PDA

View Full Version : Whitworths hunt

44man
12-30-2009, 08:03 PM
Marko came out today and shot a nice deer. He used his .475 SRH and the blood trail was unreal, although he did not have to track because it only went 25 yards.
I had to cut up my deer and help Marko with his but he really did a good job before I got home from the doctor with Carol.
Eventually he will be a good deer cutter upper!
He left 10 times more hair on the meat then I want to see, maybe next season I can show him more.
We had a great day though. That is all that counts.

Changeling
12-31-2009, 06:49 PM
Marko came out today and shot a nice deer. He used his .475 SRH and the blood trail was unreal, although he did not have to track because it only went 25 yards.
I had to cut up my deer and help Marko with his but he really did a good job before I got home from the doctor with Carol.
Eventually he will be a good deer cutter upper!
He left 10 times more hair on the meat then I want to see, maybe next season I can show him more.
We had a great day though. That is all that counts.

Cutting them up is just something that takes a few, one seems to get better and better after 4 or 5. Of course a lot depends on how you want to cut it up, like cutting it up for chops or just stripping out the loins and cutting them up and so on.

Then again one of those dam .475's should do most of that for you, LOL.:mrgreen:

Edubya
12-31-2009, 10:06 PM
Have you ever just cut the skin around the base of the neck (after gutting) and get the skinning started for about a foot; ball up a large rock in loose skin; put a tow strap around the deer's neck to hold the carcase to a solid tree then tie a rope around the balled up hide and rock attaching that to a truck trailer hitch and pull the hide off with the truck?
EW
here is what I'm trying to describe:http://www.the-deer-hunting-guide.com/skinning_deer.htm

Whitworth
12-31-2009, 10:30 PM
Skinning isn't the issue, nor isquartering, it was the actual butchering......yikes -- I normally pay folks for that part! :D

Bass Ackward
01-01-2010, 08:19 AM

Oh my! Learn to use one of those small propane bottle torch outfits and singe that hair away before you start cutting so that it doesn't GET in the meat.

We did up 7 this year, three of which were mine.

44man
01-01-2010, 10:14 AM
Have you ever just cut the skin around the base of the neck (after gutting) and get the skinning started for about a foot; ball up a large rock in loose skin; put a tow strap around the deer's neck to hold the carcase to a solid tree then tie a rope around the balled up hide and rock attaching that to a truck trailer hitch and pull the hide off with the truck?
EW
here is what I'm trying to describe:http://www.the-deer-hunting-guide.com/skinning_deer.htm
Yes, we have done that with the bumper hitch on a car but I do my deer in the garage. I hang them at the barn to cool and have to drag them to the garage so I need the skin on.
I bought one of those bronze claws from Cabela's and they work nice.
I have a large ring screw or whatever it is called, in the ceiling. I hook my block and tackle to it. My garage has a boat and all of my wood working machines in the way so I can't pull the skin that way.
Where Marko makes his mistake is that he cuts from the outside through the hair instead of sliding the knife under the skin.
Other then that, he did a great job. I just need to show him more about the natural separation of the muscles.
I have butchered well over 360 deer of my own and helped with many, many more. I still HATE it. I take all fat, connective tissue and sinew off. Meat is boned except the front shoulders, they are good to go for a roast or BBQ.
Every time I shoot a deer my first response is "OH NUTS", the work starts. I stand and look at them for a while before gutting too, it really does get old.

outdoorfan
01-01-2010, 12:06 PM
I have butchered well over 360 deer of my own and helped with many, many more. I still HATE it. I take all fat, connective tissue and sinew off. Meat is boned except the front shoulders, they are good to go for a roast or BBQ.
Every time I shoot a deer my first response is "OH NUTS", the work starts. I stand and look at them for a while before gutting too, it really does get old.

I'm at maybe only 40 deer, and I feel the same way! LOL!! And I still haven't yet figured out how to make those cuts really nice like the pros do. Should do some reading, I suppose.

Bass Ackward
01-01-2010, 04:11 PM
I take all fat, connective tissue and sinew off.

That fat sure makes a good lube for BP, but unlike bear fat, it will begin to smell.

44man
01-01-2010, 04:19 PM
That fat sure makes a good lube for BP, but unlike bear fat, it will begin to smell.
Too hard, like a candle. I put a huge hunk outside and the birds stayed warm all winter.

Changeling
01-02-2010, 04:40 PM

Not if you put in in a pot of soup (with meat is better) with onions carrots potatoes and celery, LOL. You can say good by to chapped lips after one nice bowl also, might want to throw some dumplings in there also.

44man
01-02-2010, 04:52 PM
Not if you put in in a pot of soup (with meat is better) with onions carrots potatoes and celery, LOL. You can say good by to chapped lips after one nice bowl also, might want to throw some dumplings in there also.
:veryconfu Cool the soup and put a wick in it to light the room! [smilie=w:
Naw, deer fat tastes nasty.