PDA

View Full Version : Round ball loads in the 45-70

Cheshire Dave
12-29-2009, 11:34 PM
Bought a RB mould on the swapping forum a month or so ago. Got a chance to play with it today. I melted some Lyman moly lube mixed with candle wax in a tin can in a pan of water and poured it onto a couple of inches of water in a 5 gal bucket. This was supposed to give me a thin sheet of lube. It gave me a messy clump of stuff. It solidifided instantly. So I scratched my head and tried again. This time I poured the remelted lube into the small pan of hot water and let it cool. That worked great. You need a small enough pan that the lube can completely cover the surface the thickness you want. I ended up with a thin layer about .03 thick.
I cast out about 40 RB that miked .4585 out of WW. That was good, I was afraid they would be undersized. The first one I tried to be lazy and just popped the primer out of an unsized case and primed and loaded 5 grains of Tite Group.
I cut a cookie of lube from the sheet with the case mouth and seated the ball with my thumb. I pushed too hard and the ball fell into the unsized case.So I shoved it down onto the powder and shot it. Very mild report and hit 4" low at 15 yards.
Decided to do it right and sized some cases and expanded the mouths of the case so I could hand seat them below center line. Upped the charge to 7 grains Tite Group and gave them a crimp with My Lee crimping die. Moved the target out to 30 yards and the first 3 went into about 1 1/4 inches. Next I tried 7 grains or Universal Clays. Loaded 4 the first one was a squib and I had to check to make sure it got out the barrel,it did and the next 3 shot OK about 1 3/4 inch. Next I tried 7 grains of 700X . This was the load it really liked. The target was pretty shot up so I aimed at the nail in the corner. The 2nd shot took it out and all 3 were one big cloverleaf. About 3/4 center to center and dead on at 30 with the scope set for my hunting loads. Handed it over to my nephew and he blew the nail out of the other corner. He rubbed it in that it only took him one shot to do it.
My only concern is the wax lube cookie might melt into the powder in warm weather. Don't really want to use dacron filler because my main use for this is to plink out my shop door and I don't want to pick up the mess. I didn't chronograpth
any but they have a pretty sharp crack to them. I'm guessing 1300 or so. The balls weigh 137 grains from WW. Should be a good short range varmit load. We have some good size Nutria around here hope to try some out.
Next step is to try a double ball load. I'll let you all know how that works out.
Happy Holidays to all...

Bullshop
12-30-2009, 02:09 AM
I have some load data for a three ball load if you would like it.

stubshaft
12-30-2009, 03:33 AM
I use the Lee 456-2201r for the Ruger C&B. I prime the case, drop in 5gr of trailboss, put a lubed felt wad over the powder and seat the boolit on the powder. It is like a catsneeze load and quiet enough that I can hear the hammer hitting the firing pin. Oh, did I mention I was shooting it out of my 1895S.

dualsport
12-30-2009, 03:39 AM
I've shot that Lee in my 45-70 too. Accuracy wasn't too good. I never thought of dropping it down in the case, I'll try that. Thanks for the tip. I used to have Ruger #3 45-70, now just a H&R, but it shoots pretty good, murder at the bench with heavy loads.

joel0407
12-30-2009, 04:01 AM
.360 round balls in 45cal sabots. Loaded but yet to test.

94Doug
12-30-2009, 10:48 AM
I have a Guns Magazine article scanned where the author is loading a 458 Lott with various loads, including Black Powder...also ball loads, which he describes as the same as his 45-70 loads. He used liquid alox for lube. I would gladly email this to you if you would like.

Doug

Pepe Ray
12-30-2009, 12:52 PM
Doug--
You have a PM
Pepe Ray

Cheshire Dave
12-30-2009, 02:42 PM
Thanks 94Doug but I think you allready sent me that, we traded some brass or something awhile back and talked about the .458 Lott. Wish you hadn't I keep seeing Ruger #1's on Gunbroker..:kidding:Hey Stubshaft I will try more RB's pressed down on the powder.I started out trying to find a quiet load,but this one shoots so good don't know if I want to mess with moving my scope setting. Oh I forgot to say I'm shooting a 1895s also. The round ball loads feed from the magizine but I don't think I'd load more then one in the tube,not much keeping them from shoving into the case.

1Shirt
12-30-2009, 03:18 PM
For what ever it is worth, I have loaded single and multi round ball loads in just about every thing that has a rim from hornet, 30-30, 7.62x54R, 38S, 357,44S, 44Mag, 444, and 45-70, mostly because I could and it seemed right at the time. I rolled the balls in Lee mule snot, neck sized the bottle necked cases, and full length resized the straight walled cases. At 15 to 25 yds had more than reasonable accuracy with single ball loads with all of the ctgs tried. 2 ball loads in 38S and 44S stayed under 2" at 15 yds, and a bit over 3" at 25 yds. Three ball loads shot very well at 25 yds in 357,44M, 444 and 45-70 averaging right in the neighboorhood of 3". They start spreading out more than a bit after that and at 50 yds could not keep all three on paper. (Would be great 50 yd defense load however I think on a man size target). The best groupings were from my 444 (an early one) with micro gv, and they functioned well thru the rifle. I used unique for most of the loads as I remember for rifle. Have never shot anything with these loads other than paper, but think one of these days may try single ball 30-30 for rabbit or bushy tails. Have also messed with the little 38 wad cutter that weighs about 75 gr. for multi loads, but think I prefer the multi round ball loads for ease of loading, casting etc. Highly recommend you review of Beagle's article on multi ball loads, as it is well written and John is extremely dedicated to realistic testing before he puts pen to paper.
1Shirt!:coffee:

NickSS
12-30-2009, 04:43 PM
I shoot a lot of RB from my 45-70s both with black powder and smokeless. My favorite load is a RB lubed with LLA pressed down on top of 10 gr of Red dot. It shoots well in my 45-70s out to 35-40 yards and I have used it on varmints and game. In fact I carry a couple of them with me when hunting big game to take advantage of the odd grouse that wants to be my supper.

Jack Stanley
12-30-2009, 10:14 PM
I've used .314" diameter round balls in a three oh eight Winchester using light powder charges . I will bring a tree rat out of an oak in a right short hurry .

Jack

94Doug
12-31-2009, 01:21 AM
....yes, it's all coming back to me now.

Doug

WHITETAIL
01-01-2010, 11:04 AM
:idea:There you go again guys.
Got the one cell working again.
Now I have to try the RB in the 45-70
Cowboy.
Just to say I've tryed it.:groner:

StrawHat
01-02-2010, 08:18 AM
For what ever it is worth, I have loaded single and multi round ball loads in just about every thing that has a rim from hornet, 30-30, 7.62x54R, 38S, 357,44S, 44Mag, 444, and 45-70,

Intrigued with your load for the Hornet, Can you give further details please, either in a PM or seperate thread so as not to bore the folks interested in the big bore cartridges. I load a 22 pellet over a primer with good results. Where did you find a 22 RB mold?:kidding:

Thanks