View Full Version : Santa Dropped off a RCBS Trim Mate!

mtgrs737
12-30-2009, 12:55 PM
I have been thinking about getting RCBS Trim Mate to help with the labor intensive/boring job of processing brass for reloading. I missed my chance at one for a redicueless low price a few years back at one of my gun club swap meets. Well Santa has changed all that now and I am in the process of trying it out on some military 30-06 brass. I have installed a Lyman flash hole uniformer in one of the stations along with the military crimp remover and the inside/outside case mouth deburring tools and the primer pocket brush for the large rifle cases.

My question is: is there anything I should know about this machine or the care of this machine that is best not learned the hard way? Your advice is appreciated!:-)

Russ in WY
12-30-2009, 10:44 PM
Have the Trim Mate for Many Yrs. Great little Machine. The one thing I would say is after prolonged use mine seemed to get a lot of Gear Noise. I know the instruction say don't go inside. Well thats not gonna stop most of us Here for sure. Just have a nice catch basin/pad when you open it up. I cleaned out all the old lube & put it back together with some white grease that I had for lube. That was quite some time ago & it just keeps on working fine. The only tool that I replaced was the Primer Pocket uniformer, I use a solid carbide one from Sinclair, it is a precision piece of equipment, compared to the one with the Trim Mate. I use it in a separate operation/ Batt Drill. The one with the trim mate was cutting more material from the P/P then was actually needed. Perhaps the one you get from RCBS today are better. Just my experience. My 2¢ Russ.

Rick459
12-31-2009, 06:25 AM
Have the Trim Mate for Many Yrs. Great little Machine. The one thing I would say is after prolonged use mine seemed to get a lot of Gear Noise. I know the instruction say don't go inside. Well thats not gonna stop most of us Here for sure. Just have a nice catch basin/pad when you open it up. I cleaned out all the old lube & put it back together with some white grease that I had for lube. That was quite some time ago & it just keeps on working fine. The only tool that I replaced was the Primer Pocket uniformer, I use a solid carbide one from Sinclair, it is a precision piece of equipment, compared to the one with the Trim Mate. I use it in a separate operation/ Batt Drill. The one with the trim mate was cutting more material from the P/P then was actually needed. Perhaps the one you get from RCBS today are better. Just my experience. My 2¢ Russ.

theRCBS primer pocket uniformer is adjustable for pocket depth so is the one that Midway sells. so you can adjust them to not cut so deep you can use a set of calipers for this.
Rick

cheese1566
12-31-2009, 09:54 AM
Must have been good this year!!

I have looked at one for the last year. My modified drill is working OK, but only a single stage in operation. Not bad for 50 cases, but long for 300-400 runs. When I get the money for one I debate about a PID controller unit or a Trim Mate, then end up spending it on something else!

RCBS did have reconditioned units last fall for about $75, but none this early winter. I will probably order one froom Cabelas soon when they have the $20 off a $100 order and RCBS is having there $10 rebate promotion through 2010.

I did use my brand new RCBS primer pocket uniformer last night, lasted 35 cases doing 308 NATO after the pockets were swaged...the teeth broke off in one large chip. Odd! My small uniformed has already done about 800 cases with no trouble. Oh well, RCBS treats me good so off it goes in the mail today for a replacement.

Have fun with your Trim Mate and let us know how you like it!!!

Hardcast416taylor
12-31-2009, 12:40 PM
Got mine back in `03. It was getting a bit hard on my arthritis doing all the chores on brass after trimming and cleaning the primer pocket before loading. Makes me wonder why I waited so long getting this gem of a helper.Robert

mtgrs737
12-31-2009, 03:15 PM
Thanks for the replies, it sounds like good experiances with the machine. I did notice it is a little loud with the gear noise though, I may have a look at it and some synthetic grease after it has had a breakin period.