PDA

View Full Version : Solicitation for M600 opinions

Marlin Junky
12-29-2009, 05:00 PM
I would like to hear from some who have experience with the Remington M600. Are these things nothing but early Model 7's (referring to just the actions) with crooked bolt handles? And what is up with those bolt handles anyway? Was there a reason for that crazy geometry, or was Remington just thinking about marketing when they designed those bolt handles. I was definitely born before the M600 but they never interested me until just recently when I was offered one in .35 Remington (with a 22" Shilen barrel) for 600 bucks. Could it be worth it? I'm going to see it for the first time this Friday and try to shoot a few rounds through it that I made up for my 336A. I probably won't know until Friday if it has a 14" or 16" twist. I've been told the barrel "mikes" 0.630" at the muzzle, which sounds a bit light to me. What did the gunsmith do, fit a new .35 caliber barrel to a barrel channel designed for the .223?

Thank you for the input,
MJ

pdawg_shooter
12-29-2009, 05:03 PM
JMO, but I think $600 is way high for a M600.

Marlin Junky
12-29-2009, 05:42 PM
JMO, but I think $600 is way high for a M600.

FWIW, a Model 600 with a 22" stainless Shilen barrel.

BTW pdawg_shooter, do you like 'em, hate 'em, or what?

MJ

NuJudge
12-29-2009, 06:04 PM
I've been shooting Remington Model 600 rifles since about 1980. The two I've owned have been in .308. They are quite light and handy. They shoot well. The bend in the bolt handle was an effort to put it closer to the trigger, which might speed up working the bolt. I am not aware of them being made in .35 Remington, but I suppose a gunsmith may have altered one to that caliber. Then again, it may be a .350, which has a cult following.

My father has one in .308 and in .350. I believe he's put it in his Will that he wants to be buried with the .350. In all the years he's had it, I've never fired the .350. The recoil in such a light rifle must be heroic. That much muzzle energy in that small a package is what my father loves in it. The rifle is ideal for someone who is going to carry a lot, and shoot a little, and wants to make a powerful impression when he does.

CDD

12-29-2009, 06:12 PM
Have owned two. Still have one in 222. Basic no-frills short/small action. Don't know about the bolt handle history but I think they have common ancestry with the Rem Fireball handgun. The original stocks in some were miserable, warping, hacked down 2X4s :). The other downside was the plastic trigger guard/floorplate. The last PITB is the hidden bolt stop release.

Now having said all that, if the one you are looking at has a Shilen that was mounted to the receiver correctly, chamber reamed correctly and bore taken care of- then yes 600 is ok. I'd prefer a little beefier barrel contour but that's just me.

If this gun still has original parts....the bottom plastic can be changed out for metal and better stocks are available. I changed the bottom to metal and I used a Rem short M700 stock to uprade. There are aftermarket bolt stop release levers for that little design uh oh or you can dedicate a small angled flat dealeo or small screwdriver for the task.

Do I like the M600/660?.... yes mine have always been excellent little rifles/actions.

oneokie
12-29-2009, 06:17 PM
The 600, 660, and XP100 all used the same action with the doglegged bolt handle. Similar bolt handle was on the Model 1917. Rem is using same bolt handle on one of their newer production rifles.

Have shot a 600 chambered in 243 and liked it. IMO, the placement of the bolt handle knob makes it faster to work the bolt for follow up shots.

Blammer
12-29-2009, 06:19 PM
I have a M600, in 6mmRem 18" brl. I like it! I'd get another one.

Hidden bolt release? WHERE ! I've been looking for it for umpteen years and can't find it!

Marlin Junky
12-29-2009, 06:24 PM
What if it started out as a .308? Would the bolt face be too sloppy for the .35 Rem?

If the bolt handle was designed to be closer to the trigger than say on a 722, can I expect to get rapped on the knuckles with heavy loads?

MJ

243winxb
12-29-2009, 06:31 PM
Owned 308, 243 & Xp100 fireball, shot 6.5 rem mag. Great Firearms. Check for trigger replacement. OLD DATA
Remington Model 600 & 660
If you own a Remington Model 600 (including the Mohawk 600) or Model 660 rifle:
All Remington Model 600 and Model 660 rifles were manufactured with a bolt-lock mechanism and are subject to this bolt-lock Safety Modification Program. These models were discontinued in 1979. Please see Important Safety Notice regarding the 1979 recall below. If you participate in the current Safety Modification Program, your firearm will be cleaned and inspected for proper functioning by a qualified gunsmith. Once the condition of your firearm has been assessed, you will be notified of one of the following:

Your rifle’s trigger assembly is otherwise in good operating condition and the gunsmith will proceed to physically remove the bolt-lock feature so that your firearm can be loaded and unloaded while the safety remains in the “S” or “On Safe” position; or

Your rifle’s trigger assembly is found to be in an unsatisfactory or potentially unsafe operating condition because of any number of factors, including wear, alteration or maintenance. The entire trigger assembly will be replaced with a new factory trigger assembly, which does not incorporate a bolt-lock mechanism.

The cost, if any, to you for participating in the bolt-lock Safety Modification Program will depend upon whether your Model 600 or 660 rifle was previously repaired under a 1979 recall program.

IMPORTANT SAFETY NOTICE:
In 1979, Remington instituted a recall for Model 600 and 660 rifles made before February, 1975, because, under certain circumstances, the safety and trigger could be manipulated in a way that could result in an accidental discharge. Under the 1979 recall program, owners of the affected rifles could return their guns for installation of a new trigger assembly at no charge. Since 1979, thousands of the affected firearms have been serviced under the 1979 recall and received new trigger assemblies.

How can you tell if your Model 600 or 660 rifle was subject to the 1979 recall, and whether it was repaired as part of that program?

Model 600 and 660 rifles - except those with a serial number beginning with an "A" before the serial number - were subject to the 1979 recall.

Each Model 600 and 660 rifles repaired under the 1979 recall has a “V” (approximately 1/4 inch high) stamped on the left side of the trigger below the receiver line. These replacement trigger assemblies included the bolt-lock feature.

If you own a Model 600 or 660 rifle that was subject to the 1979 recall, does the current bolt-lock Safety Modification Program affect you?
• f your Model 600 or 660 rifle was subject to the 1979 recall but was never repaired as part of that recall, then a new trigger assembly without a bolt-lock feature will be installed. This change will be made at no cost to you.

• If your Model 600 or 660 rifle was repaired as part of the 1979 recall, or it was not subject to the 1979 recall, you may have the bolt-lock removed at a cost of $20, plus shipping and handling, plus tax. You will also receive a safety redemption certificate to complete and submit in order to receive a free blaze orange hat (one hat per certificate).

How to participate in the Safety Modification Program

1. Complete the General Repair Form and
2. Send or deliver your firearm and the completed repair form to either:
a) A Remington Authorized Repair Center; or
b) Ship your firearm to the Remington factory at:

Remington Arms Company, Inc.
Ilion Firearms Plant
Attention: BL Safety Program
14 Hoefler Avenue
Ilion, NY 13357

Remington will bill or arrange for payment once your firearm is received and evaluated.

johniv
12-29-2009, 06:32 PM
I have one in 308 cal. I have rifles that interest me more, and calibers that I like more ,but, if I had to keep only one CF rifle , the mod 600 would be it. Light , handy,accurate, ( mine is a 1.25/1.50 " rifle but on a good day, with my old eyes and a good load, it has turned in more than one sub 1.00" group) I have had this rifle for about 30 years and it always delivers the goods, doesent change POI. I took this rifle to Gunsite in the 80's and dident embarass my self. In retrospect mebby I DONT have rifles or calibers that interest me more?! FWIW
John

243winxb
12-29-2009, 06:34 PM
Hidden bolt release? Its on the left back side of the bolt raceway between the bold & action. Stick a thin screw driver in, push down, pull bolt out.

sagamore-one
12-29-2009, 06:38 PM
Hi Guy, I have a little experience with the 600 series .
I had a 600 built into a first generation scout in 1981 by Mr. Fred Sinclair. Total weight with a side mount K-4 Weaver is 6 1/2 lbs. Barrel is a take off 700 , in 308,squared, trued , and cut to 16 inches. The stock is a McMillan hollow glass unit. The dogleg bolt does help cycle the bolt quicker, much quicker when using the finger flick method. I have over 3500 rounds through this little beast and can still hold eyeball shots at 100 yards on an IPSC target. In 1982 Col Cooper awarded me " Meisterschuetzen mit Kopfen Jaeger " with this rifle.
Remington 600's can shoot.
The factory trigger group was recalled by Remington to upgrade to a more positive safely manipulated trigger/ safety assembly. I have never had a problem with the trigger. None of my 600's have the retrofit.
Remington offered this series in several chamberings, including 35 Rem.
As for prices...... If it shoots..... $350 in any caliber, any condition. I recently paid 400 for non functional 243. It took 3 minutes to fix it. A clean 600 in 35 Rem may be worth 600 with a Shilen barrel.
Take a look at your anticipated new rifle, throw it to your schoulder, cycle the bolt. You will either love it or leave it.
I just happen to love them.

oso
12-29-2009, 06:48 PM
What if it started out as a .308? Would the bolt face be too sloppy for the .35 Rem?

If the bolt handle was designed to be closer to the trigger than say on a 722, can I expect to get rapped on the knuckles with heavy loads?

MJ

The flattened bolt knob does have an edge and I've heard of cuts from same. Had a substantial rosewood stock for my wife but she prefers the light original stock. No complaints here with our cast booit loads.

JesterGrin_1
12-29-2009, 07:01 PM
I have 2 MoHawk 600's both in .243 and they are both TAC drivers. It was my first hunting rifle and still use it for Coyote and other such game. They are short and very handy and very accurate. Even some SWAT teams back in the day used them for sniper rifles. So they can not be all that bad. :)

But you can look at it this way. Say a M600 is in nice shape then you would expect to pay around 400.oo then if you were to purchase a Shilen barrel for it then you are looking at another 3 to 400.oo plus a 10 to 14th month wait and then the cost to have it fit to the rifle.

So if you like the rifle and the work was done correctly you are money ahead if that is the type of rifle you wish to use.

I may be saying things more than once but lol. This is not a factory rifle which means the worth of the rifle is dependant on what the purchaser wants.

If you wish to have a short handy accurate rifle in 35 Rem without doing the work yourself or having it done then it is a good deal.

As like Blammer here I am also going to change my Marlin XL-7 in 30-06 to a Stainless barrel in 35 Whelen AI of which with the cost of the rifle plus the barrel is going to run me about $500.oo to $600.00 when all is said and done. But that is what I wish to have. Now if I could purchase the same gun for $450.oo with all the work already done then I would get what I wish to have and save some coin and time by doing so.

Marlin Junky
12-29-2009, 07:16 PM
Thanks to all those that replied... I'll need to go back and read the recall notice later.

It definitely comes down to... "if the work was done correctly".

I am somewhat concerned about the difference in rim diameter between the .308 family and the .35R though and feed rail geometry (.35R is way more tapered than the .243/.308). Perhaps the rifle started out as a .35 ??
What I'm really looking for is something light and handy to drive .360-220 into the 2300 fps neighborhood... oh yeah, that 14" twist (I'll measure it Friday) might be a problem.

Thanks again,
MJ

NHlever
12-29-2009, 07:29 PM
It could have been a .35 Rem originally, and had the barrel "upgraded" ? I would like a .35 Rem bolt gun, and have the reamers, but I've found extraction to be sloppy, and feeding to be an issue with most actions I've tried dummies in. I would take a couple of dummies with you when you go to look at it.

JesterGrin_1
12-29-2009, 07:31 PM
Are you sure it is 35 Rem and not 358 Winchester?

As the 308 and the 358W have the same rim size of .473 and the same case size of .454 Where as the 35 Rem has a rim size of .460 and a case size of .4259.

RU shooter
12-29-2009, 07:52 PM
I do have one in the original 35 rem. and yes a 308 will fit the bolt face of it I have never tried to cycle a 308 rd through the action though. All I can say about mine is it has killed a pile of deer over the years and is just as accurate as any model 700 or 7 in 308 that I have owned, 1-1.5 moa are the norm for 5 rds. and you can load it up quite a bit over lever gun data . I started hunting with this little carbine when I was 11 yrs old and the odd bolt handle is second nature at this point.It grows on you quickly and is actually quite fast to work. 600.00 seems a bit high though ,If it was in original dress in 35 it would be worth that easily as the 35 wasnt made in large numbers as the other calibers I believe only the 223 had a smaller production run.

Tim

243winxb
12-29-2009, 07:54 PM
1967- M600 available in 35 Rem, 308 Win., 222 Rem.,6mm Rem. 6.5 & 350 Rem Mag. 1971- M660 222,243,6mm 308. 1972 to 1979-Mohawk 600 Approximately: 97,594 made, no rib on bbl. 222 Remington, .243 Win., 6mm Remington, .308 Win. The 6.5 & 350 had laminited stocks. I did not find or remember anything on the 223 :confused: but here is one listed for sale http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/freeads/auction.cgi?action=ViewItem&ID=1216418875&Status=2

Marlin Junky
12-29-2009, 08:04 PM
I do have one in the original 35 rem.

Tim

Tim,

If you have a pair of calipers, would you mind measuring the inside diameter of the bolt face?

BTW, a .308 cartridge head will also fit in bolt face of my 336A.

Thank you,
MJ

Eutectic
12-29-2009, 08:05 PM
I have an original Rem 600 in .35 Rem. I bought it new when they first came out and serial is only 4,000 and something. Original 18 1/2" barrel is only .530" at muzzle. The gun is very accurate and has killed many deer.

I thought about re-chambering it one time quite a few years ago and tried .308 brass in the bolt face. It went in but was very tight... I thought it needed more clearance and never did re-chambered it to .358.... My gun functions and extracts/ejects great! I would worry if the gun you are looking at has the .308 size bolt face and extractor.

Eutectic

243winxb
12-29-2009, 08:23 PM
Shooting the rifle will tell you what u need to know. For what it worth, found this>
You can even re-barrel any bolt action with a bolt face sized for any cartridge based on the .308 Win. case. Even though the .35 Rem. has a rim diameter about 13/1000ths smaller, it will function just fine in rifles with a bolt face sized for cartridges like the .257 Roberts or any cartridge based on the .308 Win. case. http://www.gunsandhunting.com/35Rem2.html

12-29-2009, 08:31 PM
I have a M600, in 6mmRem 18" brl. I like it! I'd get another one.

Hidden bolt release? WHERE ! I've been looking for it for umpteen years and can't find it!

Blammer,
With the gun in a cradle facing away, take a small light and look into the space between the bolt and receiver on the left side. There will be a little flat lever end sticking up. You can take a small, thin screwdriver (like the ones with a magnet on the handle end:)) and depress that lever down as the bolt is pulled rearward.... should be able to pull bolt the rest of the way out ;-)

Rico1950
12-29-2009, 08:35 PM
Would you believe when the 1967 Remington Model 600 was released the MSRP was $99.00?

Marlin Junky
12-29-2009, 08:36 PM
Owned 308, 243 & Xp100 fireball, shot 6.5 rem mag. Great Firearms. Check for trigger replacement. OLD DATA

Hasn't the Ilion plant been closed down?

MJ

243winxb
12-29-2009, 09:09 PM
Hasn't the Ilion plant been closed down?

MJ
I do not know?:confused: Posted "Old Data" so you would know about the trigger.
Remington Modernizing Ilion Gun Plant
By Dickinson, Casey J
Publication: The Business Journal - Central New York
Date: Friday, March 24 2000
You are viewing page 1

ILION - Remington Arms, Herkimer County's largest employer, is modernizing its flagship plant to ensure future success at the gun maker's historic home. The facility is undergoing the second phase of a $14-million overhaul of its barrel-forging operations. The upgrade will allow Remington to reduce............ http://www.allbusiness.com/north-america/united-states-new-york/1161871-1.html Hammer forging barrels now instead of cutting the rifling, no wonder new ones dont shoot well. Some barrel makers now hammer forge the barrel chambers as well.:groner:

two dogs
12-29-2009, 09:49 PM
aint nothing wrong with hammer forged barrels.

RU shooter
12-29-2009, 10:02 PM
Tim,

If you have a pair of calipers, would you mind measuring the inside diameter of the bolt face?

Thank you,
MJ I measured mine and its .476 ,Also I checked and a 308 case will feed fine from the magazine ,I dont know if a 35 rem will feed from a 308 model though?

softpoint
12-29-2009, 11:42 PM
Here is a .358 winchester of mine. It is on a 600 action, it has a Shilen stainless barrel, 20 inches long and .720 at the muzzle. Stock is a Lone Wolf. I haven't weighed it yet, but it is very light.

DLCTEX
12-30-2009, 12:12 AM
My brother has a Mohawk in 6mm Rem. that has taken a load of deer since 1967. It was passed to his son, and now his granddaughters.

JesterGrin_1
12-30-2009, 12:31 AM
Here is a .358 winchester of mine. It is on a 600 action, it has a Shilen stainless barrel, 20 inches long and .720 at the muzzle. Stock is a Lone Wolf. I haven't weighed it yet, but it is very light.

That is one darn fine looking Rifle you have there SoftPoint. But with the 358W I am sure you know when you pull the trigger. :bigsmyl2:

Buckshot
12-30-2009, 02:57 AM
http://www.fototime.com/ED34B6DD9C39316/standard.jpg

............I've got a M600 in 6.5 Mag, and it came with the Remington supplied leather carry strap. I have a steel triggerguard/floorplate on it. It's LOUD! It's a light and very handy little rifle (Carbine?). I did question such a cartridge used with such a short barrel and heard or read that Remington was looking for .270 energy/ballistics and the 6.5 Mag is what they came up with.

It's small enough to almost need a holster:kidding:

..............Buckshot

odoh
12-30-2009, 03:38 AM
I have a usta be 600 Mohawk 308 and just inherited Dads 660 in the same caliber.

I recall the recall ~ IIRC it was by make model S/N & 1-800 number in the American Rifleman.

Called the toll free and the kid answering said its out side the range. So I bought it for $90.

Did get some reloads from Dad and recalling a hunting trip he had to sit in camp because his loads wouldn't chamber in his win 100, I was concerned that I might have the same problem ~ could never trust Dad. The kids were small and $ tuff back then so thot to cycle thru the action to make sure before driving to the range ~ paying fees to find ammo won't work so chose to do it at home. So I was cycling the ammo thru and it was tight! Then one let go (18" barrel) thru 11 Gospel albums keyhole thru the wall over the car somehow into the yonder.

My mind couldn't accept it but slowly did as the smoke in the confined area was burning my throat and eyes. Called the toll free number and was told its out the recall range and I explained what happened they were speechless. The kids thot it was great ~ we lived remote and they were liked f excitement in their lives. Got the local smith to contact the area rep and they investigated. Determined unauthorized trigger adjustment and ask if I wanted it swapped out anyway. Said do it.

Today was the first time I seen a printed recall on it and I do question it as the new trigger actually removed the bolt lock feature at least on mine.

I never developed a love for the 308 cal that Dad did and years later I started a project by having Pacnor put tight twist ss premium tube on it in 6.5-308 AI 40° shoulder (I'm a pushover for 6.5s) got some dies, fire formed some cases but got wrapped up in other things and its been sitting in the back of the safe for many many yrs and still don't really have time for it as now I'm into revolvers and casting. They are tight actions, read: precision made when Rem was quality. The 788 came out to replace it on the economy market. Some folks had a problem w/the plastic vent rib but that didn't bother me. The dogleg? Grows on you

As for the rifle, 6 bills is a bit much, seems like someone is just trying to recover his $ out of it. But if you the buyer really like it ~ then it is, for you at least. Its just money and I hear one can't take it w/you anyway. Now, for one in 6.5 RM or 350 RM (have a 700 classic in that cal) I would jump on it. Many are customize as for many yrs the industry didn't make what we fickle shooters wanted. Took awhile for us to appreciate the short mags versions of this model but by that time they quit producing them. Like the 280 rem, almost expired then we hand loader discovered what a versatile cartridge it was. I see my 350 classic as a 35Whelan in stumpy form.

RollerCam
12-30-2009, 03:53 AM
"In all the years he's had it, I've never fired the .350. The recoil in such a light rifle must be heroic."

Why, yes it is! I've handed mine to a few friends that told me they "weren't recoil sensitive." HA!

A friend of mine did have an AD with it once---fired on closing the bolt (good thing it was pointed downrange) which is what the recall was supposed to fix. Never had it happen to me, so mine is still unmodified.

My dad paid $129 for it in 1965.

Eutectic
12-30-2009, 12:48 PM
Tim,

Thank you,
MJ

Marlin Junky...

I'm not Tim... but I pulled my 600 bolt and measured the bolt face opening with a micrometer.

.4715"

Like my previous look years' prior, and current comments...... "squeaky" tight! (Rubbing on some rims)

A bigger fly in the ointment is the extractor itself. Here, apparently sized for the smaller extractor groove diameter on the .35 Rem it is big time tight on a .308/.358 rim and extractor groove. I personally think fitting would be required for the larger rim and extraction/ejection possibly coming into question if a .308 sized bolt face was used on the .35 Rem.

Eutectic

Larry Gibson
12-30-2009, 01:47 PM
Marlin Junky

"What if it started out as a .308? Would the bolt face be too sloppy for the .35 Rem?"

It probably started out as a .308W as that was the most common cartridge in the M600. Many were also rebarreled for the smaller PPC cartridge rim size. The .35 Rem works well in most standard '06 size bolt faces. Some Mausers with worn extractors give problems but a new extractor usually fixes that. You should have and excellent rifle there and I would consider it to be worth $600 given the Shilen barrel. My M91 Mauser has a Shilen 26" barrel with 14" twist on it and it functions and shoots excellently. I'd suggest you get it and go straight to the RCBS 35-200-FN. I size mine at .360" which barely touches the bullet and lube with Javelina. Over various charges of 4895 it shoots extremely well from 1800 fps to 2150 fps.

Larry Gibson

Glen
12-30-2009, 01:54 PM
The bent bolt handle was not just a marketing ploy, it served a very real purpose. The bolt handle on the Rem 600/660 is farther back than on most bolt guns. With a straight bolt handle the bolt knob had a tendency to smack the trigger finger in recoil (especially with some of the harder kicking carbines, like the .350 Rem Mag). The bent bolt handle moves the bolt knob forward and prevents this from happening.

PS -- My .350 Rem Mag shoots the SAECO 245 grain GC-FP VERY nicely at ~2150 fps with 4895...

Marlin Junky
01-01-2010, 05:48 PM
I shot the 600 today.

It wore a 4X scope and did about the same accuracy wise as my iron sighted 336A with the same ammo, though I only shot 8 rounds through it. The main reason I didn't want to own it was because it didn't feed 360-220 from the magazine. The chamber was a little short too and the rounds actually went over the chronograph somewhat faster than the 336 even though the Marlin has 2" more barrel. It obviously started out as a .243/.308 because the bolt face measured over .480" which I didn't care for either.

Better luck next time but I think may just invest in a good barrel for my M77 in .358... one with deep grooves and a 16" twist.

MJ

rockrat
01-01-2010, 08:09 PM
Those origional 35rem guns are worth a bunch of money. If you see one on GB, it will be well over 1K and I saw a 99% gun there for over 2K. I think the 35Rem and the 223 are the rarest.
I have 308,350 and 6.5 guns. 350 isn't too bad, but barrel heats up after about 4 rounds

JesterGrin_1
01-01-2010, 08:56 PM
Marlin Junky Save your M77 and get a Marlin XL-7 which is on sale at between $259.95 and $289.95 and change the barrel on that if you wish. And the good part is that the Savage Barrel will interchange with the Marlin along with the barrel nut. So maybe you can find a factory barrel in the caliber you wish or purchase one to throw on it. :)

Just ask Blammer as he changed his Marlin XL-7 to the 35 Whelen. And when my barrel gets here in a few months I am going to change my XL-7 30-06 to the 35 Whelen AI. :)

Marlin Junky
01-01-2010, 11:09 PM
Marlin Junky Save your M77 and get a Marlin XL-7 which is on sale at between $259.95 and $289.95 and change the barrel on that if you wish. And the good part is that the Savage Barrel will interchange with the Marlin along with the barrel nut. So maybe you can find a factory barrel in the caliber you wish or purchase one to throw on it. :)

Just ask Blammer as he changed his Marlin XL-7 to the 35 Whelen. And when my barrel gets here in a few months I am going to change my XL-7 30-06 to the 35 Whelen AI. :)

Good idea... I like the Savage trigger better though. However, the M77 has controlled round feeding which is a big plus, IMO. The Marlin and the Savage have similar feed control to the Remington but I have a feeling the reason this particular M600 today wouldn't feed my rounds loaded with 360-220 from the magazine was because the feed rails were too far apart for the .35 Rem cartridge (the rounds were catching at 6:00 where the magazine transitions into the feed ramp). Rechambering this rifle to .358 may be the way to go but with an initial price tag of 600 bucks, it needs to work (and work well) as is.

MJ

dakota
06-10-2012, 01:09 PM
Trust me the bolt handle needs to be forward or you will have a very sore first finger. I have had perhaps a dozen 600's and the prices they now bring has meant hat they had to go onto more appreciated places. I still have a M600 in 350 Mag, which I'll keep for elk in the dog hair pine thank you. My brother-in-law had that 350 mag for a while and had the handle replaced with a 700 handle. That really hurt!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/images/smilies/icon_exclaim.gif

Then he had the 700 handle turned around so that it swept forward rather then back. That didn't help and I got the rifle back. It took a little looking, but I found a 600 handle and it is now back to normal.

If you are shooting a .222 or something with little recoil, you might get by with the 700 handle. If you want to trade, I have a 700 handle which is swept forward. I'd gladly trade it to you for your 600 handle. I'd pay shipping both ways!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/images/smilies/icon_smile.gif

riorider
06-10-2012, 02:27 PM
I have two also one in 35 rem and one in 308 thats like a house afire!

Bigslug
06-10-2012, 02:35 PM
Mine started as a .243 with a burned out throat and a plastic vent rib that appeared to have been used as a dog's chew-toy. Courtesy of a free M700 take-off barrel from my gunsmith, it's now a .308 that shoots very well - so long as you accept that it's a skinny barrel that's only going to hold MOA for 3-5 shots.

There's two reasons for picking up a 600:

First is to have the shortest, lightest boonie-stomping rifle possible.

Second is that being so short, it's a good candidate for welding up the mag well to add stiffness for making a single shot benchrest gun, though one probably wouldn't want the magnum bolt face for this application.

The bolt handle: The fastest folks with a bolt action lift the knob with the side of the trigger finger, bring it back by rotating the palm in place on the grip, and shoving it forward and down with the thumb. Due to the shortness of the 600 action, the bolt handle had to be tweaked to place the knob in the correct position for this technique.

The bolt release by screwdriver is simply annoying. Fortunately, Heritage Arms has the fix, and I'll get around to that eventually. They've also got the fix for the cheesy plastic bottom plate, which I already have. These are the only real faults though. Fun little guns!