PDA

View Full Version : RCBS A2 Press

smoked turkey
12-30-2009, 11:31 PM
Just askin and kinda braggin here.. My birthday is coming up and my son knowing I have been coveting his big, heavy, green A2 press has indicated he would let me borrow it for my birthday for as long as I need it. I think that is quite a deal! I have had a rockchucker for about 40 years and think it is all the press I really need. I have to say though that the A2 is quite a bit heavier and what little I have used it, it seems like it might be some stronger than the old RC. I figure that heavier and stronger is better. Was wondering what experience anyone else has had with the A2. It is missing the small primer arm, and I was wondering how to catch spent primers. They seem to fall through the ram into a pail I have set on the floor. However some miss the pail and some stick inside the ram. I have cleaned and re-greased all moving parts. The old thing cleaned up quite well and looks real good on my reloading stand. I'm a pretty happy man over the deal.

Char-Gar
12-30-2009, 11:45 PM
IMHO.. The RCBS A2 is the best single stage press every made. Most were made from cast steel, but some of the later ones were cast iron. If you press have the bushing in the top to reduce the threads to 7/8 X 14 it is steel.

The spent primers fall through the ram into a bucket placed beneath. If there is any oil inside the ram, the spent primers will accumulate and need to be picked out from time to time. Clean out the inside of the ram and primer channel with acetone and you should have fewer problems.

Huntington Die Services sell parts for the A2 including the primer arms, but get ready to pay big bucks.

These big brusers never wear out in normal loading use. They just keep getting slicker and slicker over the years. Mine was made in the mid 1950's and is good as new, even though it doesn't look look like new.

GLL
12-30-2009, 11:46 PM
I would be a happy man too ! GREAT SON !

I have been searching for an A2 for the past year !

Jerry

stephen perry
12-31-2009, 12:21 AM
I have 3 Rockchuckers and a A2. I use 1 rockchucker for general loading and the other 3 presses for bullet making. I had a hard time deciding what step to use the A2 for and ended up using it for core seating.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR :brokenima

smoked turkey
12-31-2009, 01:37 PM
Thanks Chargar for the info on the primers and for the other replies. This press has a 68 stamped on the top by the die threads. So I assume it was made then. No insert so it is probably cast iron. I don't prime with the primer arm anyway. But for some reason I would like to locate a small primer arm in case I ever need to. I did use the large primer arm to prime a few cases of 444 Marlin, and some 35 Whelen. It worked good after I got it adjusted. Like GLL posted, I have also looked for one of these for several years. I did see one at a gun show a few years back but too much money for me. I am enjoying the new press and some day hope to get into swaging like stephen. I have never done that so it will be all new for me. Thanks again and Happy New Year To All.

1hole
12-31-2009, 02:44 PM
The "A" series presses are good but they were massively over built and costly for common reloading chores, too expensive to market successfully. Huntington quickly recognised that and he brought out the smaller Rock Chucker series to better compete in the very competitive reloading tool market. The "A" presses didn't last long after that, pretty much gone by the early 70s, IIRC.

Pressman
12-31-2009, 03:41 PM
Curiously the A2 was redesigned when the Rockchucker came out. The upper frame opening is expanded, larger, the bushing eliminated, color changed and made of cast iron. Also the year of production was stamped on the top of the frame. It lasted a couple/three years, was dropped only to be replaced by a nearly identical press called the A3. It lasted 18 months and was dropped.
Ken

RANGER RICK
12-31-2009, 04:42 PM
I picked up this A2 a couple years ago in a bunch of reloading equipment I purchased.
The guy said he had two RCBS rock chuckers along with other items for sale as a lot .
I wanted the two RC but upon arriving to buy them one was this A2 which I never herd of at the time but when it dwrarfed the RC I knew I wanted it for my swagging equipment.
It does a great job.I am pretty sure it is a cast steel model.

RR

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v504/RANGERRICKQUIGLEY/DSC00568.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v504/RANGERRICKQUIGLEY/DSC00567.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v504/RANGERRICKQUIGLEY/DSC01178.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v504/RANGERRICKQUIGLEY/DSC01179.jpg

Marlinreloader
12-31-2009, 04:52 PM
I have an A-10. were these made from A-2 to A-10? This thing is a tank and has a thick and large ram.

Thanks

Marlinreloader

cheese1566
12-31-2009, 07:46 PM
Help me! All I see is a calender in those pics...where is the press???

12glocks
12-31-2009, 09:37 PM
Help me! All I see is a calender in those pics...where is the press???

I see the pics.

1hole
12-31-2009, 10:46 PM
Rick, is that a "home made" trickler in the top photo? It really looks good, heavy enough to be stable in use.

Pressman
01-01-2010, 05:42 PM
Ranger Rick yours is anothe variation. RCBS calls it an A2 but it is known as the 2A. It differes mainly in paint and top bushing from the A2.

Marlin Reloader, they ran from A through A3. There is an A4 though it is a completely different press that was introduced several years after the end of the A3. The RC presses have a small casting number on the side that is often mistaken for an A series press.
Ken

RANGER RICK
01-03-2010, 12:11 AM
Rick, is that a "home made" trickler in the top photo? It really looks good, heavy enough to be stable in use.

Yes it is and it is very heavy . A friend made it for me awhile back and yes very stable.

Pressman

Thanks for the information .
I really like this press.

RR

Marlinreloader
01-03-2010, 12:38 AM
Pressman,

Mine has an RC on the side and then stamped to the right of the large ram is A-10.

Thanks

Pressman
01-03-2010, 08:37 AM
Marlinrelaoder, yours is a late Rockchucker. There seems to be a sequence to the casting numbers that I need to sort out. They do cause a lot of confusion by people wondering what they are for or if they have an A series press. Interestingly your a10 is the highest number I have encountered. My 1975 dated Rockchucker does not seem to have a casting number. Hmm, more questions.
If you can take the bushing out and see what the two numbers are stamped on the top of the frame, that would be the year your press was made.
For clarity, all the A presses have a large letter A and number cast into the front leg of the frame, under the primer arm.
Ken