PDA

View Full Version : Cross draw holster "Galco" information.

Changeling
12-30-2009, 06:01 PM
Hi guys. I had another post on holsters for "Ruger 45 " revolvers.

Before buying I thought it better to post again on what I thought was a nice holster but you never know and I trust your opinions more than some writer that just spills his jargon out to everyone. So what do you think?

Revolver is: 5.5 inch Ruger 45 LC in Stainless steel.

I have always used Bianchi with no problems, except a little small on the coverage on the upper part of the revolver. However this time I am intending to step out of the mold so to speak and go with a Holster maker called Galco. They seem to be very into what they are producing but who knows, I have no way of handling there product.
Specifically there model SAO 166. This is for the above Ruger as to length (5.5"). I want to wear it cross draw, that is without doubt!

Opinions or knowledge?

If anyone has any problems with this company now is the time to let me know, I would appreciate it!

NHlever
12-30-2009, 07:13 PM
I have little experience with Galco holsters, but I do know that Ruger sells them on their web site for the gun you have with the Ruger logo.

Changeling
12-31-2009, 05:17 PM
I have little experience with Galco holsters, but I do know that Ruger sells them on their web site for the gun you have with the Ruger logo.

I know nothing about them either but seeing them on the Ruger web site makes me feel better. I believe I will go with it very soon unless something pops up I haven't seen.
Thanks very much for the information.

NHlever
12-31-2009, 05:37 PM
I've been thinking about getting one for my Blackhawks too, that is how I knew that Ruger was selling them as a branded item.

Shooter30-06
12-31-2009, 06:01 PM
I have a Galco that fits both my 5.5 inch Super Blackhawk and 6 inch Blackhawk. The holster is first class in quality and fit. It is the only cross draw I have used which stays very snug against me and does not have a tendency to pull away during carry. I am very pleased.

Changeling
12-31-2009, 06:15 PM
I've been thinking about getting one for my Blackhawks too, that is how I knew that Ruger was selling them as a branded item.

This is a good link from there web site that gives one a better perspective, I am definitely a Bianchi fan, but I'm starting to really like this holster. Especially when one gets positive comments like from Shooter30-06 below. I see you are new, thanks for your input.

Link: http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterPG3.asp?ProductID=2644&GunID=425

This has been harder than buying a pair of shoes, but that seems very normal to me.

You will see lots of posts with my name hung on them, I'm not trying to Hog the forum just get everything straight so I can order all from one place and save on the shipping thats getting crammed down or throats. I hope you all understand.:roll:

9.3X62AL
12-31-2009, 06:42 PM
Changeling--

I am VERY happy with all the Galco products I've bought to date. I should note that none were specific to single-action revolvers, but their quality is first-rate.

LeMat
01-01-2010, 05:09 PM
If you're going to go with a Galco, I might suggest visiting Packin' Heat Leather. Whenever I want Bianchi or Galco, I go with this gentleman (he's a retired LTC and I like to support those kinds of folks ;) ).

Superb customer service, really good prices (I can't seem to find any cheaper on the internet) and pretty darn fast shipping. He often has closeouts and you can find some really good deals there. I just got a Bianchi #7 lined for a 5906 for $47.00.

http://store.packinheatleather.com/index.html

I had an S.A.O. that I sold some time ago, but use the D.A.O.'s for my 4" Redhawk and 586. I always carry crossdraw out in the woods and they work great for me.

Changeling
01-02-2010, 04:30 PM
Lemat, thank you for the link, I liked what you had to say about the man. I will definitely check him out.
Thank you.

Well Lemat, I went to his website "Packing Heat" and the price was OK, but unfortunately with his shipping he came up to one of the highest prices on the Internet, I'll go elsewhere!

Potsy
01-02-2010, 05:30 PM
I've got one of the Galco's off Ruger's website for my Bisley. I like it.
Only problem I had was the retaining screw fell out at some point. I called Galco and 3 days later I had 2 retaning screws and 2 rubber washers, no charge.
When I went to buy a holster for my Kimber, guess which brand I bought.

Changeling
01-02-2010, 05:39 PM
I've got one of the Galco's off Ruger's website for my Bisley. I like it.
Only problem I had was the retaining screw fell out at some point. I called Galco and 3 days later I had 2 retaning screws and 2 rubber washers, no charge.
When I went to buy a holster for my Kimber, guess which brand I bought.

Thanks Potsy, thats what a prospective buyer wants to hear. Service and honesty means a lot.

Changeling
01-05-2010, 05:23 PM
I think/hopefully that most people like to hear the outcome of a post. In this case I bought/ordered the Galco holster. When it comes i will give my thoughts on this item in case others are considering it.

Changeling
01-08-2010, 05:32 PM
I think/hopefully that most people like to hear the outcome of a post. In this case I bought/ordered the Galco holster. When it comes i will give my thoughts on this item in case others are considering it.

I like to keep my word.

I received the "Galco" holster today and all I can say is AWESOME! I have always been a Bianchi fan, but that just changed.

This holster is a genuine class act, it is that nice. It however is not "lined" but since my new Black Hawk 45 is Stainless steel I really don't care. If you live where you can give this holster a try, do it, if not DO IT. It's AWESOME!

I believe they are all over priced, but this one deserves a look, if you're looking. My honest opinion!

LeMat
01-08-2010, 09:51 PM
Let us know the vendor so we can save some $$$. :)

Changeling
01-09-2010, 03:56 PM
Let us know the vendor so we can save some $$$. :)

Not a problem. I bought it at Optics Planet on the Internet. The price was $67.20 shipping was free.

I also received an additional 5% off for a delivered total of $63.84 delivered.

You can get the additional 5% off by doing a search on Optics Planet coupons and getting the number.

If you want the "Packing Heat" price you'll have to look it up I didn't bother writing it down.
I think it was $67.20 + $11.?? shipping for a total of $78.??.

Good Luck.

BOOM BOOM
01-09-2010, 04:30 PM
HI,
I bought 1 of thier shoulder holseters, for my Ruger RH 71/2", back when they were called ******* Leather. Great holster, so comfortible I have even slep with it on several times.
Let us know about your new holster after a fied test or 2. As I might replace my Blackhawk holster

Changeling
01-09-2010, 07:04 PM
HI,
I bought 1 of thier shoulder holseters, for my Ruger RH 71/2", back when they were called ******* Leather. Great holster, so comfortible I have even slep with it on several times.
Let us know about your new holster after a fied test or 2. As I might replace my Blackhawk holster

Jaskass Leather (they got religion, good). I was going to sleep with mine last night but the dam thing "moans" to much, take me hunting,take me hunting, over and over, so I poured a shot of bourbon over it and it went back to sleep, dam cross draws, that's all they think about, LOL!

I'm afraid it will be a while before an actual field test, but I fully intend to do that. Buying something like this is a necessity but when you actually look at it, you wonder why in the heck it costs what it does, sign of the times I guess.
Don't equate that to me cutting corners, if I thought for a second it wouldn't cut it, back it would go in a flash! I do really like it.

freedom475
01-11-2010, 12:20 AM
I think Galco used to use Horse Hide leather to make there holsters??? Think that is where the ******* name came from. It is a Very dense leather and also very light weight (thin) lot more expensive too.. But worth it cause you get a rock-hard, long wearing product from the horse hide.

I think now they use cow hide, wet soaked in a stiffining agent (glue). Vacume moulded under heat to make them rigged. A lot of this was not nessasary with the horse hide.

Bullshop Junior
01-11-2010, 01:44 AM
I just made one for my 7.5 Ruger BH 45 Colt.

Changeling
01-11-2010, 02:50 PM
I think Galco used to use Horse Hide leather to make there holsters??? Think that is where the ******* name came from. It is a Very dense leather and also very light weight (thin) lot more expensive too.. But worth it cause you get a rock-hard, long wearing product from the horse hide.

I think now they use cow hide, wet soaked in a stiffining agent (glue). Vacume moulded under heat to make them rigged. A lot of this was not nessasary with the horse hide.

That was really interesting, I didn't know. I guess there is a lot more cow hides then horse hides in the market. Years a go there was a ring of horse thieves in Virginia that were selling them in the orient somewhere, might have been Japan because the price was so high for the horse meat. However I don't remember all the particulars.

Changeling
01-11-2010, 02:51 PM

Horse or cow, LOL.

DanWalker
01-11-2010, 08:24 PM
Got any pics?
I might be interested in one if you'd be willing to make and sell one.

JIMinPHX
01-11-2010, 09:40 PM
I have a fair amount of experience with Galco. I used to be real fond of them, back in the days when they kept one room of the factory open for sales direct to the public. I used to go up there & buy my holsters direct from them. The guys were a little snooty, but they sold a good product & they knew what they were talking about. It was kind of nice to be able to try one on & make sure that it was comfortable before buying it.

About 4 years ago, I went back up there to buy another one. I found that the factory showroom had been closed. The lady behind the front door intercom was rather short with me & couldn't even be bothered to give me the name or location of a local distributor. Eventually, when I did find a distributor, I ordered what I wanted. Then the waiting game began. We got lied to about delivery dates several times. In stock, turned into two weeks, then 2 more weeks, then 4 more weeks, then next Tuesday, then 6-12 weeks out, then any day now, then 6-12 weeks again, then 2 weeks later it showed up. That's about 6 months of horsing around for a product that they originally said they had in stock at their Phoenix location.

Their quality is good, but their customer relations is garbage. If you are not a LEO, they seem to think that you have no business owning their products. They are very elitist these days. I don't like the way they run that place these days at all.

If you find one of their holsters in stock somewhere & you like it, then it will probably serve you well. The several that I have are all keepers. I doubt that I'll be buying any new ones from them though. I think that the last one that I bought was made by a guy named Mitch Rosen. It is at least as good as the Galco & maybe a little more durable. The price was a little lower & I didn't get jerked around.

JIMinPHX
01-11-2010, 09:48 PM
A little history on Galco, from back in the OLD days...

The company was founded by a guy named Galiger, Richard Galiger I think. He originally ran a place out near Chicago called the ******* Leather company. This was back in the 60's & I think that he mostly made fringe jackets, hippy sandals & the like. Eventually he started also making custom holsters for some of the local PD. That later grew into Galco. Galco's big brush with fame came when they made the "******* rig" shoulder holster for Don Johnson to wear in his role on Miami Vice. I've seen the holster that Johnson actually wore. They used to have it hanging on the wall in the Phoenix shop, inside a glass case. It's probably still there.