PDA

View Full Version : Part 2 Paper patching for ML

idahoron
12-28-2009, 09:53 AM
Part 2

On my 50 cal my gun likes bigger bullets than .504 but I size the Paper patched bullets to .501 this gives me a bullet that goes down with resistance but not real hard. After hunting with these bullets for a couple of years I know they will not come off the charge.
My 45 is .458, and it likes bullets that are .454 naked. I size these to .451 I could probably go to .452 for a finished size but the .451 load well and are very accurate. I don’t use any lube on the paper when I am sizing the paper patched bullet. The reason is the lube can and does cause the paper to rip off the bullet when seating the bullet. I size dry and add some lube when I am target shooting but leave them dry when I am hunting.
Here is a target that shows the benefit of the paper patch.

http://i.imgur.com/BI2m1zF.jpg

This is a couple of targets from one of my 50’s. The bullet was a 500 S&W bullet made with the Lee bullet mould.

https://i.imgur.com/Ck1HerI.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/m3UN5SQ.jpg

This is the rifle. I made this rifle for my son to someday shoot a moose with if he ever draws.
It is a double triggers TC Renegade with a 1-28 twist 50 cal Stainless steel Green Mountain barrel. The rear sight is the same as the other rifle. The front sight is a Lyman 17 AML. This is the rifle I shot the buck with later in the article.

https://i.imgur.com/JlO6298.jpg

I started to think a couple of years ago that Hornady would someday quit making the 410 gr 50 cal Great plains bullet, turns out I was right. That’s what started me to thinking about making my own bullets. I started out not doing the paper patch. I just got discouraged with my lead bullets because I was not getting the groups I wanted out of my rifles. I found an article about paper patching and wanted to try it. Since then I have played with paper type, bullet hardness, you name it I tried it. One thing I have found is paper patch bullets sometimes need a wad between the bullet and the powder, I make my own. I use a 3/8 pipe nipple and sharpen one end for the 45. For my 50 I use a 1/2 “ pipe nipple. I then cut out my wads out of wool felt I get from a fabric store. The 3/8 pipe will cut a wad that measures about, .505
The 1/2" pipe with cut a wad about .507 to .508. I like my wads to be oversized to make a sure seal and not let any gas get around the wad. I lube the wad with Hornady Great Plains lube. On a few barrels I use a little chapstick for lube right before the bullet is pushed into the barrel.
One thing I have found is when you paper patch a bullet you get higher velocity from your normal charge. In the picture above you can see that the point of impact raised when I shot the paper patched bullets.
For me the paper patching has opened up my options in what I can shoot in my rifles. These days it seems like everyone is going to sabots. While I have had good luck with them we can’t use them to hunt here in Idaho. So I needed to find another way, and the factory conicals in my opinion are either great or ****. I love the Hornady Great Plains 410 gr 50 cal. Here is a TC bullet I found in one of my packs I bought.

https://i.imgur.com/8IHXraA.jpg

With this kind of bullet out there I had to try to make my own. I hope I can help other guys that are looking for a different way to get good shooting bullets.

And last the final product of the paper patching. Here are some game animals that a friend of mine and I killed with paper patched 460 gr 500 S&W bullets. My buck (the bigger one) was shot at a little over 100 yards. The bullet was a pass through and was not found.

https://i.imgur.com/daB0nu9.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/o2aCp7q.jpg

My load is 80 gr of Pyrodex P, a 460 gr paper patched bullet, and an over powder wad.
I tested this load a bunch in my rifle. I also have an Ohler 35 chronograph so I know what the rifle is REALLY doing .

velocity foot pounds of energy

muzzle 1310 1753

100 yards 1165 1387

150 yards 1108 1255

200 yards 1061 1151

250 yards 1022 1067

300 yards 988 997

This was written several years ago. Since then there are some things that I have changed. First I am hardening my lead a little. I am hardening it to .035 to .038 on my Cabine Tree hardness tester. This is a hardness of about 6 to 7 BHN but the actual BHN doesn't matter really. The most important thing is the dial indicator reading of .035 to .038 for my tester. I am sure that each tester is a little different.

https://i.imgur.com/xjbGBh9.jpg

Since I am on the topic of hardness if a person uses my method that I have described you don't want lead much harder than what I have posted. A young man sent me some bullets to patch and size. This is what happened.

https://i.imgur.com/X7nQM6q.jpg

These bullets were about 9 BHN I don't recall the actual dial indicator reading on these bullets. After I wrapped them I put them through the sizer. The paper tore right off. After a few tries I tested the lead and found it was hard. If a person makes bullets from lead harder than 7 BHN you need to wrap them and size them fresh. After they age harden you will not get them through the sizer without damage to the paper. In some cases the bullet may even get stuck in the sizer die.
My recommendation is to not use lead that is harder than .038 on the dial indicator.

I also want to make another update. This year Dec, 2017 is my 10th year paper patching the Lee 500 S&W bullet. I have learned some things in the last year that I didn't know before. First After I shot my groups and got my guns sighted in many years ago I switched from shooting paper to shooting steel. I haven't shot a paper group in many years. My Friend Lewis alerted me to the fact that some of his papers were riding all the way to the target.
I confirmed that some of mine were also being found at the target as well. I find paper on the ground in front of my target so I am thinking that at least in my case that some of the paper comes off and some is staying on. Lewis did a lot of testing with a couple different styles of paper and a lot of different bullets. I am using the 25% cotton paper that I was using many years ago. It is my thinking that when the powder goes off the bullet sets back and the grease grooves are pinching the paper in the grooves close to the base. Like I said before I am not sure how much is sticking and how often. But this is something to keep in mind. I know that the paper that I linked to above from the papermill store is a slicker finish than the cotton paper 9# onion skin that I am using.

Does the paper sticking affect the accuracy? I am sure it doesn't help. But from what I have seen over the years my bullets hit where they are supposed to out to 250 yards for my 50's, and 300 yards for my 45.
The paper I am using adds .006 to the diameter of the bullet. A smooth sided bullet in my opinion would probably do better for long range in the accuracy department. The paper would have a harder time sticking. But I have also read where guys shooting BPCR's are also seeing paper stick to their bullets too.

When it comes to my loads I am confident in my bullets ability to kill game quickly and efficiently. I am also confident in my, and my son's ability to put those bullets on the intended target out to 200 yards in all my guns. My original intent 10 years ago was to take an off the shelf mould, and sizer, and come up with a combination that would work better than factory made bullets. There are more moulds now than when I originally did this. Also internet commerce has changed a lot in the last 10 years. Getting custom moulds now is easy to do and the makers are easier to find and talk to for information. Getting custom sizer dies are also much, much easier to do now than 10 years ago. And in the last 10 years since I originally wrote this, a lot of guys are now paper patching, and most who started out with my guidelines have went on to change what they are doing and make their loads fit their needs. In the last 10 years I have had good luck with paper patching bullets. I am thankful that Hornady stopped making the 410 gr 50 cal bullets. They pushed me to find something better for me and my son. I am going to add some pictures from the last 10 years. Good luck and good shooting. Also I will add a short video that covers a lot of this.
I hope that this gives a little info on the paper patched hunting bullet. If you have questions feel free to ask. Ron

https://youtu.be/RmARVEFJbr0

https://i.imgur.com/3VJcFNE.jpg

Willbird
12-28-2009, 02:44 PM
This might sound like a dumb question, but what do you mean when you say "I size the paper patched bullets to .501" ?

Do you patch them, then run the patched bullet through a .501 sizer ??

Bill

idahoron
12-28-2009, 07:35 PM
Yes. The bullet is a .501 and I wrap them with paper and send them dry through a Lee .501 sizer. In these Green mountain and in the TC White mountain carbine the bullets go down good and will NOT back off the powder. Ron

Willbird
12-28-2009, 11:08 PM
I understand having a mold and using it, but that is a pretty hefty size down. My mold drops them at .504 when using pure lead.

Bill

idahoron
12-30-2009, 12:12 AM
I don't think that going from .504 to .501 is much at all. I am sizing down my 45's from .459 to .451. Ron

Underclocked
12-30-2009, 03:33 PM
Ron, do you put them through the sizer nose first?

Willbird
12-30-2009, 04:20 PM
I don't think that going from .504 to .501 is much at all. I am sizing down my 45's from .459 to .451. Ron

Well the bullet itself is .504, depending on the paper I would end up with .510 to.514 after PP, then size down to .501, that is a LOT of size down :-).

Bill

desteve811
12-31-2009, 11:11 AM
i have that lee mold and might have to try doing that, just need some paper....

docone31
12-31-2009, 11:39 AM
You will need the sizer also.

idahoron
12-31-2009, 12:09 PM
My mould throws at .501 with soft lead that is 5 BHN on my Cabbin tree. If I use lead that has any alloy in it the bullets are a bit larger but they never go over about .502 to .503 ever.

Bill, the paper patched bullet is not hard to size at all. Once and a while the paper will tear and I will have to re wrap but that is seldom. Most of the time that happens if the bullet is not started straight enough into the sizer.
If your mould throws at .504 you might want to size to .501 first. When I size lead before I wrap I use RCBS case lube to size with. I want the sizer to be clean and dry when i start to put paper patched bullets through it. Any lube left on the paper of for an extended period of time will cause the paper to tear off the bullet as it is pushed down the barrel. The only time I use lube is at the range. I will apply a very small amount of Hornady great plains lube to the paper. Most of the time I shoot them dry. Ron

idahoron
12-31-2009, 12:10 PM

Yes I send them through nose first. Ron

docone31
12-31-2009, 12:16 PM
When I paper patch my .303, and .308, I use Auto Wax to lube for sizeing.
I have some I have not loaded yet that have been sitting for over a year.
The patch is still solid to the casting.
I am wondering about that for Minie's.

desteve811
12-31-2009, 01:54 PM
You will need the sizer also.

Have it.

docone31
12-31-2009, 02:11 PM
I want to get a Minie' mold and sizer for my .50.
I got pretty good at paper patching the .30s, and .303s. .50 is next.

idahoron
12-31-2009, 07:10 PM
So on trhe auto wax tell me how you use it. Does it degrade the paper? Ron

docone31
12-31-2009, 07:36 PM
Doesn't degrade it at all.
I put some lightly on a finger on the top of the patch, then rub it around. The die pushes it down on the patch, and the excess goes off.
Makes a shiney tight patch. Fairly weather proof.
Go lightly. Too much does degrade it. A little dab will do ya.

Willbird
01-02-2010, 12:44 AM
I think I will get off dead center and modify(or make) a mold for a PP bullet for my ML. I think it will just be a full body bullet with a 118 degree nose (from a drill tip). I think I have a couple of Lee single cavity molds around that I positively hate the bullet they presently make, they would be a good donor set of blocks.

I did drive one of my bullets into the muzzle, and even at .515 it went into the rifling without tearing the patch, I could never seat it down on the powder being that tight however.

I'm curious what the minimum powder charge is in a 50 to get the bullet to slug up to groove size. I shot a few Hornady great plains over 50 grains of goex fffg and they were shooting minute of 55 gallon drum at 75 yards, upping the charge to 75 grains brought the group down to 1-2 inches.

Bill

idahoron
01-02-2010, 04:50 PM
When I was in the load development for my PP 50 I started out with 100 gr of Pyrodex RS. I was not getting a good group so I started to cut it back. I was getting hang fires and went to Pyrodex P and went to 90 gr. It shot well at 100 yards but 150 it was not as good. I cut back to 80 gr of Pyrodex P and I life was good. It shot so well I never went back.
If you were to run that bullet through a sizer and bring it down you will like it a bunch. Ron

Willbird
01-02-2010, 10:36 PM
Well I do not have a .500 sizer for one thing, and altering a bullet mold is just as easy as making a sizer ;-).

Plus the end result will be better, shooting "as cast" as opposed to sizing down .015" ??

Bill

idahoron
01-03-2010, 12:48 AM
keep us posted as to how the new mould works. Ron

idahoron
01-14-2010, 07:04 PM
I am going to bump this back up. Ron

idahoron
02-27-2010, 10:06 PM
Did you ever get a chance to try that mould? Ron

HEAD0001
04-22-2010, 08:44 PM
Couple of questions please. Just trying to learn a little bit.

First. I read your first post on Step 1. But I did not notice where you said you applied anything to make the paper "not unravel" after you patch the bullet. Do you use any type of glue?? Or what?? And if so do you apply it before or after you size the bullet??

I have a 50 caliber Lyman DeerStalker(FL) with the faster twist that I would like to try paper patched bullets. I have not slugged the barrel. I do not think I want to try to slug the barrel(not sure how I would get the slug out). I would like to try a paper patched conical in this rifle. What would you start with?? Which mold?? Which sizer?? Which alloy do you like?? Any suggestions are appreciated. regardless of how basic you think it is. Thanks, Tom.

idahoron
04-23-2010, 12:03 AM
No you don't want any glue. The paper has to come off the bullet as it comes out of the barrel. When I size the bullet with the paper on it presses the paper on. The paper won't stick to the bullet when it comes out of the barrel, but it helps the paper to stay on until then. I size them DRY!!!! If you lube the paper before you size the lube can cause the paper to fail and rip going down the barrel.
Do you know what your twist is for that rifle? If your twist is 1-28 or faster I would try this Lee C-501-440-RF. I have seen it shoot well out of a TC White mountain carbine. I think they are 1-38 twist I think. Anyway, I would try those bullets and the Lee .501 sizer die. Use pure lead sizing paper patched bullets with the paper on is tough with hard lead.
Also use a felt over powder wad to help protect the bottom of the bullet. Try 80 gr of Pyrodex P for a starting load. Every gun I have tried likes this load. MAKE SURE you don't have any lead fouling in the barrel. This will cause accuracy problems. Any other qusetions feel free to ask. Ron

RBak
11-26-2010, 08:46 PM
I'm going to bump this thread back up....I lost it for awhile and couldn't find it.:sad:

I've got my new 1:28 barrel, and finally got sights on it. However, I have been waiting on my mould and sizer for a week or thereabouts. When I check Midway, it just says "shipped".
However, there was a holiday yesterday, so maybe Monday or so.

Russ

idahoron
11-26-2010, 09:40 PM
Good luck with the bullets. I have found that water pipe lead is about perfect for hardness. Xray room lead is also good. My gun likes about 6 BHN hardness. Let me know how it goes. Ron

idahoron
05-11-2012, 09:37 PM
Bumping back up to the top. Ron

garbear
09-26-2012, 08:56 AM
Anyone try a conical like a maxi ball? I have that mold drops bullets at 370 grains. My rifle is an T/C Omega X7. My barrel is 24" long so short compared to some muzzle loaders. If the maxi works all i need is a sizer.
Garbear

newton
09-26-2012, 11:10 AM
Anyone try a conical like a maxi ball? I have that mold drops bullets at 370 grains. My rifle is an T/C Omega X7. My barrel is 24" long so short compared to some muzzle loaders. If the maxi works all i need is a sizer.
Garbear

I might be wrong, but I am going to guess that the lube grooves might be too big for paper patching the maxi. But if you ever want to get rid of that mold give me a shout.:D

I am thinking that the maxi would work best as it is. My barrel on my CVA is 24". Have you tried it as is? Might make a difference in accuracy by putting a wad underneath also.

Rattus58
02-09-2013, 07:46 PM

Yes I send them through nose first. Ron

See... this aint the mallard method probably not.... :-D

Rattus58
02-09-2013, 07:52 PM
No you don't want any glue. The paper has to come off the bullet as it comes out of the barrel. When I size the bullet with the paper on it presses the paper on. The paper won't stick to the bullet when it comes out of the barrel, but it helps the paper to stay on until then. I size them DRY!!!! If you lube the paper before you size the lube can cause the paper to fail and rip going down the barrel.
Do you know what your twist is for that rifle? If your twist is 1-28 or faster I would try this Lee C-501-440-RF. I have seen it shoot well out of a TC White mountain carbine. I think they are 1-38 twist I think. Anyway, I would try those bullets and the Lee .501 sizer die. Use pure lead sizing paper patched bullets with the paper on is tough with hard lead.
Also use a felt over powder wad to help protect the bottom of the bullet. Try 80 gr of Pyrodex P for a starting load. Every gun I have tried likes this load. MAKE SURE you don't have any lead fouling in the barrel. This will cause accuracy problems. Any other qusetions feel free to ask. Ron

I got here via a reference from another thread... If I'm reading you correctly, you are sizing the bullets first to bore sized... in my case a .451 with .458 groove. You size to .451. You wrap to .458 and you then size again with a dry patch.... or you cast a bullet to whatever, wrap to .458 and size to .451. Is this correct? My real question is, is the final product bore sized or groove sized... I'm thinking you're saying BORE sized... am I reading this from the lily pad correctly?

Much Aloha... 8-)

Green Lizzard
02-10-2013, 12:42 AM
i size the lee 380 grain minnie to .490 wrap and size again .501 shoot in both 48 and fast twist barrels testing is ongoing but looks good so far

idahoron
02-10-2013, 12:57 AM
I got here via a reference from another thread... If I'm reading you correctly, you are sizing the bullets first to bore sized... in my case a .451 with .458 groove. You size to .451. You wrap to .458 and you then size again with a dry patch.... or you cast a bullet to whatever, wrap to .458 and size to .451. Is this correct? My real question is, is the final product bore sized or groove sized... I'm thinking you're saying BORE sized... am I reading this from the lily pad correctly?

Much Aloha... 8-)

I size to bore size for the 50. On my newer .451 fast twist I pour the bullets at .446 and wrap. Then I size them to .446 again. The swell back out to about .448 or so. This combo for this barrel is perfect. They slide down just a pinch easier and shoot better.
Sizing the .458's or the .459's down to .451 is just a little too far. They shot well enough but sometimes I had to wrap them twice and that wasn't good. I am looking for a 475 to 550 gr mould that is .450 for the .458 until then I am shooting the 451 it shoots great. Ron

idahoron
02-10-2013, 12:59 AM
i size the lee 380 grain minnie to .490 wrap and size again .501 shoot in both 48 and fast twist barrels testing is ongoing but looks good so far

I have done that with the 45 minie. Are you pushing them hard? IN my 45 I could push them way faster than I could naked. Ron

Green Lizzard
02-10-2013, 01:04 AM
80 grains swiss is as far as i have gone so far acc is better than full bore slugs and sabots

Rattus58
02-10-2013, 02:04 AM
I size to bore size for the 50. On my newer .451 fast twist I pour the bullets at .446 and wrap. Then I size them to .446 again. The swell back out to about .448 or so. This combo for this barrel is perfect. They slide down just a pinch easier and shoot better.
Sizing the .458's or the .459's down to .451 is just a little too far. They shot well enough but sometimes I had to wrap them twice and that wasn't good. I am looking for a 475 to 550 gr mould that is .450 for the .458 until then I am shooting the 451 it shoots great. Ron Hi Ron, so you size to roughly .004 underbore and wrap... I'm gonna have to find a different mold or make one. You are using grooved bullets or straight sided?

Aloha.. Tom 8-)

Nobade
02-10-2013, 09:51 AM
I am looking for a 475 to 550 gr mould that is .450 for the .458 until then I am shooting the 451 it shoots great. Ron

Hi Ron,

Check with Buffalo Arms. I have one of their 545gr. Creedmoor moulds in .442" that I use in my 47-70, and like it a lot. I believe they make the same thing in .440" as well. They have a pretty good selection of paper patch moulds available, and make a good quality iron mould. I also buy from Tom at Accurate molds, he has many good slick designs and will make whatever size you want but can't put a hemispherical nose on it like Buffalo Arms does; all his designs are flat nosed. Great for hunting, not as good for long range.

Edit: OOPS! I misread your original post, thought you said .440" and not .450". You evidently have a large bore 45 cal. muzzleloader? Either way those outfits make good moulds and may have something you want.

idahoron
02-10-2013, 10:11 AM
Hi Ron, so you size to roughly .004 underbore and wrap... I'm gonna have to find a different mold or make one. You are using grooved bullets or straight sided?

Aloha.. Tom 8-)

I am wrapping the 50's as cast then sizing to .501. For my .451 the bullet I use is .446 as cast then I wrap and size to .446 then they swell back out to about .448 after sizing. They fit the barrel with enough resistance to stay on the powder. The amount of pressure required to seat the 45 cal is about the weight of the brass range rod. The 50 requires a fair amount of push to seat the bullets. If I had a .496 sizer I would size the patched bullets to that instead of .501. Ron

idahoron
02-10-2013, 10:15 AM
Hi Ron,

Check with Buffalo Arms. I have one of their 545gr. Creedmoor moulds in .442" that I use in my 47-70, and like it a lot. I believe they make the same thing in .440" as well. They have a pretty good selection of paper patch moulds available, and make a good quality iron mould. I also buy from Tom at Accurate molds, he has many good slick designs and will make whatever size you want but can't put a hemispherical nose on it like Buffalo Arms does; all his designs are flat nosed. Great for hunting, not as good for long range.

Edit: OOPS! I misread your original post, thought you said .440" and not .450". You evidently have a large bore 45 cal. muzzleloader? Either way those outfits make good moulds and may have something you want.

Ya I have a Renegade that is a .458 and for years I sized the Lee trap door bullets to .451 then wrapped them then sized again to .451 but that is too far to take a .459 bullet. I have tried the .446 bullets as wrapped and they don't seem to shoot that well, but that bullets is 385 gr. I am thinking the 1-18 twist would like a longer bullet. Ron

johnson1942
02-10-2013, 04:05 PM
ron, your right i dont think the diam. is the problem, the bullet is probably too short for your twist. i shoot between 400 grains and 620 grains and they do great. the 620 probably is good only to 300 yards and the best all around would be 500 to 550 grains. i find my .45 1/18 twist isnt very fussy and if used for a deer and antelope only it will do the trick what ever in put in it. got to be friends lately with a native american man who is a school teacher here. he fell in love with may renagade with the .45/1/18 twist rifle. he told me he gets to shoot three buffalo for the tribe this summer and wants to use the renagade with the 620 grain bullet. it would be a privilege to load for him and let him use it for the buffalo. with 110 grains behind that bullet it should do the deed. if it happens this summer i will post the results.

Underclocked
02-10-2013, 05:47 PM
Ron, when you quote bore dimensions are referring to groove to groove or land to land measure. I'm inclined to think you are measuring groove to groove based upon your comments about fit.

Rattus58
02-10-2013, 06:18 PM
Ron, when you quote bore dimensions are referring to groove to groove or land to land measure. I'm inclined to think you are measuring groove to groove based upon your comments about fit.

Ya I have a Renegade that is a .458 and for years I sized the Lee trap door bullets to .451 then wrapped them then sized again to .451 but that is too far to take a .459 bullet. I have tried the .446 bullets as wrapped and they don't seem to shoot that well, but that bullets is 385 gr. I am thinking the 1-18 twist would like a longer bullet. Ron

Funny how I'm able to completely misread stuff sometimes.... :-D

Underclocked
02-10-2013, 08:11 PM
I don't know if it's funny or not. ;) Am I misreading or is it just a bit confusing? Or are you?

Fly
02-10-2013, 08:46 PM
Rons thread needs to be a sticky.He has done a lot of research & people that come to the form will use it.

JMOHOP Fly

Rattus58
02-10-2013, 08:47 PM
I don't know if it's funny or not. ;) Am I misreading or is it just a bit confusing? Or are you?Were it not my Uncle that sayed once that the only time I seemed confused was when I got it right.... or were it the only time I's right is when i'm confused...

The consensus even wit the Dirty Little White Boys is that you pour, you patch, and you size to the bore. I linked to accurate a 430-475 that tomorrow I'll ask them if they can squeeze something like that down a bit so its a single pour, patch and one time through the sizer back to .451 or maybe .452 mostly all on the patch.

Aloha.. 8-) :drinks:

Nobade
02-11-2013, 08:44 AM
It works even better to start with a mould the right size. Pour, wrap, and shoot. Once you know how big the bore on your rifle is and know what paper you are going to patch with, then you can order a mould the right size. For example I use paper than adds .007" to the final diameter with two wraps. So I get a mould that is .008" smaller than the bore of my rifle. The finished boolit loads easily, even in a fouled bore and shoots accurately. Very simple.

Rattus58
02-11-2013, 01:23 PM
It works even better to start with a mould the right size. Pour, wrap, and shoot. Once you know how big the bore on your rifle is and know what paper you are going to patch with, then you can order a mould the right size. For example I use paper than adds .007" to the final diameter with two wraps. So I get a mould that is .008" smaller than the bore of my rifle. The finished boolit loads easily, even in a fouled bore and shoots accurately. Very simple.

Indeed it is.... now to find the right paper... :-)

Thank you... Much Aloha.... 8-)

idahoron
02-11-2013, 08:41 PM

I haven't measured that gun in a while but I think it is Groove to Groove. I haven't shot that gun in a long time. Ron

idahoron
02-11-2013, 08:51 PM

That is kind of how it is with my .451 Those bullets are .446 and after I wrap they would probably go down fine. I like to size them again because it helps keep the paper on until I load. If I had a .450 or a .449 sizer I would probably use those but since the Lee sizer would have to be custom I use what I had and it worked well. I have wanted a .496 mould that is exactly the same as the Lee C-501-440-RF for a long time. Since the one I am using is knocking down animals on a regular basis I tend to not what to fix something that isn't broke.

I have had good luck and bad with the .458 it seems to do very well one time then not so good another. Sizing the .459 bullets down to .451 I think was just too far. I want to try it in a different stock and see how that works. And like I said before I do think I am shooting a bullet that is too short for that twist. Ron

wgr
02-12-2013, 02:13 AM
i have a sizer die that is .495. I size the boolit down to .495 pp it and size to .501. I use a smooth boolit.Out of my hawken it shoots great with 90 grains of 2f. bill

idahoron
02-12-2013, 10:05 PM
That is what I like to hear. Ron