PDA

View Full Version : Arrrgh!

docone31
12-28-2009, 03:37 PM
Well, it happened.
My melts are in ingots. I kept them seperate. I thought I had my ingots for the pure lead. Well, now I do not know what is what. They all look the same, and are about the same hardness.
I have two distinctly different alloys. They all look the same when cool.
Boy.
My mind is slipping.
It now looks like I will have to make a blend of all of them. I did keep my pigs of pure seperate though. Only my ingots are mixed up.
Arrrrgh.

sqlbullet
12-28-2009, 03:47 PM
what is the alloy on the non-pure stuff?

Oh, and it has nothing to do with the mind. I have come close many times to mixing them up.

Springfield
12-28-2009, 03:59 PM
That's why my wheelweights are cast in Lyman moulds and make one big 6 lb ingot, my harder rifle alloy is in lyman 1 lb ingots, my pure lead is in 2 lb Cast Boolits ingots, my 60/40 lead/tin is in 1 lb Cast boolits ingots, and my regular BP alloy is in 1.7 lb ingots from moulds I bought here from anachronism. You need more ingot moulds!

docone31
12-28-2009, 04:10 PM
I usually keep it seperate, and I punch it.
However, I was into muzzle loaders for a while, so I put it aside.
I have a batch of crud in my melt that is just miserable to work with. I do not know what it is.
I had been blending it into my melt for casting at 20 wheel weight, to 1. Both ingots of the same size. With that blend, it worked real well.
All the tests came out the same with them.
The ball bearing test, nail depth test, dropping test, hitting them together. Same results, same sound.
It is just when they are molten and cast, the ones from the crud shatter, and do not pour well.
When molten, the colour is blue on top. Typical of lead. It just isn't.
I am just going to guess and try a batch when it is time to cast for my paper patching.

lwknight
12-28-2009, 04:28 PM
I resemble that!!
I got a set of 1/4" stencils at Northern tool for about $30.00
Since the bulk of my alloy for storage is 5 to 8 pound ingots,its not a big deal to stamp
the alloy onto it. Marks-O-Lot works too but, over time fades or gets rubbed out.
I keep the code simple. WW=clip on wheel weights Pb99=stick on WWs Pb999= pure
HB=92-2-6 etc
Make your own code that you will remembeer what it is.

SPRINGFIELDM141972
12-28-2009, 04:36 PM
I know the feeling and it sucks. I had a bunch of high tin 60/40 ingots and a bunch of babbit stacked up but seperate on the carport. Then the guys painting the house decided to move it without asking and piled it into a single pile.

Everett

fredj338
12-28-2009, 08:40 PM
A Sharpie works, so does a cold chisel. I just went w/ diff molds. Pure goes in 1# Lyman, ww in a 3# channel mold & range scrap in a custom 2#+ mold from GLockpost. So I always know what I have & need to smelt when low. You can get a good idea w/ a Cabintree tester.

Kskybroom
12-28-2009, 08:55 PM
+1 lwknight.. I use letters and numbers. Make yourself a code. BUT WRITE IT DOWN. Before I forgot.. Dont AX......

zomby woof
12-28-2009, 10:10 PM
I keep mine in labeled 5 gallon buckets

hiram
12-28-2009, 10:33 PM
I have 3/8 letter stamps.

I stamp lead L
linotype O
wheelweights W
range lead R

303Guy
12-28-2009, 10:59 PM
Well, now I do not know what is what.Hee hee hee!:mrgreen:

Forgive my mirth!:lol:

I now have about five different alloys in three calibers (two of which are 303 Brits for two different rifles) and several different papers and wrappings and I don't have the faintest recollection which is which!:bigsmyl2:
Ummm .... That's supposed to be a silly grin!:mrgreen:

I have said before I'm a scatterbrain!

Oh well. At least I had fun casting and wrapping them and actually getting my mold system to work properly!:roll:

lwknight
12-29-2009, 12:04 AM
I wanted 3/8" stencils but, the price is forbidding.

evan price
12-29-2009, 05:41 AM
I use an old *** lockback knife and scratch a letter in the ingots after I tip them out..

"W" = Wheelweights
"R" = Range Scrap
"L" = Lino
"S" = Stickons
"B" = Babitt
"T" = Tin Solder
"P" = Pure Plumbers lead

I also weigh each ingot to the nearest 1/4 pound - my molds make about 4lb ingots- and make a line on the edge to indicate if it is PLUS or MINUS the 4lb nominal. Makes it easy to total up how many pounds I have in the strategic inventory.

WHITETAIL
12-31-2009, 10:00 AM
:arrow:When I started I used a simple ax
to mark my lead.
A single mark is plane lead.
A W marked with a ax is WW.
Then as I got more lead I used
a chisel.
Then the marks were as each batch
I did got a new number.
III IIII V and so on.
They never fade or rub off.[smilie=w:

Von Gruff
01-01-2010, 07:33 PM
I use nail boxes to store the ingots seperate to each other and any mixes I individually mark on an ingot in that particular heap under the bench. So far no one has seen a need to re organise my gunroom. I have different pot, (old stainless kitchen pots that are distuingishable from each other) for each of the alloys so I never have to wonder what was left in the pot.

Von Gruff.

Jim
01-02-2010, 10:27 AM
drop them on a concreat floor the alloy will ding when dropped the pure will go thud. steve k
Works for me!
I usually keep it seperate, and I punch it. (From Docone31)
That works for me, too. I use an old solid steel carpenter's chisel.
L - lead
T - tin
A - mixed alloy, ready to cast

cbrick
01-04-2010, 02:11 PM
I've been hearing for many years that you shouldn't mark ingots with a marks-A-lot because it will fade out. I have always marked my ingots this way and my oldest ingots (15-20 years?) are still very clearly marked and not in the slightest faded. I do store them inside so oxidation is minimal and the ink isn't in the sun.

How long is this fading supposed to take?

Rick

tomf52
01-04-2010, 09:15 PM
Electric engraving pencil. Fast, easy, and never rubs off. About $10 at Sears.

Marlin Hunter
01-04-2010, 09:48 PM
Electric engraving pencil. Fast, easy, and never rubs off. About $10 at Sears.

+1

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/dremel-store_2084_6007268

zuke
01-04-2010, 09:57 PM
I picked up letter stamp's, then de3cided what da hey? so now all I use are straight WW.