PDA

View Full Version : Tollofson Class in Creedmoor

Kenny Wasserburger
12-30-2009, 10:38 PM
NRA's New Tollofson Class will get its first feet wetting in Phoenix in March at the Winter Nationals or Regional Event.

This match is one not to miss, along with the America's Cup Match the 2 days before the Regional. This is put up or shut up match No spotter![smilie=1:

800-900-1000 yards.

KW
The Lunger

Doc Highwall
12-30-2009, 10:40 PM
Makes you pay attention to your wind reading skills don't it.

Kenny Wasserburger
12-30-2009, 10:44 PM
That it does Doc.

KW
The Lunger

looseprojectile
12-31-2009, 12:00 AM
for our own Wasserburger.
You gotta work the night shift just to produce practice ammo doncha? Sounds like another large adrenalin rush.
Good luck Kenny.

Life is good

RMulhern
12-31-2009, 05:03 PM
Hey Dude

Are you trying to entice me and a few more to come shoot against that 'THING' you've got??

Say...did Kirk make that out of a Ford/Dodge or Chevy truck axle??[smilie=w::veryconfu:mrgreen:

Doc Highwall
12-31-2009, 05:29 PM
You don't have too be worried until he mounts wheels to the butt stock like a golfer and dispenses his favorite drink, like in caddy shack.

Lead pot
12-31-2009, 05:48 PM
Knowing Kirk he probably pulled the axle out of one of his old Fords :grin:

Kurt

Don McDowell
12-31-2009, 06:03 PM
First glance at Dora from the muzzle it looks like a 38-55 hole until your head gets a grip on the size of that barrel:mrgreen:

Kenny Wasserburger
01-01-2010, 05:34 PM
Dora is a big hunk of steel with out a doubt so far its really showing signs of excellent accuracy with .444 diam PP bullets at ranges too 1000 yards.

KW

Dast Lunger

Don McDowell
01-01-2010, 06:00 PM
Well I"m hoping she treats you well at Phoenix.

Doc Highwall
01-01-2010, 07:48 PM
How do you haul Dora around Kenny in a soft case or one of those wooden Sharps box's. When I was shooting small bore with my Anschutz I carried it in a Pelican case and the case weighed 17+ lbs by it's self. I am waiting to heal up some more so I can carry all the stuff with out hurting myself.

Kenny Wasserburger
01-01-2010, 07:50 PM
I carry Dora in a SKB heavy duty Roto Moulded case, it is not light!

KW

The Lunge

Don McDowell
01-01-2010, 10:28 PM
Kenny is Dora using your same load as the LRE or did you end up making some changes?

Kenny Wasserburger
01-02-2010, 11:49 AM
Don,

Dora is using the same load except for the bullet it is .444 diam vrs the .446 in the LRE.

Shooting it is a pleasure the extra weight really soaks up recoil an it is a joy to shoot.

KW

The Lunger

Don McDowell
01-02-2010, 12:50 PM
I've been kicking myself pretty hard since Harlans shoot for not asking to pop a couple of rounds thru her.

Kenny Wasserburger
01-02-2010, 01:12 PM
Don,

any time anyplace your more then welcome to run a few down the pipe on Dora.

KW
The Lunger

Don McDowell
01-02-2010, 01:17 PM
Thankee kindly sir. Maybe with a bit of luck we'll get caught up this spring....
Only 118 days now till Alliance, and your shoot is 14 days beyond that ...

hydraulic
01-02-2010, 11:03 PM
Kenny: I'll be at Alliance to help you push your cart up to the line again.

Kenny Wasserburger
01-03-2010, 10:55 AM
Hydraulic,

That was a bad day my old asthma just had about done me in. Hopefully these infusions, will make that task not quite so hard.

But that Cart with Dora atop it is damm heavy!

PS that was mighty kind of you to help that day.

KW
The Lunger

powderburnerr
01-03-2010, 05:19 PM
for the tollifson match is there a minimum weight to start.?...............Dean

Lead pot
01-03-2010, 06:41 PM
I asked that question once too but it never was answered.

Well Dean you have had your new one now six months and you have never told me the rifle is shooting??
I know that you were as proud as a Peacock when they put it in your hands[smilie=w:
Kurt

Kenny Wasserburger
01-03-2010, 07:12 PM
I assumed, folks know the rules:

and that was my mistake, Current rules are for NRA Creedmoor a rifle must weigh in under 15 Lbs. Anyone that has ever shot Creedmoor would of course know that.

The Tollofson Class would allow for any rifle over 15lbs and must weigh less then 25 lbs max.

You guys should get a rule book if you are ever planing on shooting this match.

See you in Phoenix.

KW
The Lunger

powderburnerr
01-03-2010, 10:13 PM
Kurt , the rifle is everything it is supposed to be , I have been shooting it almost as much as my truck axel. Which says a lot for it. It seems to be very consistant and it is easy to make accurate loads for it. just about anything I put in it works. I really like the extra two inches of barrel ,It makes the sight picture clearer for me than the 30 inchers.The only drawback is that it is tight in my safe,I need to be extra careful as it touches the cieling. probably need to get a taller safe;......Dean

thanks kenny

Lead pot
01-03-2010, 10:59 PM
Kenny

I have a rule book for the Creedmoor match because I intended shooting at Phoenix.
But I saw nothing about a shoot called the Tollofson, I never heard of that type of shoot till a few weeks ago.
Sorry for my ignorance.

Dean.

Hey big feller my safe is tall enough to fit that rifle in :mrgreen:
That rifle sure is a beaut.
Bring a few extra rounds to the Q next summer I would like to shoot it now that you got it broke in. and if we run out of ammo I have a press set up in the new Turtle shell and plenty of powder and shot.
I guess if I want to shoot against those heavy rifles I'm going to have to take some of my lead wire and wrap a couple lengths around my barrel to get 15#+ for my .50 :-)

Kurt

Kenny Wasserburger
01-03-2010, 11:04 PM
Kurt,

Then I am guessing you never read any of the posts on the Tollofson Class or how It came about over on the Shiloh Forum. I posted the original letter last summer before Raton and have kept everyone up todate on how that shook out.

KW
The Lunger

powderburnerr
01-03-2010, 11:16 PM
Kurt , I always have extra rounds for my rifles .the motorhome is sideways from all the lead in it along with all the other stuff,,and any time you want to try it out you are welcome to ..if you want a big rifle just solder a length of 2 "copper on the outside of that scratched up 40-70........I most generaly even bring lead and moulds on my trips just in case the rules call for casting and loading on a blanket. I just am not fussy that way..............Dean

Kenny , I been following your thread but do not remember seeing a minimum weight , sorry if
i missed it.........

Kenny Wasserburger
01-03-2010, 11:21 PM
Dean,

its not a big deal, I think Kurt is just pulling my chain.

KW
The Lunger

montana_charlie
01-04-2010, 12:20 AM
You guys should get a rule book if you are ever planing on shooting this match.
From reading your posts on Shiloh, I get the idea that it's only gonna be you and about seven other guys who will ever shoot that match.

Most of us couldn't even afford to go to Phoenix and watch.
CM

Don McDowell
01-04-2010, 12:32 AM
Going to Phoenix isn't that big of a deal nor that expensive. The problem with the Phoenix match is the dates, right smack dab in the middle of calving......
But you could shoot one of those heavy guns at Alliance (2 matches) Kenny's Creedmore , Jim Terry's Wyoming Championship, and if you want to buff up , or don't mind taking a zero on the offhand there's nothing to stop you from using it at the Quigley.
Then there's Raton.....
Yeup if I could figure away to jingle the change for it'ld I have me one of those chunk guns.

Lead pot
01-04-2010, 02:10 AM
Yes Kenny I read the letter you posted that you sent to the comity. But I havent been following your posts on this till I saw it again just shortly and I asked if a lighter weight rifle could be used in that match and I never got a answer to this question, and I dont see anything in the book except that weight limit in the creedmoor is 15 pounds but have no restrictions for lighter weight.
Ah the hell with it anyway.
AR SK (Ham Radio Talk)

Kurt

Kenny Wasserburger
01-04-2010, 11:59 AM
Charlie,

With 50 plus bull barrel guns built by Shiloh alone, and I Know of quite a few more highwalls and ballards that I have seen over the years running in the 18 Lb class of weight I hope to see many more of these rifles on the line. The heavy guns would allow folks with shoulder injurys to shoot and younger and women to shoot a 90 or larger with out the ill effects of the Recoil these rifles have when weighing 12-14 lbs in the Prone. You often see these heavy rifles in String Measure Matches around the country, Heavy guns are nothing new.

As for the cost of a trip to Phoenix, I dont think its that costly. But then again it all depends on your prioritys I suspect.

However I do have a good job work full time and spend my money on rifles and shooting trips, that does make a difference.

KW
The Lunger