PDA

View Full Version : melting pure tin???

Marlin Hunter
12-29-2009, 11:39 PM
I bought some pure tin in 4 pound ingots. I need to make smaller ingots so I can mix it with lead in my 10 pound Lee pot. Maybe something the size of 1 oz fishing weights. I am afraid of using my Lee pot, because it might coat the inside with tin. Does anyone have any ideas to make the large ingot into smaller ingots? I don't want to use a hack saw. Does pure tin stick to stainless steel or aluminum.

docone31
12-29-2009, 11:49 PM
Marlin,
You will need flux to make the metal stick to anything.
If you put the tin in a cast iron pot on the stove, melt it, then use a dipper to pour it. With that small amount I might consider a small frying pan, or other shape and just ladle it in.
One ladle = One ingot.
Shouldn't take long, and the left over can be gathered in the melting pot and let cool down.

fredj338
12-29-2009, 11:58 PM
It's easier to weight the bar then use a SHarpie to divide it into useable wts. It melts pretty fast, just insert to the line & when it melts pull the bar out. CLose enough for bullet casting.[smilie=w:

Marlin Hunter
12-30-2009, 12:44 AM
It's easier to weight the bar then use a SHarpie to divide it into useable wts. It melts pretty fast, just insert to the line & when it melts pull the bar out. CLose enough for bullet casting.[smilie=w:

I might try that. But it's a thick bar and I have butter finger. With my luck, the bar would slip from my hand and splash lead all over me.

machinisttx
12-30-2009, 12:49 AM
If you have a propane torch, you can melt it into an ingot mold without any problems.

lwknight
12-30-2009, 01:01 AM
I melted my tin bars into 4 and 8 oz ingots. They did not try to stick to anything.
I just used the Lee 4-20 pot and even bottom poured it into the molds.
While I was at it , I cast a few tin boolits just for grins cause casting is fun.

Bullshop
12-30-2009, 02:02 AM
I use a bolt cutter.

runfiverun
12-30-2009, 07:56 PM
i just figure out how much i need for a pot full to make the percentage i need like 2% tin.
in a 100 lb pot thats 2 lbs in a 20 lb pot it's 5 times less.
or about 6 oz's i just figure out how many lbs of lead that equals out to. to put one lb in my pot with that much tin and melt it altogether.
or just melt it in the pot,and pour small ingots.

Kskybroom
12-30-2009, 08:02 PM
buy a sinker mold makes it easy....

Jim
12-30-2009, 08:07 PM
Physical properties
The most common allotrope of tin is a silver-white metallic-looking solid known as the β-form (or "beta-form"). Allotropes are forms of an element with different physical and chemical properties. This "white tin" has a melting point of 232°C (450°F), a boiling point of 2,260°C (4,100°F), and a density of 7.31 grams per cubic centimeter.

Read more: http://www.chemistryexplained.com/elements/T-Z/Tin.html#ixzz0bDiNniUr

kbstenberg
12-30-2009, 08:08 PM
Just a point of interest. Last summer i melted solder salvaged from a radiator shop. Usually they consider salvaged solder as 50/50. I poured the tin into the Lee mould for 1lb an half pound (we only used the half pound ingots) ingots. All of the ingots weighed between 3.5oz an 4oz. I hope you can use this.
Kevin

Marlin Hunter
12-30-2009, 11:35 PM
I took a propane torch and melted the TIN bar over a tub of water. The melted tin dropped into the water and gave me little tear drops that will be easier to weight, so I can mix the right percentage with my lead and antimony.

thanks for your ideas ;)

here are some bad pictures

http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2370/12829840/22827959/380407690.jpg

http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2370/12829840/22827959/380407688.jpg

lwknight
12-30-2009, 11:44 PM
Is this for real? I'm going to try it. I hope I don't end up feeling like a fool.
Did you have any surfactant or just water?

Update:
The pictures were decieving about the size because there was no reference point.
I waited till the wife went to bed then filled the sink with soapy water and proceded to
melt tin. Way coooool !! The little teardrops were about 1/4" dia or so and like 5/16 long.

Next time I will try it from a ladel. I tried that with lead in the past and just got a bunch of ugly splatters instead of shot that was my goal.

Marlin Hunter
12-31-2009, 12:04 AM
Is this for real? I'm going to try it. I hope I don't end up feeling like a fool.
Did you have any surfactant or just water?

Just tap water. I had some ice in it, but when the tin hit the ice it splattered flat. You can see some of the flat pieces in the container. Hold the tin bar (with vise grips) as close to the water as you can. Holding it higher up causes the tin to pop and look like popcorn. I held it about 1 inch over the water. Be careful with the torch. If you get to close to a plastic container, it will catch fire :mrgreen: . A metal bowl might be better. I cut the top off a 1 gallon milk jug and used the bottom half. Afterwards I put the tin pellets on a metal cookie sheet and stuck them in the over @ 250F for an hour to dry off. I don't want tinsel fairies to pay me an unexpected visit, but I still need to be careful if there is any trapped water in the tin drops.

I thought about doing the same thing with lead instead of just making ingots, so I could scoop a spoon full into the pot. It would be easier than putting square ingots into the pot.

docone31
12-31-2009, 12:05 AM
Water dropping is an effective way to make beads that can be weighed.
I do that with silver and gold to make a casting with.
After a fashion, you can control the pour so it makes consistant beads.
As an aside, I have taken wax and dripped it into water. Once I have found the right shape, I did an investment casting.
Makes an interesting piece.

lwknight
12-31-2009, 12:39 AM
Ladel pouring lead into water just don't work out. Thats why I was skeptical about the tin.
Evidently the tin is more coheisive and lighter. The lead just made strings or splatters, nothing in between. Thats probably why people pay over $400.00 for a littleton Shotmaker.

Marlin Hunter
12-31-2009, 01:28 AM
I just tried it with a 1/2 pound wheel weight Lee ingot. It didn't work as good as tin, but I did get some tear drops. I will take a picture and post it later (within 2 days). I think it will work with a little extra tweaking.

captain-03
12-31-2009, 01:41 AM
Water dropping from a torch -- what a cool idea!!

GLL
12-31-2009, 01:48 AM
I use a bolt cutter.

I use my garden pruning shears. Cuts tin bars like butter ! :)

Jerry

blackthunder
01-01-2010, 01:19 AM
Water dropping from a propain torch is a great idea... I just tried it and that is cool.
http://cid-2308fb8a476080e9.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/.Public/PICS%20058.jpg

Then put them in the oven.
http://cid-2308fb8a476080e9.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/.Public/PICS%20068.jpg

lwknight
01-01-2010, 01:40 AM
I'm always trying to 1 up everything. As I had good luck water dropping with a propane torch I tried to melt about a 1/2 pound in a ladel and pour it slowly into water. It did not work out at all. I had streamers and popcorns and splats and a few teardrops (of tin, not mine).
Evidently the torch method lets it run off at exactly melting temperature and it builds into a large drop before it falls.

Idahoshooter
01-06-2010, 03:59 AM
How about dropping lead into hot oil or boiling water...maybe less splatter?

SciFiJim
01-15-2010, 04:29 PM
While I was at it , I cast a few tin boolits just for grins cause casting is fun.

I have about 10# of solder cast into 1/2oz slugs using a 255gr boolit mold. You have to run the mold much cooler or it takes too long to solidify. The 1/2oz slugs are great for alloy sweetening.

Springfield
01-15-2010, 05:26 PM
Geez, last time I bought 20 rolls of solder I just tossed it all into the LEE pot and poured it into small ingot molds. Why make life difficult. But then I do up all my alloying BEFORE I cast, don't add tin directly to the pot.