PDA

View Full Version : 1st trip to the range w 7.62x39mm AR

johnly
12-30-2009, 09:47 PM
Put a flat top Colt AR upper on a Rock River Arms lower I recently put together. Took the carry handle sight off and put on one of those $50 BSA holosights just for grins. After getting the rifle sighted it, it just drilled 3/4" 5 shot groups at 50 yards with 12.0 gr. of 2400 and a 155 gr. NEI bullet sized to .313". The load operated the action, but wasn't quite enough to pick up the next round. The again it was 27 degrees outside and everything was running a little slow.

I now inclined to put a floaring handguard on the rifle and see if the accuracy improves further.

mike in co
12-30-2009, 10:11 PM
Put a flat top Colt AR upper on a Rock River Arms lower I recently put together. Took the carry handle sight off and put on one of those $50 BSA holosights just for grins. After getting the rifle sighted it, it just drilled 3/4" 5 shot groups at 50 yards with 12.0 gr. of 2400 and a 155 gr. NEI bullet sized to .313". The load operated the action, but wasn't quite enough to pick up the next round. The again it was 27 degrees outside and everything was running a little slow.

I now inclined to put a floaring handguard on the rifle and see if the accuracy improves further.

the floating handguard is only an issue where significant tension is applied to the bbl/handguard...as in tight sling prone.

mike in co