PDA

View Full Version : Primer price Question

nonferrous
12-29-2009, 12:06 AM
What are your thoughts regarding the possibility of the supply houses like Mid-South, Midway, etc. raising the price on Primers when their catalogs change over into 2010?

lwknight
12-29-2009, 12:10 AM
It stinks! What else is there to say?

bbs70
12-29-2009, 12:13 AM
Seems everything else is going up, so I guess they will also.:groner:

mpmarty
12-29-2009, 12:18 AM
Or the price may go down. Competition is at work on primers since Wolf and others have entered the market. When prices for an item go up people see an opportunity to enter that market and make some profit.

nonferrous
12-29-2009, 12:20 AM
My thought was, that it might make sense to place an order for a few 1000 and let them lay on back order for how ever many months it would take to fill.

rockrat
12-29-2009, 12:24 AM
Usually prices go up in January, about the time of the SHOT show. Powder Valley has already raised their prices on powder, I think, but not yet primers. I saw they had Wold LR in stock this evening.

lwknight
12-29-2009, 12:49 AM
I don't even know if they will honor the long time backorders prices.
I've had 15K Large primers on order with midsouth for 2 or 3 months and still it will be Feb, at the earliest.

lonewelder
12-29-2009, 01:27 AM
they have the best price i have found.and yes i worry they wont honor the back order price,but what do you do?order now,powder and primers may be even harder to get in the near future.bite the bullet and stock up.....as much as you can afford

mike in co
12-29-2009, 02:34 AM
i have no idea what will happen at the shot show, but it is where manufactures.distributors and retailers set thier buying nand prices for the year(except for the last 2 yrs when multiple prices hikes per yr happened).
wolf saw what you were willing to pay for primers and raised thier prices 25%. powder valley saw what you were willing to pay fro primers and raised my prices more. with all that i will be suprised if the american manufactures do not raise thier prices....significantly more than the 2-5% you might see in an average yr.

you just have to wait till the end of january to find out. i dod not know if i am going this year or not.

if you check powder valley's site, you will notice they are shipping instock items with in three days. this is a big improvement of the 2 weeks or more they were at. things are getting better.

mike in co

Bullshop Junior
12-29-2009, 02:55 AM
They always go up, what do you expect? Why groan and complain about something you can't prevent?

BTW - Primers where $35 at Sportsman's :groner:

VintageRifle
12-29-2009, 03:52 AM
Last time I looked, wolf primers cost more than CCI.

My past batch of primers came from graf. Ordered them April 17, 2009 and got them about a week ago. At the time of my shipment they still listed the same primers. $109.99/5000 plus hazmat and shipping.

Local gun shop has them for $35/1000

Randal45
12-29-2009, 11:50 AM
I asked this question to the Grafs rep. She stated that the website price at the time of placing the order is not guaranteed. She said that at the time that the primers arrive and are ready to ship if the price is different then they will call the customer to confirm the order at the new price.

mike in co
12-29-2009, 11:57 AM
Last time I looked, wolf primers cost more than CCI.

My past batch of primers came from graf. Ordered them April 17, 2009 and got them about a week ago. At the time of my shipment they still listed the same primers. $109.99/5000 plus hazmat and shipping.

Local gun shop has them for $35/1000

what you got was a great deal from a company with good customer service. they sold at 22 because they did not loose money...and it was good pr. what do they list for today at grafs ?(29 to 42 and all out of stock..lr)

as a dealer i cannot buy wolf primers at 22/k.

american primers are less , but the waiting list longer.

we will just have to wait till feburary.

mik ein co

BowHunter252
12-29-2009, 02:43 PM
I just got a call from grafs that my CCI LR primers are ready! I ordered 5-25-09, so its been 7 months. After shipping and hazmat, it will be less than $25 per 1000:)

fredj338
12-29-2009, 03:12 PM
My thought was, that it might make sense to place an order for a few 1000 and let them lay on back order for how ever many months it would take to fill.

I certianly would. I do NOT see primer prices going down anytime soon. I have 1K left over from the last shortage in 1991+/-. I paid $12.95 for it. Today they will cost you around $28/K depending on how many & what brand you buy. In another ten years, we could be looking back @ that as a good price.:veryconfu

Bucks Owin
12-29-2009, 03:22 PM
Well, I see some price gouging going on right now. Paid $5 a box for WLPs 2 weeks ago! Availability seems to be coming back but I guess some shops aim to "make hay while the sun shines". These prices may go on until this B. Hussein administration lands on the ash heap of history IMO...Dennis

mike in co
12-29-2009, 05:24 PM
Well, I see some price gouging going on right now. Paid $5 a box for WLPs 2 weeks ago! Availability seems to be coming back but I guess some shops aim to "make hay while the sun shines". These prices may go on until this B. Hussein administration lands on the ash heap of history IMO...Dennis

its only "gouging" if you pay more than YOU think it is worth.......else its just a price. the next guy thinks it worth the price and hapily pays....all in the eye of the beholder.

mike in co

OLPDon
12-29-2009, 06:26 PM
I don't even know if they will honor the long time backorders prices.
I've had 15K Large primers on order with midsouth for 2 or 3 months and still it will be Feb, at the earliest.

I venture they will honor your backorder went to the web site and there is not backorder for the primers. ie Midway expects prices to go up and Midway is a excelent Co. and wants to keep there cust. happy doing so happy cust. are returning cust.

Now as for the Price Primer Question
I would say if you need primers buy what you can when you can. If you look at primers as if it were the stock market one might never be happy. If the prices go down good for us all. There are quite a few items I have purchased and could of gotten cheaper later & the reverse is also true. Kind of like deer hunting should I let this 6 pointer pass by in hopes of a 8 or 10? And then go home will a nodda Buck.
There are a lot of happy owners of Gold who are quite happy now with there high return if I bought Gold yrs ago I would of plenty of $$$$ for primers and all the frills for reloading. One thing I did well on was a gun show bought lots of primers when there was plenty and cheap yrs ago. I bought them only because I don't go the to gun show often and I hate to run out of and have to reorder or have to drive 3hrs to get to a show. I think most of us are never happy with what we have on hand primers, lead, powder, ect...
Don

nonferrous
12-29-2009, 10:48 PM
It's interesting that Midway lists all their primers as out of stock and allows no backorders.
Midsouth lists them as out of stock, accepts backorders and shows a tentative shipping date. It looks to me that it would be worth a try to place an order, wait, and if the price goes up, make the decision at that time.

parrott1969
12-29-2009, 11:00 PM
I do not have a problem getting primers. My wife works for winchester and I can order up to 5000 per month. The best part, $20.00 per thousand delivered.

lwknight
12-29-2009, 11:12 PM
We hate you. LOL j/k
Parrot is it true that the companies are running 24/7 and building on?

canebreaker
12-30-2009, 11:23 AM
Wideners had wolf sp primers 28.00 per 1000.
22.50 hazmat, shipping and .0950 tax if instate delivery.

2 local reloading stores had wolf and megtech primers 39.99 per 1000, plus .0950 tax.

Local distributer, that doesn't sell primers on, had cci primers 28.00 per 1000 plus .0975 tax.