PDA

View Full Version : getting started

illhunter
12-30-2009, 12:10 AM
what is the cheapest way to get started casting own bullets i know i need mold and what else and cheap have no money for equipment cause trying to get into reloading to so is there a way to get started cheaply. any help would be appreciated.

Bullshop
12-30-2009, 01:56 AM
Grasshopper, you must start at the beginning. Learn to walk before you try to run. First learn not just the simple procedure of reloading but develop and understanding of it.
When you are there then seek the wisdom of the brotherhood of the silver stream.
You will be SAFELY rewarded for your effort.
BIC/BS

cajun shooter
12-30-2009, 10:24 AM
The post by Bullshop is dead on!! You will be a much better reloader/caster if you follow his advice. Both of these require more than a simple purchase of equipment to become a person who knows what they are doing and how to do it safely. Buy your cast bullets for now. It will do you no good to know how to build a car if you can't drive.

docone31
12-30-2009, 10:45 AM
First, What caliber?
Second, what type of reloading do you plan on doing?
When I started, I got a Lee 10lb Bottom pour pot. I should have gotten a 20lb pot. Plain and simple.
Second, DO NOT MELT RAW LEAD, WHEEL WEIGHTS, ETC., in the pot you are going to pour from.
Third, Lee molds work! I started on them, and that is all I use. Inexpensive, and I get a lot of castings from them.
Depending on the caliber, sizeing is needed. Slug the barrel.
Make ingots before melting for casting, and MARK them! That is a mistake I made. Didn't mark the ingots. I just plain forgot what they were.
I started with the Lee Classic press. They have made it stronger over the years. I got a progressive, but I prefer my Classic.
Keep it simple, keep it clean, organized, and remember, casting takes heat!
It is not that complicated.
When I get my new Lee molds, I soak them in mineral spirits for two days. That really helps.
Good luck, and ask questions.

jlchucker
12-30-2009, 10:46 AM
Bullshop and Cajunshooter are spot-on! Read up on handloading, and after you've got an understanding of that, and have successfully tried it on a caliber or two, then read up on casting before buying any molds or other equipment. There's lots of stuff out there--and once you've found yourself and identified your own shooting needs first, you'll spend your money more wisely. There are lots of toys and tools out there--most of which you won't need. Good luck!

jerrold
12-30-2009, 11:11 AM
The posts have good advice but i don't agree with them completely. This site has enough good advice to keep you reading for months also there is BPCR. Learn what you will need, heat source, melt pot, dipper, mold, lead, etc., etc. and start looking for them in yard sales, metal recycle yards, E-bay, harbor Freight, etc. If you are a novice re loader i would strongly recommend a couple reloading manuals, i think Hornady has a very good section on the basics. older out of print will do on a budget. As you learn you can accumulate the the gear. IMHO casting boolets is not rocket science and it will not save any money but will increase he pride and pleasure in your reloads.:coffee:
1874 Sharps:castmine:

canebreaker
12-30-2009, 12:06 PM
You could go out and buy new, everything you need.
But watch fleemarkets/carport/estate sales, even the daily trash piles.
A turkey fryer, dutch oven, ingot mold and ladle can cost over 100.00 new.

A gravy ladle with an added wood handle works great.
small muffin or cornbread stick pans work great.
If your wanting a bottom pour pot, check different online sites.
Their prices can vary as much as 15.00 for the same pot.

BSkerj
12-30-2009, 12:21 PM
I just started reloading a year ago and casting about 4 months ago. Like you, I new at the time I wanted to do both but only could afford one at a time. So I stocked up on all reloading components, i.e. primers, brass, powder, and shot a few thousand of my own reloads. During this time I was out hitting garage sales, estate sales, pawn shops etc picking up casting equipment , some costed pennies on the dollar. I bought a Lyman bottom pour for 15.00, first set of Lee 2x molds for 9.95, cast iron smelting pot at a Goodwill for 5.00, anyway you get the idea. Half the fun was hunting for and picking up the equip. Then thru another forum was directed to this one and read everything I could on here. Check the for sale thread here and you can find a ton of stuff for a good price.
Also, this will give you plenty of time to stockpile the most basic material needed for casting..lead. Good luck and go slow. I have only been at it a year and cannot believe what I have aquired in that time ...in materials and most importantly in knowledge.

HORNET
12-30-2009, 01:50 PM
First thing I'd recommend would be to get AND READ the Lyman Reloading Manual, the regular one. It includes a basic section on casting as well as general reloading with jacketed and loading data for both. You can add the Cast Bullet Manual later after you've got a good grip on the basics. Also read the posts in the "Stickies and Classics" sections on here, especially the stuff on the Goatlips Casting Pages. Read a lot of the other posts as well, there's a TON of information on here and a few helpful people willing to add to the competition for wheelweight sources.