PDA

View Full Version : Rifle shooting bench

Willbird
12-29-2009, 05:26 PM
This bench needs a few more finishing touches, basically a few more gussets here and there to stiffen it up, but it is pretty well fleshed out. The top is 48 inches long front to back, 36 inches wide at the front, and it is 34" from the top to the ground.

The top is made from 3/4" treated plywood.

http://www.cornbread.com/~willbird/riflebench.jpg

that chair was in place for height check purposes only :-).

I kind of got some ideas from this bench here......hopefully I am not handicapped because mine is only 48" long not 54" like his is.

http://www.horstguns.com/ShootingBench.htm

I framed mine like he did his....but I added the angles to the legs, a compound miter saw makes you want to put angled legs on EVERYTHING :-)>

Bill

Dutchman
12-29-2009, 09:15 PM
Instead of wood gussets try steel L-brackets. There are also some deck-type heavy galvanized L-supports cheap at Home Depot.

I''ve spent quite a bit of time on the subject of shooting benches, moreso portable shooting benches. Yours is darn nice for a fixed position bench. Better than the last one I built.

Dutch

legend
12-30-2009, 04:39 AM
BOTH are better than i could build,but,now that i see how they look i might build one.....

thank you both!!

Idaho Sharpshooter
12-30-2009, 05:15 AM
Now I know what my first project of 2010 is going to be.

Thanks,

Rich

cheese1566
12-30-2009, 10:13 AM
Nice job!!!

Not to criticize, but if it were me, I would add some fixed casters to the rear legs. Not so they touch the ground when resting, but at an angle so that when yoo lift the front, the wheels hit the ground. You can then easily roll it around. Or you could use a straight axle and lawnmower wheels. Just make sure they don't touch the ground when resting, and not too high so you have to He-man the rest over your head to engage. I did the same thing on my tablesaw and other shop tools in the garage to bring them outside.

Fantastic work!!! Saved to my files for a future project. One would ride nice in the back of a pickup for prairie dog towns!

Flinchrock
01-01-2010, 08:41 AM
Just curious, why the T shape, rather than an L shape??
Angled legs definitly more stable!