PDA

View Full Version : Casting Furnaces

6pt-sika
05-25-2006, 11:02 PM
At the moment I have a Lee Pro 4-20 and a Lee Production Pot IV . I use the 4-20 for melting WW's into ingots and I cast from the other pot using the bottom pour feature .

But........ I'm thinking of upgrading to a Lyman Mag 20 or a RCBS Pro Melt .
Give me some insight into the two furnaces please [smilie=1:

:castmine:

Marshal Kane
06-02-2006, 06:10 PM
I'm thinking of upgrading to a Lyman Mag 20 or a RCBS Pro Melt . Give me some insight into the two furnaces please [smilie=1: :castmine:Have both and have been casting with them for two years. Absolutely trouble free with either one. Would suggest a lead thermometer for both just to periodically confirm alloy temperature. The Mag20 definitely could do with one since the thermostat knob is graduated OFF-10. Found that on mine, 9.5 equates to 750 degrees F. The Pro Melt's thermostate knob is graduated in degrees F which is more convienent to read. Initial cost is more than the Lee however expect a longer lifespan with either the Mag 20 or Pro Melt. Would look for a good used one with little use on ebay if cost is a factor.

6pt-sika
06-08-2006, 07:54 AM
I can get the Lyman from Midway for $220 + $20 shipping . The RCBS is $280. Think if I do it I will go with the Lyman .
Yeah I was thinking of getting a thermometer as well . My local gunshop has a new one , someone ordered about 10 years ago and never picked up . I may see if they want to cut the price some just to get rid of it [smilie=1:

Marshal Kane
06-08-2006, 06:21 PM
Yeah, $220 is Cabela's price too. Don't know if their shipping is the same. The Lyman Mag 20 is a nice furnace, except for the way they calibrated the thermostat dial, it has a sturdier mold shelf than the RCBS and it also has a neat heating shelf attached to the rim of the pot to preheat your mold. I think you'll like it.

Shepherd2
06-09-2006, 10:54 AM
I used a Lyman Mould Master for about 35 years before it quit for good. I figured at my age I didn't need to pay $200 for another 35 year furnace. I bought a Lee Pro 4-20 and it worked OK for the money but it wasn't a Lyman by any means. A couple weeks ago I bought a used Lyman Mag 20 here on Cast Boolits and it's like going home again after a long absence. I knew I missed the Lyman.

The Lyman's thermostat graduations aren't a big deal to me. I always start out with the stat all the way up and back off when the mould gets hot.