PDA

View Full Version : Handcannon killed another scope!

stubshaft
12-29-2009, 08:08 PM
Three mnonths ago I sent a Weaver 2X back because it had lost parrallax after 440 or so rounds out of my 500 S&W (it was 2 months old). They sent me a replacement (rather than repairing the old scope) which I mounted back onto my MGM barrel. Took it to the range with some "midrange" loads (400grRCBS HP/PB @ 1400fps). It took only 43 rounds for the scope to give up the ghost.

I called Weaver and they said they would "repair it again under warranty but they would not pay for postage for me to return it to them". I guess that I will send it back after the first of the year as the PO is still too full of people sending Christmas items.

It should only take them 4 to 6 weeks to get it back to me as they (Weaver scope repair) are only open one day of the week.

Luckily I use Leupolds for my really big guns!

Frank
12-31-2009, 12:50 PM
Leupold 4X for my BFR.

Groo
12-31-2009, 01:08 PM
Groo here
The thing that usually kills scopes on handguns is the lack of support,
this is why SSK usually puts 4 rings on the Handcannons.
The ends of the scope bend down under recoil and mess with the inners!!!
Can you put more or wider rings on ,or move them out toward the ends as far as possible

stubshaft
12-31-2009, 02:35 PM
It is mounted in an MGM steel base with 3 rings. I don't dispute what you are saying Groo but to die within 43 rounds of midrange loads is a product issue.