PDA

View Full Version : I am Stumped.

docone31
12-28-2009, 10:43 PM
Years ago, I found a way to make paper cartridges for my C&B .44 Navy.
It involved wrapping the paper around a dowel, but in a taper. Compressing the load tore the paper rather than useing a pin to puncture it. The ball was glued into the paper funnel.
I just cannot figuire the dimensions.
It was simple, one dowel with a taper made on it,
A board to set the cartridges, and fill with powder and glue the ball.
The cartridges took 30gns of powder.
Anybody have the sizes?

Mk42gunner
12-28-2009, 11:11 PM
I would start with a 7/16" dowel rod, sand a taper on it, then fill a test paper with the chosen powder charge to get the correct length.

Are you using cigarette papers, or what?

Robert

RayinNH
12-28-2009, 11:13 PM
If memory serves me, didn't the Dixie Gunworks catalogue have that info...Ray

docone31
12-28-2009, 11:16 PM
Mk, I think that was the dimension I used. 7/16 ths.
I will be useing cigarette papers untill I nitrate some computer paper.
I believe, the dowel was tapered, the paper was rolled around the taper and glued. The ball was glued on top of the cone when charged with powder. The bottom was folded and glued.
The pressure of loading burst the bottom of the cartridge, theoretically.
Thanks.
Soon , time to play.

beemer
12-29-2009, 12:53 AM
I haven't had a cap & ball revolver for years but I have worn one good one out twice and a cheep one once, that was enough for me. Both were .36 caliber, powder and caps were cheep and I had a ball. I blew enough Crisco across the back yard to cook a hog.

I tried cigarette papers but found them really fragile. I eventually ended up using onion skin paper and nitrating it. I used a tapered dowel and played around with it till I found the right size. I folded the paper over the ball and put a drop of glue on it. You have to watch the paper, I have set the yard on fire.

Dave

Doc Highwall
12-29-2009, 01:14 AM
You could start with using Pi to find the circumference of the lead ball and then trial and error on the amount of taper.

SmuvBoGa
12-29-2009, 12:42 PM
Gent's,

For cap & ball paper cartridges try using "hair roller papers" - yes you have to go into a Beauty Supply Shop but they are stronger than "Zig Zag" papers, cheaper to buy & folks don't think your a dope head - esp in a traffic stop. They come in a box & are SO easy to use - they take glue sticks well, too. :grin:

JohnMc