PDA

View Full Version : Bullet selection for 1894SS & S&W 629's

Blazin
12-30-2009, 09:08 AM
I intend on purchasing a Marlin 1894SS (Ballard rifling) soon to complement my two other 44 Mag's, both S&W's 629's. The first 629, the newer one, has 0.429" cylinder throats (yup, I know, they're tight), while the older 629 has 0.4305" cylinder throats. I intend on using the 1894SS mostly for plinking out to 100 yards, but hunting also. The 629's are used for target work out to 50 yards, and get carried while tromping around the woods in case I bump into something that wants to eat me. I usually shoot 44 Specials and suspect the same will hold true for the 1894SS.

My philosophy is to tailor my bullet and load to the Marlin since the revolvers will feed anything, but in the end I'd like one load for all three guns. I already own a two-cavity RCBS 429-240-SIL mould that I have not used. I understand the Marlin's like 200-240 grain bullets and that's fine by me, I have no desire to shoot 300 grainers.

First question: Will the RCBS 240-SIL likely feed through the Marlin? If not, can you recommend a suitable bullet for my application that will feed?

Second question: For simplicity's sake can I size all bullets to 0.431" or 0.432"? I'd much rather have one 44 Spec load and one 44 Mag load for all three guns (I know this may be wishful thinking considering the tight throat on my newer 629, and no, I really don't want to get the cylinder throat reamed out).

Third question: In the event I do not have time to cast my own bullets, do you think the Dardas 200 grain round nose flat point bullet would be an ideal choice? The reason I'm looking at Dardas bullets is because I can order the diameter bullet I want.

Thanks,
Bill

Bass Ackward
12-30-2009, 09:40 AM
Bill,

I know that you are trying to get a head start here, but you ask questions that only the guns can answer. I have (had) tight and lose Smiths and just like everything else, you won't know until you try. What will your Marlin slug?

But target work with a single load for three individual guns just isn't likely to happen. Coarse that depends on your accuracy standard really. But it wouldn't happen for me.

A hunting load for all three isn't likely to happen. What each lever will feed remains a mystery only learned by it's owner. But the Silhouette load that has worked for decades might come the closest and that is 23 grains of 296 with a 240 grain bullet of your (guns) choice.

Plinking loads for all sure if your accuracy standards are not too high. Cause tweaking will always put a smile on your face.

Get a Lee-200-RF and have at it. Search function here works real well for loads. Feeds, small chunk of lead, PB for low cost, might not need to size at all, just works until your mind adjusts to reality and you realize that you will need more molds.

primersp
12-30-2009, 10:06 AM
the 44-240 sil feed well in the marlin but it's underzided, mine cast a 430 bullet good accuracy
with the smith but poor with the marlin

Range Gypsy
12-30-2009, 10:50 AM
I have a marlin in .44 mag it is micro groove but is very accurate for a lever gun. It is very forgiving when it comes to feeding as long as I get the overall length close to right. It will feed semi wadcutters as well as round nose .These are the bullets mine seems to like in order of accuracy. All are sized .430
44-240 semiwadcutter bevel base from Carroll bullets
220 gr semiwadcutter from ? mould at our club
RCBS 44-200 FN
Lyman 427666 200 FN
This is just my experience. Each of these bullets require a different load for best performance and every gun will be different.

Good Luck and have fun with it

~ Range Gypsy