 AM
I have a P-89X that is about 15 years old. It is every bit as accurate and reliable as my SIG P-226. Like all Rugers, it is stout and stalwart--maybe not as elegant as a Beretta 92 or as tacticool as a Glock--but very capable and sturdy. I don't hold American-made 9mm pistols (Ruger or S&W) in the same contempt that some folks do.

If you use good ammunition, the 9mm can be a very capable self-defense caliber against 2-legged vermin. My 9mm pistols get 124 grain Speer Lawman Gold Dots, supposedly +P. They run 1225-1250 FPS, which is the velocity level the 9mm started life with in 1902. "+P", my aspirations--it's just full-potential, that's all. I scrupulously avoid the much-touted 147 grain "sub-sonic" JHP loads, unless hunting cottontails or like species. In my estimation, that's about all they're good for.

EMC45
12-31-2009, 06:40 AM
If I was your dad I would be giving up the Beretta and keeping the Ruger. That's just me though. I like the Ruger pistols and have had several of them in the past. They are quite stout, accurate and will feed/function just about any ammo out there. The Beretta on the other hand is a different story. I had a 92FS and couldn't get rid of it fast enough. I also have been qualifying on the M9 since about 1998 and still not a fan!

NickSS
12-31-2009, 07:52 AM
I have a Ruger P89 and love it. It shoots accurately and never, in over 3000 rounds of various ammo including some very hot loads down to ones that would barely cycle the slide, jammed even once. As far as defensive use the 9 mm is not as good as a 45 acp with hard ball but with some of the new defense bullets I would not feel under armed at all. My self defense loads are Speer Gold dot 124 gr bullets going at around 1225 from my pistol. I have shot a coyote with one of them at about 25 yards and it died right there on the spot. There was a lot of damage to the lungs and the slug went clean through it. I was impressed with its performance as I have also shot coyotes with a 45 acp and there was not as much damage though they died too.

kingstrider
12-31-2009, 11:25 AM
I've had 2 or 3 of them and they are very reliable but I don't care for how they look or feel. But they always go bang which is what matters I guess. One of the local pawnshops even had a stainless P89 a couple days ago at a good price and I had to tell myself to put it down and walk away.

I also had a Beretta 92FS and loved the look and feel of it, but it was a *** and would not shoot to POA despite extensive testing with factory and handloaded ammo so it had to move along. Either way you can't go wrong with the price and are getting a more reliable gun than the 92 IMO. That is if your dad doesn't decide he likes the Ruger better over the next several months lol.

scrapcan
12-31-2009, 12:34 PM
I had a p89 that had seen heavy use by a criminal justic major who shot student competition. It had aver 100k rounds thru it ( logged thru competition) when he graduated, got a job, and sold it to his dad who is a friend and sold it to me. It was very accurate and would feed anything. Loved cast bullets and burned an enormous amount of BE and Unique for me.

I shot it for 4 years and just never could get used to the feel of the grip. I constanly would revert back to the 1911. I ended up trading the p89 for a springfield P9 ( CZ75b clone). As much as I like the springfield/cz, the p89 was far more reliable and easier to feed.

Shooter30-06
12-31-2009, 06:08 PM
I have a P-89 and would recommend a set of Hogue grips for it. The set I bought made the P-89 feel 100% better.

dk17hmr
01-01-2010, 12:00 PM
I am still home in Michigan, until Saturday, yesterday I pulled the Ruger out of the safe. It is a P85. It appears that they are roughly the same gun except for the finish.

chris in va
01-01-2010, 10:03 PM
I tried one when looking for my first CC gun, didn't care for the ergos. But I understand they work no matter what, and that's half the game right?