PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting the crimp strength on big bore handguns.

Changeling
12-29-2009, 05:32 PM
I read an article from a competition shooting guy (Know nothing about) that stated he polished the seating die so it didn't size for the bullet to get the tightest grip he could ( he did a slight bell). I do know I want a really good crimp on my cases because I have heard to many people talk about increased/consistent accuracy this way.

I can't find the article right now (I printed it) but will and post the link. It was interesting and the guy had shot for a long long time (competition).

runfiverun
12-29-2009, 06:32 PM
if you just wanna flare the case quite often a 44 wil flare a 45 a a 32 will flare a 35.
i use a 30 carbine to just flare the case mouth on my 25-20.
with cast you need to be careful that your tight case isn't sizing down your boolits causing them to be too small for the bbl.

yondering
12-29-2009, 07:12 PM
with cast you need to be careful that your tight case isn't sizing down your boolits causing them to be too small for the bbl.

This is true. Same goes for the crimp; too much crimp with soft boolits can size them down. More crimp is not necessarily better! I've backed way off on my crimps lately, after experimenting with fired and unfired (bullet puller) cast boolits.

stubshaft
12-29-2009, 08:11 PM
I shoot alot of Encores and Contenders and do not see a big difference in accuracy between crimped and not crimped ammo. Truth be told, I usually get better accurcy without a crimp.

Changeling
12-30-2009, 03:21 PM
This is the link I was referring to:

www.lasc.us/rossloadingthe44magnum.htm

anachronism
12-30-2009, 06:09 PM
He's talking about polishing the expander ball, not the crimp die.

Frank
12-30-2009, 06:48 PM
Compared to wind, grip, bag pressure, let alone seeing the target at 100 yds, die variation is minor. For example, the difference between RCBS and Hornady F/L dies on my 350 boolit. The RCBS squeezes alittle more and further down the case. No difference. They both were the top two holes. But how you hold a handgun and the effect of wind on a slow flat nose will make the holes where you see tape. Using a wind meter and good hold I was able to walk them in.
BFR 100 yds 5 shots
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/picture.php?albumid=123&pictureid=1728

Changeling
12-30-2009, 07:02 PM
Compared to wind, grip, bag pressure, let alone seeing the target at 100 yds, die variation is minor. For example, the difference between RCBS and Hornady F/L dies on my 350 boolit. The RCBS squeezes alittle more and further down the case. No difference. They both were the top two holes. But how you hold a handgun and the effect of wind on a slow flat nose will make the holes where you see tape. Using a wind meter and good hold I was able to walk them in.
BFR 100 yds 5 shots
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/picture.php?albumid=123&pictureid=1728

Frank I agree that it may be small or not in handguns. However I would rather remove all possibilities of there being a mechanical dispersion for some reason, then I only have to worry about my shaky backside, or is that the for side for better accuracy.

Frank
12-30-2009, 07:18 PM
Well how are you going to know that you made a small gain when there maybe huge losses happening all the time. You might be fooled in thinking when the shot is off, "It was the crimp", or "I didn't polish the dies."

Changeling
12-31-2009, 06:00 PM
Well how are you going to know that you made a small gain when there maybe huge losses happening all the time. You might be fooled in thinking when the shot is off, "It was the crimp", or "I didn't polish the dies."

Thats what I'm getting at Frank (not arguing), why not eliminate all the little variables that are reasonable to correct, then you can work on the things of a major magnitude.

Die variables in competition/varmint rifle shooting can mean a heck of a lot on it's own, trust me! I know that attaining nirvana with a revolver has more problems associated with it then rifles, but they both have the same problems as it relates to the small and the large things associated with accuracy.

I'm just going to eliminate/try the known variables as best I can. That was the reason for posting about what Mr. Ross (www.lasc.us/rossloadingthe44magnum.htm) had to say. I don't know him at all, just came across his thread and was interested in what he had to say.

BOOM BOOM
12-31-2009, 11:24 PM
HI,
Thanks for posting it I printed it off for future reference. Also though the article on lubes was a good one.

44man
01-01-2010, 10:21 AM
This is the link I was referring to:

www.lasc.us/rossloadingthe44magnum.htm (http://www.lasc.us/rossloadingthe44magnum.htm)
Why it looks like he has been reading my posts! :bigsmyl2:
However there are just a few points I disagree with.