PDA

View Full Version : rayl barrel's and underhammer frames

buckweet
12-29-2009, 05:11 PM
ok... im on the pathway to building a underhammer,

so far, just about all the parts i've ordered, is backordered.

ordered a action from mark, at fire and steel, and a 34''- .62 caliber 1:72 barrel from ed rayl.

so looks like, be somewheres around early spring before i can even get it together, but should be a fun project.

also ? looking for a MULE EAR sidelock, for my lyman .50 trade rifle.. any leads ? pioneer arm is out, dont know where else to look.

Charlie Sometimes
12-29-2009, 05:32 PM
Saw some mule ear SHOTGUN sidelocks on E-blah the other day.
You could watch there- always seems to be locks of various kind showing up lately.

Do you have Ed Rayl's contact info & address?
I've been wanting to talk with him.
I haven't been to his shop since I was a teenager!
I don't live real far from him- if he hasn't left the country.

Send me a PM if you do.

buckweet
12-29-2009, 07:00 PM
he's still there, sent ya PM

Charlie Sometimes
12-29-2009, 09:14 PM
What is that 62 caliber gonna be across the flats?
Sounds heavy.
I loved the one I had years ago- H&A 45 caliber.
Never should have traded it off.

Ed might be only about 40 miles from me, tops.

ddeaton
12-29-2009, 11:16 PM
buckweet, do you have your wood already? I help out Virge Otto at Gunstocks Plus. We have our own sawmill and some real pretty blanks.

buckweet
12-30-2009, 12:46 AM
What is that 62 caliber gonna be across the flats?
Sounds heavy.
I loved the one I had years ago- H&A 45 caliber.
Never should have traded it off.

Ed might be only about 40 miles from me, tops.

charlie.. the .62 will be 1'' . ed thinks sh'll come in around 8 pounds. ? maybe a tad less/

think about it ? big hole, less weight, might kick like a mule, but ? maybe not.

buckweet
12-30-2009, 12:49 AM
buckweet, do you have your wood already? I help out Virge Otto at Gunstocks Plus. We have our own sawmill and some real pretty blanks.

no wood yet, but ? i have a sawmill too. an old, 48'' cutt bandsaw, the amish built for me. cutts a 16' x 48'' log, pretty sweet.
now if i could just find some energy to run it..ha. course the lumber markett is ''flat''

Idaho Sharpshooter
12-30-2009, 05:11 AM
Ed's a pretty neat old guy. He's making me a ten gauge barrel. Four months is all he ever says...

Rich

northmn
12-30-2009, 08:19 AM
The 62 is a pretty awesome rifle. ball weighs in at 325 grains or better depending on the mold. Most use a 615 ball which is a 350 grain ball. You need over 100 grains of powder to get things going and not have the trajectory of a thrown rock. I would stongly suggest that you use a very wide shotgun styled buttplate on your project, 2" or so, and forget about those pretty curved ones. I have an Ed RAyle .25 that I love as a squirrel gun. Putting the final finish onn it this winter as I used it in the rough.

Northmn

ddeaton
12-30-2009, 10:26 AM
no wood yet, but ? i have a sawmill too. an old, 48'' cutt bandsaw, the amish built for me. cutts a 16'' x 48 log, pretty sweet.
now if i could just find some energy to run it..ha. course the lumber markett is ''flat''

I know about the energy. Its too darn cold for me to get out there on it now also. We still have to make sliding doors for the shed we built for it.

ddeaton
12-30-2009, 10:34 AM
Here is one of Rayl's barrels

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l86/ddeaton2/IMG_1877.jpg

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l86/ddeaton2/IMG_1879.jpg

1" rifled British wall gun

John Taylor
12-30-2009, 11:40 AM
Almost forgot that I have an 82 cal. (20MM )barrel sitting in the shop collecting dust. Was thinking of putting a big old flint lock ( Flinch lock ) on it but I have never been to good with a flinter. May just have to make an under hammer frame for it. Got to many projects sitting there now while I try to get work out to pay the bills. There's the start of a harmonic rifle that has been sitting on the bench for more than a few months. My 62 under hammer which has been used in competition many years back has never been polished and finished, still has a wad of paper under the rear sight to elevate it. I guess it's like the cobblers kids going without shoes, a gunsmiths rifle is never finished.
The draw back on the 82 barrel is that it has gain twist rifling ending at about 1 in 15". Might make a good slug gun or light loads with a round ball.

Boz330
12-30-2009, 12:44 PM
John, it's not just gunsmiths. This has been under construction for several years. I've hunted 2 deer seasons with it like this. 58cal Hawken with a Sharon barrel. 72 twist barrel and it shoots REALs, RBs and Minnies all the same and to the same POI.
I've also got 2 partially finished Small Frame Martinis under construction and a Rolling Block on the way to stock as well in 1 1/2 weeks. You'd think that as bad as my business is I would catch up on some this stuff.

Bob

buckweet
12-30-2009, 03:22 PM
Almost forgot that I have an 82 cal. (20MM )barrel sitting in the shop collecting dust. Was thinking of putting a big old flint lock ( Flinch lock ) on it but I have never been to good with a flinter. May just have to make an under hammer frame for it. Got to many projects sitting there now while I try to get work out to pay the bills. There's the start of a harmonic rifle that has been sitting on the bench for more than a few months. My 62 under hammer which has been used in competition many years back has never been polished and finished, still has a wad of paper under the rear sight to elevate it. I guess it's like the cobblers kids going without shoes, a gunsmiths rifle is never finished.
The draw back on the 82 barrel is that it has gain twist rifling ending at about 1 in 15". Might make a good slug gun or light loads with a round ball.

''cobblers kids'' roflmao !!! good one.. !

Charlie Sometimes
12-30-2009, 05:46 PM
Boz330- That's a nice lookin' rifle- Git 'r finished!

ddeaton- are those Wall Guns also called Punt Guns?
That thing looks like a monster!

buckweet
12-31-2009, 01:11 AM
dont they pin those monsters on the gunwhale of a boat ?

northmn
12-31-2009, 08:28 AM
A wall gun was used in combat and mounted on the wall or ramparts and used for long range shooting. They were large bores, had the mounts for steadiness. Note he stated it is a 1" rifled gun (a 4 gauge). Punt guns were generally pretty crude in comparison and were of course smooth bore. They were yesterday's version of todays 50 BMG made in bolt actions. They also used smaller bore canons in the Great Lakes on the York boats of about 1" bore or so. They were designed to deter those that attacked in birchbark canoes.

Northmn

waksupi
12-31-2009, 12:22 PM
A wall gun was used in combat and mounted on the wall or ramparts and used for long range shooting. They were large bores, had the mounts for steadiness. Note he stated it is a 1" rifled gun (a 4 gauge). Punt guns were generally pretty crude in comparison and were of course smooth bore. They were yesterday's version of todays 50 BMG made in bolt actions. They also used smaller bore canons in the Great Lakes on the York boats of about 1" bore or so. They were designed to deter those that attacked in birchbark canoes.

Northmn

I imagine those bow guns would have been pretty wicked on the canoes. A round ball skips forever on the water, and you would have an excellent chance of a hit.

buckweet
12-31-2009, 03:04 PM
a round ball skips ... ?

docone31
12-31-2009, 03:28 PM
It has no edge to catch. With the correct angle, and speed, it will skip like no tomorrow.

357maximum
12-31-2009, 03:55 PM
a round ball skips ... ?

Not a waterfowler I presume.

I have seen shot used to bust a cripple go well over 400 yards just a skippin along....and that is steel.....tungsten goes even further.....be careful in the marsh.

Want to see something neat....go out to a huge field that is all fit and planted and dry and dusty on top. Level a load of 00 buck to hit about 100 yards.....you will have pellets bouncing and hitting at 45 degrees in both directions out to 800 yards or so.......if it had enough energy I think it would circle back and getcha. :? A foster slug will do even wierder things...and yet my state thinks the shotgun is safer than a rifle in the southern zone................fools.

buckweet
01-01-2010, 09:12 PM
well i've seen pellets bounce when the snow geese are on the ground.

i was thinking round ball. rifle. on water.

northmn
01-02-2010, 12:46 PM
The bow guns used on York boats also used musket ball shot as well as a solid slug.They may have also been loaded with more imaginative stuff.

Northmn

buckweet
01-03-2010, 04:23 PM
The bow guns used on York boats also used musket ball shot as well as a solid slug.They may have also been loaded with more imaginative stuff.

Northmn

nail's, glass. spoons, fork's....= ouch

ddeaton
01-04-2010, 10:57 AM
These were designed to sit on ships rails or fort walls. It weighs somewhere between 30 and 40 lbs, I havent weighed it yet. Back then they were used to knock wheels off cannon and such at a good distance. I havent shot it yet, but will this summer. This is a copy of the British version, just a scaled up Brown Bess with a rifled bore. We had them on our side also during the rev war.

reivertom
01-07-2010, 03:48 PM
He's an outfit that makes them, but don't have any it says until "mid winter"

http://pioneerarms.com/mule_ear_lock.html

buckweet
01-07-2010, 10:29 PM
He's an outfit that makes them, but don't have any it says until "mid winter"

http://pioneerarms.com/mule_ear_lock.html

thanks, i'll keep calling them.