PDA

View Full Version : I need help

chaos
12-30-2009, 07:59 PM
I have a Tony Knight LK 93 that I purchased brand spankin new in 1993. I sighted it in and took one deer then retired it forever or so I thought.

Today, my 14 year old dug the damn thing out and wants to use it. I found all my goodies that went with it. A Ton of sabots, Hornady 50 cals for 44 caliber bullets. about 500 #11 caps. I think I shot 90 gr or so of pyrodex over some hornady XTP's 240's.

I loaded up some RCBS 250KT's that I had cast over 70 grs and let the kids shoot a few beer cans this afternoon.

How hot should I go with this thing? Reckon the hardcast would do Ok on deer? IIRC 100 gr was the max? I'd be willing to bet that the Pyrodex RS is more than the $7.99 a lb than I paid as marked on the can

docone31
12-30-2009, 08:14 PM
I do not know much about sabots, but in my Hawken wannabe, an Italian rifle, 50-60gns is a comfortable economic load. I like them around 70gns though.
I forget what my RS was, but it was not 7.99$ a can.

Baron von Trollwhack
12-30-2009, 10:00 PM
I helped a friend set one of those up when they sold in blister packs years ago. Lightly BP greased sabot sides, Hornady bulk lead 240 grain SWCs, 90 grains loose fffg GOEX = 1 1/2" @ 100 yards. The longest one shot deer kill so far has been 185 lasered yards on a NC adult doe. BvT

smoked turkey
12-30-2009, 11:44 PM
I have an old Knight Disk that I used to harvest a small buck. I use 75 grains(volume) of Pyro RS over a sabot/j-bullet. The buck didn't move out of his tracks at the shot. It was almost pure delight. However, what I wanted to do this year but didn't work out was use a 370 grain cast Maxi-ball(pure lead). From other posts here I have read that that is a deadly combination. Personally I much prefer taking game with boolits I have cast. Just makes the whole experience better for me. Costs less too.

10 ga
12-31-2009, 10:32 AM
Chaos, The equipment should be plenty good. Lube the sabots and find which load is accurate/shootable for the kid. 240 gr boolits are plenty. I have some caps that are 40+ years old and they still go bang every time the hammer falls. RS!! I saw some at Wally World on clearance last spring for $15 lb. with regular price about $22. My daughter, a slight 105 lbs., shoots 75 gr of FFF Swiss behind a 223 belted boolit or 270 maxi hunter and she can handle it just fine. For her the 270gr is strictly for hunting and shoots to the same POI as the 223 gr under 80 yds. For practice and plinkin try patched roundball pushed by 50 gr of RS. Should shoot OK to about 50 yds and very little recoil. Heavier charges with the fast twist and roundball will destroy any accuracy. With that 240 gr boolit accuracy is paramount. If you can hit your target then it will take deer out to 150 yds with 80+ grain charges with rib/lung type shots and under 80 yds will do the shoulder smash thing on deer sized game. Best o luck, 10 ga